Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 10/11/19 [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll bite.

First I'll preface this by saying that it's not my kinda music to begin with, but I gave both videos a shot. Soundwise, not terrible, but it sounds like something I'd hear coming out of any local bands garage. Sounds more like an open jam type of music which, if they're going for, awesome, but otherwise they need to polish it up a little.

As for stage presence, the thought that came to me is they're trying too hard. Yes, the Stevie Ray thing needs to go, at the very least the hat. The bass player whipping his head around constantly feels kinda put on as well.

They're not awful, but I'm not sure how they got to the House of Blues.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I think it might be this knife:

Cool back story with that knife. You get to see how it's actually made. He does use it (for whatever it's worth or not). You can tell he really appreciates it, even if he might not use it as part of his every day cooking.

If I had the money, that would certainly be up there as something I'd purchase. I think the youtube makes it more desireable, not less.

#22 Revengeofthenerds, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hadn't heard that before, but I know each time I think of buying a higher priced knife set for me to use, I remember that the one my wife got as some token employee appreciation gift actually works really well so long as I keep a good edge on it. I like the feel of it in my hand, it cuts well, why replace it?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That is very cool.

And yeah, I'm very familiar with his knives... they are absolute works of art and worth every penny.

Not gonna lie, I'd love to have that Bourdain one enshrined in my kitchen... but at anything over $2k it's just not going to happen.

If I had boatloads of money, though, I absolutely would want that thing.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In the meantime, I have to say that my new, favourite, go-to knife is a Deba I picked up in Tokyo...

It's interesting steel because it's not coated so has to be oiled and maintained or it will rust, but man does it ever hold an edge like no other knife I've ever used.

I've sharpened it once since I bought it, and it slices anything with either finesse or brute power... tomato skins to rib bones, nothing stops it.

Fucking love it.

IMG_6651.jpeg

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Here's the video that taught me how to sharpen the knife, in case you're bored on a long weekend and want to learn something new.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just spent the afternoon making garlic soup and unthawing a bunch of summer sangria I had in the freezer.

Tomorrow night’s dinner is going to be a bit insane.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So yeah... the sangria turned out so good I drank it all tonight. While watching Live PD.

I'm OK with that.

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I agree with you 100%. I just wanted to see if someone saw something I missed.

They're not awful, but they're not very good. Bless their hearts they are trying, but yeah...they're garage band average. I'm not sure how they got a gig at House of Blues, I'm kind of suspecting it's a pay to play gig. Someone must have fronted the money to secure the gig, so maybe they see something I don't. I have no idea what though.

There is talent there....to do a 3 piece band everyone has to be talented, but the whole act comes across to me as 3 guys kind of trying to figure their shit out. Needless to say I passed on going to watch them tonight. Now I need to find a diplomatic way to tell my friend what I think of her relative's band. Ugh.

In other news, Crazy hung a "TRUMP 2020" banner outside the house. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Thank God I park my car across the street.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, just watched the videos. They have talent, for sure, but my thoughts on doing covers is you fucking nail them solid, or you bring your own interpretation to them. The SRV cover I saw there was neither of that... it was all about playing the basics of the song while fudging or coasting through the hard parts with a bit of a similar tone or some simpler cover-up.

Kudos to them for getting the gig (unless it was a pay-to-play), but yeah, "not bad" isn't enough to get me off the couch to go see them.

But hey, they're out there playing, and I'm not, so I'll still say "nice job!"

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

First brisket of the season on the smoker on time for a 10 hour smoke. My dumbass set my alarm for the right time, but unfortunately I set my weekday alarm instead of my weekend one. Woke up to piss and nearly shit myself instead.

Made up the time difference with these new fire starters I wanted to try out for my chimney charcoal starter (amazon “natural fire starter” and there’s like 20 different options). Turns out not only do they work as good or better, but they save you about 30 min too.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just do what I do, tell them it's not your kind of music but you're sure people who are into it love it. Unless she knows better, then just nod and say, "Yeah, not bad."

In some ways it reminds me of the band I've been in for years. We have people with raw talent but no actual drive to work harder and hone it ( I've given up on trying to motivate them ). It's amazing to me somedays how we've gotten to where we are.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If theyre like the bands the middle aged women at my work like, they'll have middle aged groupies throwing themselves at them until the end of time. So theyve always got that.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think the very thought alone of cutting your food with something from outer space is something you seriously have too weigh your disposable income options on. It does not come much cooler than that, I’m sure a lot of credit cards have been lit up on them.

If you are in dire need of a dinner party icebreaker, that thing is gold.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I keep getting tripped up on the amount of money required to buy a decent sharpening set when the only real knife I own was only $40. It needs to be sharpened though.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, it's not hard to spend stupid money on some good wet stones. I know I invested in a nice set of 5, plus stone flattener, etc, but only because it was for my chisels and planes for woodworking.

Most knives I could not sharpen using a flat wet stone... no way in hell I could keep the right angles. But this new knife I have is REALLY easy to sharpen because of the huge bevel that goes up half of the blade, and the completely flat back... it's a game changer, for sure.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

On that note, my 2 year old just saw me stropping my knife for the brisket, so he got one of his toy knives and started running it along the leather like I was.

Among our family, that video is hilarious. No way in hell it's going on any social media though lest I wanna be the new media target for training future terrorists or some shit.

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Years ago I bought a Lansky sharpening kit. I've been happy with the results.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's exactly the one I have for my chef's knives, etc. Works really well.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Happy Thanksgiving all you Cannuckleheads out there.

Hope you're having a good long weekend with family and friends.

I did up a 29 lbs turkey today for dinner... it turned out awesome.

The garlic soup was a huge hit... and one of the kids learned an important lesson... "never trust a fart"

It was hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.