Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 5/29/20 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Here goes the shot in the dark:

does anyone on here know how to paint?

my step father is dying of cancer and for perhaps his last Father’s Day I’d like a painting version of a picture I have of him and his hand built wooden boat. I’ve tried online and it’s all just ads and the same old same old.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

There's no fancy holidays today, but it's almost June and the temps are ramping up. Let's continue talking about lawn equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eye protection but not genital protection? She's gonna be in a world of hurt when she comes across a stick.

We are looking for a new weed eater / edger and are considering a Stihl now. They must be running a company sponsored sale because the Ace hardware has them on sale and the equipment comes with $40 off a battery. Is there a specific line or battery type I need to be looking for?

And when we're finished with the yardwork:
    [​IMG]

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If I was to get battery lawn equipment it will be Milwaukee strictly to keep everything the same and I have the batteries. Otherwise it would be Stihl. If I was starting up a landscaping company, Stihl would be the handheld equipment. Most companies use it, and for good reason. They are the Ed Harris of outdoor tools: Not pretty; but tough, long-lasting, universally acclaimed and garnish strange sex appeal.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, they are.

I intentionally went with all the same battery types across all of my yard tools. I think the entry level trimmer has an internal battery, so I got the next level up so that it had the same battery.

This is the battery: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/batteries-and-accessories/batteries/ap300s/

They were deeply discounted when you bought them with the tool... but in theory you could just buy 2 batteries (one and a spare for the mower) and use it for everything.

That was my thinking... ensure that all of the tools used the same battery so if one ran out, I could go grab the spare or pillage one of the other tools for it.

And in other news, Stihl is now making a carbon fibre trimmer line in the .080 diameter for the non-pro trimmers. It was only in the 0.095 but the demand was high enough that they started making it for the non-pro gear. It's like a steel cable, and I highly recommend it... doesn't get chewed all to shit like the green or red fishing line crap.

This is THE SHIT.

[​IMG]

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

For anyone who lives in the New England area, Treehouse Brewery has an awesome curbside pickup process for cans. They’re still expensive as shit though. The last variety case I got was $114.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love Treehouse. When I visit family, I always pick some up.

Found out that a neighbor of a friend is somehow getting Treehouse in North Carolina. I have no idea what his connection is but I've had 8 new Treehouse beers in the last few months.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s almost bar prices. Is it THAT good?

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

There’s definitely a hype effect, but I’d say it is that good. You can’t buy it in stores so you have to get it at the brewery and they have a huge variety of different types. The only other breweries in the Northeast that I actually like are Trillium, Foundation and Harpoon, only because they make awesome pretzels out of their extra yeast at the brewery.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Well, frick. Crazy thunderstorm storm is rolling through. We have a tree down in our yard, the back fence is fucked up, and half of our roof shingles are on the ground. Looks like we are getting a new roof. Wind gusts are well over 60 miles per hour, maybe over 70. This is supposed to go on until tomorrow afternoon.

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you guys have some sort of state emergency service that helps with that shit or do you have to fix it yourselves. In Aus each state has it's own mostly volunteer driven service that responds to all manner of shit, I've done jobs putting tarps on a roof or cutting trees off them and then bush search and rescue stuff.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

This is our first home that we actually own so I may be a little off in the details of how some of these things work. I think that those kinds of services (like fema, @downndirty??) are pretty much only available if the area is under a state of emergency as declared by your governor or you are in a natural disaster ( usually state of emergency is declared anyway, like hurricanes) where people or organizations (coast guard, churches, cajun navy) are coming out to give aid.
    In our situation we have to file a claim with our insurance and use our homeowners insurance which will fund private companies or contractors to come make repairs or replacements. We will be meeting our deductible and our roof was a little older anyway so this isn't the worst thing in the world for us.

12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finally had a chance to make a Paloma. They are refreshing. That is all.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

yup, homeowner's insurance will fix that real quick. They'll pay to fix the roof and fence and you got free firewood out of the tree. If it's anything like down here, your mailbox will get flooded with fliers from roofing companies approximately 32 seconds after the storm passes.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I kinda doubt it. All the contractors around here are insanely busy and have all the work they want. It's been a real bitch getting people to come give estimates or do repairs under nornal circumstances, how we have to compete with everybody else who needs repairs at the same time.

We actually had the contact info for a roofer who just replaced our neighbor's roof to tell us if we needed a repair or replacement due to some missing shingles and he stood us up twice this past week. Now we really need a replacement asap. I'll be burning up the phone this week to find anybody.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Look for 24hr service, call, and get on a list. My neighbours spent a month trying to find someone to do the work last time we had a storm come through.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Nettdata What is this ''24 hr service '' you speak of?

I've honestly had most luck asking for names/contacts on the local Facebook groups. I'll be asking about contractors on those groups tonight to hopefully get some communication started before the weekend is up.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Roofers advertising 24hr emergency service.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Also, if you are going the insurance route, call them now. They have a vested interest to get it fixed ASAP as it will reduce potential damage and cost. They should know how to get shit done fast.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my area, it's like Nerds said. If we have a storm, there are roofers putting on blue tarps and leaving cards / flyers in mailboxes before the next morning. I've had two flyers left in my mailbox in the last 2 weeks and we don't even have damage.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Well, no flyers for roofers or tree removal, nor any 24 hr services around here, but I did manage to submit my insurance claim online and get a roofer to agree to come by tomorrow. I have more calls to make but at least the ball is rolling.

I hope insurance covers the tree removal because I do not want to be dealing with that between infant feedings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.