Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 11/15 NATIONAL RECYCLE DAY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve had high blood pressure for the past year or so. For awhile I was taking a prescription med for it that caused my foot to swell horrendously. I could barely walk at one point, so I quit and just pretended my high bp went away.

Recently I watched the Netflix movie “The Game Changers” which completely changed my outlook on vegetarian and vegan diets. To see professional body builders, strongmen, and Olympic athletes excelling on a plant based diet was eye opening. I always thought of vegans to be thin, effeminate men with no energy. I couldn’t be more wrong.

I’ll save the details for those willing to watch the documentary, but needless to say, I’m transitioning to a more plant based diet immediately. Not sure if I’ll ever be able to cut out meat entirely but that documentary was one of the most inspiring movies I’ve ever seen. It may save my life one day.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Diet and exercise can get high blood pressure under control for some people. I would urge you to return to your doctor and get him/her to prescribe a different type of medication in the meantime. Also, it's a good idea to buy a blood pressure monitor so you can keep an eye on it at home.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I follow a few nutritionist and strength coaches (like real coaches, not Crunch Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness "coaches") and they all said that there are some skewed truths and some flat out lies in that movie. That being said, if you switched to a more plant based diet, your BP goes down and you feel better, who gives a shit?

My brother in law eats a plant based diet, is super thin (6'2" 155-160lbs) and always tired. He'll also probably out live me by 20 years as 80% of what I eat is some sort of meat or carb.

4. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive been considering not cutting meat completely but cutting down on meat and getting more calories from vegetables and fruits.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love meat way to much to even think about cutting it out.

6. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I’ll leave this link here https://www.biolayne.com/articles/research/the-game-changers-review-a-scientific-analysis/

Nutrition is amazingly complex and really poorly understood. There are tons of interactions between your genetics and how you need to be eating, but we are years from knowing what we need to to give great prescriptive advice there. I’d recommend just experimenting and seeing what works for you. That being said, there are things you can do to make an impact, and cutting down on alcohol and junk food is an obvious and easy way to start.

It makes zero sense to look at people who built a career through eating a certain way and using PED’s and then switched at a certain point though. I don’t care if he’s a vegan now, eating like one won’t make you look like Arnold...

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t doubt there are a lot of complex issues that a documentary can’t delve into.

I’ve also heard that drug companies have successfully lobbied to lower the metrics for what’s considered “hypertension” these days to sell more drugs. Not surprising at all.

The one thing I’m certain of is that I don’t want to be reliant on a pill to regulate my bp. That’s handicapping your system. No thanks.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

What's the saying? "If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Might wanna try some nitric oxide supplements too. NO is an en vogue workout supplement right now, but its main purpose is to increase blood flow and lower BP.

9. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's my biggest issue with this particular documentary - every competitive strongman I know uses or has used PEDs. Throwing enough HGH and the like into any system means elite performance.

This is adulting at a level I never planned on. I miss my 20s when I could just eat a bowl of cereal, a pack of Sprees, and 20 oz of water and call it done.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Drinking a case of Nattis eating five slices of pizza and being able to function the next day seems like a long forgotten dream.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I can’t fathom giving up meat. I’m going to an annual wild game dinner this coming Saturday. Here is what has historically been on the menu: boar, venison, rabbit, pheasant, moose, bear and usually some exotic meat as the annual special. I hope the cholesterol kills me so I can die happy.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I miss my wild game dinners. The old hunting crew has kind of gone their own ways, and I miss that.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s a very fun sense of community that you don’t really get anywhere else. Everyone donating meat as part of the larger meal is a pretty special environment. For me, my dad and my brother, it’s like an extra holiday that we look forward to every year and worth the 5 hour, round trip drive to get to it.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could put this in the Kodak moment thread, the Walking Dead thread, the automotive thread, or the serious thread . . . so I'm going to put it here, I guess.

This picture is Driftwood Beach at Jekyll Island, that I took this morning. When Hurricane Irma came through, it picked it clean and damaged that area. Now, rando driftwood and trees have started to return. Whole trees wash up there. It's freaky. If you watch the Walking Dead, you may recognize some scenes they have filmed there. (Georgia is unique on the East Coast - there are no beaches on the mainland, it's all marsh. The beaches are on the islands. Jekyll is owned by the State now, and has an interesting history with JP Morgan, William Rockefeller, and other exclusive club millionaire types, but I digress . . .)
    DriftwoodBeach.jpg

You may be saying to yourself, well, that's some cool driftwood and all, but wtf? Am I crazy, or is that a ship turned over sideways in the background? No, you are not crazy. Wait. You may actually be crazy. But, that is a ship, the Golden Ray, which was kind enough to deposit some brand new Hyundais and Kia's into the water . . .

https://www.businessinsider.com/cargo-ship-capsizes-thousands-of-new-hyundais-kias-on-board-2019-9
    https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/l...cle_9bedd9f8-a7f7-51e1-9112-e35a50977171.html

It flipped over on Sept 8, and it's still there.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There should be more game restaurants. People who have only ate meat from a grocery store don’t know what they are missing out on.

Wild pig and elk? Blows away conventional meats. It is SO good.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Add rabbit and lamb to that as well.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally get it. One of our guys was a chef at a boutique inn near Toronto, and we'd have it at his restaurant... it was amazing. Happened for almost 20 years.

That is insane.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Well now I feel a thousand times better about getting four of them at that price.

Got one for me, then an xmas gift for my brother in law, father in law, and step father. Also got them each a Wera Kraftform Kompakt screwdriver set that is just awesome, and still a steal at $27 (as of now). I'd recommend that thing in a heartbeat just for the bit storage in the handle and how comfortable it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.