Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

WDT 1/24/14 NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now you know why they call him Chevy. Not because he's as big as a truck, but because he once pulled the truck out of a snowbank then 5 miles back home. Imagine when he's full grown and walks through the wall when you pour food in his dish.

Friend has a malamute up north. He snapped pictures of it rolling around in the blizzard. No idea what possesses someone to buy a wolf so far south of the arctic circle. That thing cannot be happy in summer. Neither would the owner when it sheds its weight in fur.

2. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I wasn't married, I'd put that on my sexual bucket list. Have a Muslim woman yelling Allahu Akbar while we're fucking. Might be hard, I don't think most of them want a white Agnostic like me.

3. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We need to organise an Idiots Straya Day sometime. Would be interesting to say the elast.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seconded. I want to see this dog.

5. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I notice you clarify that you aren't actually pregnant, but include no such disclaimer about having never taken a shit in a log cabin surrounded by Oompa Loompas...

6. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Obviously not as glamorous as trapping my own direwolf, but this is kind of in the same ballpark:

My smallest dog is sick - they think pancreatitis. So he can't have fat. I was on the hunt for dog treats he could tolerate and went into a local pet food store. Unbeknownst to me, they were holding an adoption fair that day. I CAN'T GO ANYPLACE WHERE DOGS NEED A HOME. Seriously, I have to be mentally prepared for that shit.

Needless to say, I now have a third dog. His name is Hogan, because he's big and blonde. He's around 8 months old, and they think Great Pyrenees/border collie cross. I think that's a bit too exotic to be likely. His mother was some kind of herding type, and his father was obviously big and light in colour. He appears to have golden retriever (or lab...whichever ones are stocky and low energy), and maybe husky.

From day one he has: slept through the night. Alerted me when he needed to go out. Not really chewed anything. Gotten along with everyone, even my grouchy sick terrier.

Spoilered for size.

Attached Files:

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Here's the dog I found. He's back with the owner now. Social media pays off in spades sometimes. He has those magnetic ice blue eyes sled dogs usually have.

[​IMG]

Huge, friendly dog. He ripped a tennis ball apart in seconds.

8. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be up for that

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching "Some Girls" on Netflix, mostly cause I like Adam Brody as an actor, fairly interesting, but it takes a WEIRD twist in the middle. Like I got up and started cleaning parts of my apartment cause it was so unsettling. Good god.

For a seemingly low budget indie without a wiki page, its got quite a few names in the cast. Adam Brody, Kristen Bell, Jennifer Morrison, Zoe Kazan.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finished watching the episode of Community with Troy leaving, and then as soon as I stop it, the channel it was on was showing the last few minutes of Deathly Hallows Pt 2, which will always have me crying like a little bitch. Assholes.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

He is gorgeous. Congrats!

Are labs notoriously low energy? I know they are good family dogs but I thought they were at least moderately energetic. I ask this because we are suspecting more and more that Buddy is a good portion lab. He has the face shape, is exceptionally low energy, and has a growth in his eye that is common among labs. The brindle and curly tail are what throw us off.

12. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure labs are high energy dogs, but I've never owned one. I wanted to get one and was told by several people that if you don't exercise them enough, they can get destructive (think chewing on things, digging, etc) because they were high energy.

13. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

We have a lab/German Shepherd mix. I'd say she's medium energy. With it being so cold and not going out as much, she's hasn't been too bad. She's a spaz in the snow. Loves it.
    Doesn't chew up stuff although we can't leave say, a remote, laying around. Lesson learned there. All three times.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

As far as medium-large breeds go, Labs aren't a high energy dog. They are THE high energy dog. They friendliest, bounciest, swimmingest dog of all breeds, only outgunned by their close cousin the Golden Retriever. You have to run their asses of every day because they want ALL if you. But like I said, they are the friendliest dog there is, and the most evil puppies-because they are so adorable yet have their teething setting on DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY. They also are relentless kissy-mouths and try to lick people's faces off whether you want them to or not.

Only Spaniels like water more than labs, too. They love swimming and are one of the best water breeds. If they see a lake or pond, they will laserbeam for it.

Labs are big, happy and bulletproof. But you need energy to own one or the first 3-5 years they'll drive you up the wall.

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DCC he looks awesome, congrats! Hogan is a very fitting name.

No, at least mine isn't. Mine is a purebred yellow lab and at almost 2 1/2 has a lot of horsepower. He has settled/calmed down at home somewhat in the past few months (is sleeping on my leg at the moment) but has seemingly endless energy. It takes a day of hunting in fields and woods to really tire him out, otherwise he just takes a little pause after a run or swim and is back on his feet again.

There is about two feet of snow in my girlfriend's yard now and a few inches of fresh power, which Buck loves. It might as well be cocaine to him.

This is dead on, I mean absolutely spot-fucking-on. I got mine at 1 1/2 and the destruction was mostly out of his system, thank God. He can handle plush toys now that would have been turned into a flurry of stuffing months ago. As soon as he sees any body of water- lakes, streams, mucky sloughs, roadside puddles, he has to get in it. Trash is his kryptonite... he has a bad addiction. Several interventions have failed.

I wanted a hunting dog that could handle about anything and got it, and if I didn't have that job for him I'm sure he would drive me insane. But he does a great job at that and can handle Minnesota's varied climate, so it's all good.

16. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

This one has, I would guess, maybe three hours of "awake time" in his tank, during which he's up and happy and gently greeting everyone. After that, he sleeps. He slept pretty much the entire time I met him at the adoption fair. He does love the snow, though. He's dug a massive burrow in my backyard and climbs every snow pile he finds.

Loves rawhide and bones. Gets along with everything and everyone he meets. Such a mellow love.

My experience with labs (or is it retrievers...can never keep them straight) varies on the color. Black ones tend to be very sport- and job-driven. Brown ones are fucking nuts. Yellow ones are apt to be the most lovey and tame. Still need about four years to grow a brain, though.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The worst things about Labs is that they're prone to hip displacia and you should always buy them from a breeder to get a guarantee against it.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Otto will be 2 in March and he's only now starting to chill out a little bit. I tried confining him to rooms to curb the sheer destruction but he always found something to destroy no matter how clean I thought the place was. He has destroyed nearly every book I own as well a couple of xbox controllers, expensive cowboy boots, and my favorite earbuds. I take him on a long walk after work every day and the dog park every weekend. I still have to cage him when I'm gone until trust is established. I'd like to think that I am out of things for him to destroy, but thats just me in denial.

He isn't necessarily high energy, but when he gets going, he has quite a bit. If I am having a lazy day, he will sleep all day. Being a huge great dane/lab mix means his energy is quickly drained.

Attached Files:

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My mother's best friend is a Harlequin Great Dane buff. They're the size of a pony yet are sucky-teddy bears (usually) but a dog that big and powerful, not in my house. Their tails are like police batons and can clear a table off with one happy swing. I've never see a dog look more guilty, facial-wise; than a Great Dane. When you scold one they hunch, stick their tail between their legs and hang their head like a scared little kid.

Unfortunately like most of the giant breeds they only usually live 7-10 years.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think Ive read about a breed that doesn't suffer from this. Honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.