Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WDT 8/2/13

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I looooooooove Arizona. Most beautiful place in America. Not the attitudes, but the scenery (haven't seen Alaska but I love the desert). Scorpion and spiders are one thing. Next door in New Mexico (other places too?) is home to this pretty girl:

[​IMG]

...the Tarantula Hawk. Besides the females being human hand-sized with a third-of-an-inch long stinger and the second most painful sting on the entire earth next to the Bullet Ant, these cute critters paralyze tarantulas, drag them back to their layer, lay their eggs in the spider's abdomen which hatch and the larvae eat the spider alive, leaving its heart and nervous system so it stays alive for a maximum amount of time.

It's New Mexico's state insect. Sleep well tonight, kids.

2. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck you crown, I'm totally creeped out by that. (Grabs beer, drinks aggressively)

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: WDT 8/2/13

Bewildered will either back me up here or vehemently disagree with me, but check out Mobile, AL. I went there with a buddy of mine that's a local and that town i s awesome. Om the bay so you get t jat breeze, good bar/restaurant scene, and its the south so its cheap as hell. Bought my first 30 rack there, at way to early in the morning solely because 24 is the max at home.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Now that I've moved away, I love Mobile. It is a decent sized place, has a moderately culturally diverse population because of its location and port, good access to the bay and nice beaches, Mardi Gras, inexpensive, close to the country....ahhh. It's still hot as hell though, that is the one big drawback. I am so excited to move back.

Unrelated:

[​IMG]

Edit: although I may be a little biased in my experience with the "culturally diverse population." My parents have rented to a large number of people here on visas (Honduras and Brazil) and Mexican workers at Thyssenkrupp and I knew a lot of foreign students through the university.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If there's one place in America where you're guaranteed to see what I call Other America, it is the shrine known as Waffle House. This is where the top 1% of Wal-Mart lowlifes converge in a Voltron of Awesomeness. My wife and I sit across the table and every 5 or so minutes we're giving each other a look that says "Look what just walked in NOW." followed by barely contained laughter. The waffles are alright (and the size of a boogie board), but the ones I make in my iron I like better. I know why people pack the place: the people who consider it fine dining and the people who go to view them.

For real, I didn't think ANYBODY owned a Bedazzler anymore until we went to the one near Downtown Disney. Srsly. White snakeskin cowboy boots, polyester Haggar slacks topped off with a comb-over that looks like it was constructed by a spider on a Vicodin drip. Awesomeness. It qualifies as a Halloween constume where I live.

6. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been to Talladega and that was fun but not (I'm guessing here) representative of the rest of the state. I'd love to check out Mobile and I think, I'm a bit averse to big cities, it might be about the right size. Thanks for the direction.

7. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We don't have Waffle Houses in Northern Indiana but I see them in Louisville when I head down for the North American or the National Farm Machinery Show. I went once. The food sucks compared to Greek restaurants we have here. The people watching is first class awesomeness though.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You fucks leave the Waffle House alone, make fun of the Huddle House if you want, that's some fucked up food right there.

9. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fixed that for you, Crown.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The one in Kissimmee was when I got to experience these Florida People that Black Jesus warned me about. People full-on threatening their kids with fear and violence just for acting like kids. Fat guys with porkchop sideburns still visibly zipping up coming out of the john. My favourite was the family of seven getting out of a car that seats five with four-count em-four different sizes of tires. My wife: "THIS is the time we don't have the camera."

What's worse? Ugh. There is one that I personally know of: Houlihan's. My GOD. It starts with drinks you can dock a SeaDoo in and then yells in your ear "Oh, you think Black Angus knew how to murder people?" And then it puts hooks in your nose, binds you to the table face-up like Gulliver and mouth-rapes you while grabbing your hair.

11. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I will personally beat the fuck out of everyone here who speaks ill of the Waffle House with a tire iron. You shut your whore mouths.

12. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe our Houlihan's is like your waffle house? Kentucky is a different place and while it doesn't suck it's in the middle. Further south and Waffle Houses might be magical. Further north and Houlihan's are alright and actually have good bands on St. Pats. I'm not willing to fight about it but if Louisville's Waffle Houses are indicative of the rest I think I might as well take a tire iron to the skull. I might fit in then.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Waffle House can suck a dick. Silver Diner is the king of shitty drunk breakfast food.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is actually a Waffle House in Turner Field now as of about a week ago. The way they're scattering hits, smothering other teams and covering the outfield, that should be obvious.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Waffle house is the best! Breakfast all the time? Yes. Greasy hangover cure food at 3am on a Tuesday? Yes. Bacon?

Well, I think I've made me case.

17. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crown I think your Canadian hockey rednecks are migrating to warmer places. When food shopping this morning I saw a rather unevolved fella with a mullet to end all mullets wearing a Canadiens jumper with Carey Prices number on the back.

First beer going down in preparation for the Rugby later this afternoon. Go the Chiefs!!!

18. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Waffle house waffles and hash browns are only good if I ask them to burn the shit out of them, because apparently floppy limp waffles and shredded potatoes are the norm.

On the flip side, their patty melts are so good I slide under the table into a coma every time I eat one. And if I do eat breakfast there, it must somehow involve a bowl of grits into which I dip my toast.

So today was the first time we went to Busch Gardens after that lady died at Six Flags in Texas. Obviously Murphy's Law is that *this* is the summer when my kid starts flexing her roller coaster muscles and so we did Verbolten, Alpengeist, and Apollos Chariot (twice). Each and every time I kept thinking, "This could be the moment I die a horrible death because I didn't click this thing into place well enough." I also kept thinking the same thing every time I watched a fat person struggled to click their bar into place. One dude had to leave the ride because his wouldn't click enough. At one point my daughter didn't click hers far enough for my satisfaction and the whole time I was convinced I would be watching my daughter's death. Naturally, this entire time I didn't say word one to her about what I was thinking. She was at the Texas Six Flags with her dad and stepmom just a few weeks before the lady died. I'm sure she hasn't heard about it and I am sure as shit not gonna tell her. I just kept my neurotic bullshit to myself so she can continue to have a fun summer.

19. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mahne, I could use some Waffle House about now.

20. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As long as you aren't morbidly obese like that lady you should be fine. Fat apparently does interesting things when it comes to restraints and shock from impacts and so on. It doesn't behave as one solid mass, it tends to go in many different directions as evidenced here:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.