Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 6/12/2020 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dad had me watch Alien when I was about ten because it was a classic movie. That’s the type of house I lived in.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I only remember loving that movie as a kid. I can't recall the plot, not one bit, but I remember the imagery very well. It was 35ish years ago, so I may have to watch it and dissect what psychological damage it may have done to my young mind.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents recommended I read IT when I was 11. I swear it must have been to keep from sneaking out of the house at night.

For board members with young children the above is not recommended parenting. Unless you hate your kids, then go for it.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Your dad is both cool and correct. Nothing wrong with doing that.

There was almost no restriction on R-rated movies in my house. The only one I wasn’t allowed to watch was Scarface—- which was an excessive, exploitive movie but the eighties produced stuff far more extreme. They let me watch Amityville 2: The Possession when I was six, a sleazy, disgusting and altogether “Wrong” movie. The kids I was babysat with after school were older, and did nothing but watch hardcore horror and ultra-violent, low-budget sci-fi movies. I was trained early in life not be scared by what’s on screen.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

My sisters had me watch a couple Steven King movies that traumatized the hell out of me when I was around age 4. Tommy Knockers, would not recommend. I had nightmares for years over that one.

6. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve given my kids the choice as to viewing R rated movies. My oldest will watch action movies and some horror (only with me tho) but my youngest genuinely doesn’t like graphic films. The only one he’s wanted to watch was Deadpool because fucking Deadpool. I find it interesting as I was forbidden to watch R movies as a kid and I made sure to watch every single one I could.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you watch that now, you will laugh your ass off at how BAD it is. All those Stephen King made-for-TV minis directed by Mick Garris did NOT age well. They took some of King’s most classic stories:

It
    The Stand
    Golden Years
    The Shining
    The Langoliers

...they all sucked. The only one that was any good was the first TV movie, “Salem’s Lot”. And it’s severely aged, except of course for one scene:

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The TV version of The Shining is an abortion. No wonder Kubrick changed so much shit from the source material.

As for other TV adaptations, I did think Storm of the Century was pretty good.

Edit: Actually, that one is is not an adaptation. It was written as a screenplay for TV.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Storm Of The Century was above average for a Network-produced show. Colm Feore was an AWESOME villain in it.

“The Stand” and “The Dark Tower” need proper, big-budget cable TV remakes. They are his magnum opus epics, all they need are better endings since King can’t write a decent ending even WHILE on cocaine.

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven’t had a chance to see 11/22/63, but that book was great. I think he thanked his son in the acknowledgements for basically giving him a better ending than he had originally.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Just show your kids the movie Twister when you live in a place with tornadoes. Fuck that.

shortly after it I was in my first tornado. I’ve been in a few since. None have been as terrifying as seeing that movie.

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That movie teaches you a valuable lesson. The only thing more strong than an F5 tornado is a good belt. Also keeps you from being panced. If only Hellen Hunts dad had one.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Read the back of the VHS:

“Rated PG-13 for intense storm situations.”

....Poltergeist got a PG rating but here we have “Aw gee honey, I don’t think the young’uns should be watching this here film what, with all the intense wind and rain being launched at the screen.”

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Dude, who has time to hook in a leather strap when you need to hold on to the Bilco doors? Put the rest of the family in the safe spot, I’m going kite-surfing!

Honestly one of the dumbest movies ever made.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Doing pulled pork for Father’s Day (in laws are coming over and if I want good food, the only way to get it is for me to cook it). Went to the grocery store expecting a shortage and slim pickings on pork shoulder, turns out it was the exact opposite.

Smallest bone in pork shoulder I found was 16 lbs, i went for the best looking one which was 20 lbs and cost me a whopping $29 and change. Normally if I end up with a big one it’s around 14 lbs on the high end. Only explanation I can think of is with the issues in the processing plants, there’s a backlog so the pigs they’re sending through are bigger now?

anyone else have any insight on this? Either way I’m beyond thankful that meat hasn’t skyrocketed, at least around here. Only thing there was a purchase limit on was cleaning supplies. There were more big cuts like racks of ribs, briskets, pork shoulders etc than I have seen in a very long time. Normally around this time of year they’re low anyway just from so many people BBQing in the nice weather.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I believe PG-13 didn't come out until PG-rated Temple of Doom came out and traumatized an entire generation of kids.

17. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do not remember what movie spurred the creation of PG-13. I do remember that "Red Dawn" was the first movie to get the PG-13 rating.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yeah I'm scare of when it's that time of the month for my wife too.

I call it "shark week" though

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Temple of a Doom invented the PG-13 rating. Raiders had to censor its climax with fire or it would have been rated R.

But when it comes to extreme PG-rated movies, the trophy goes to Grizzly. Tearing off a five year old kid’s leg, you can’t do that in a movie anymore, PERIOD:

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

More terrifying 90's PG-13 movie:

or

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.