Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

[WDT] 1/10/20 BACK TO REALITY [NSFW]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think the show kind of jumped the shark a bit when they had Sam face off against Satan and other paranormal stuff. I’ll buy that he meets a supernatural being/God in the last episode, but some of the later episodes were less social commentary and more spooky shit.

But it’s also one of those things where there was probably more socially topical stuff to go over between the 50s and the 80s than 1980-2020. I don’t need to see Sam try to stop Bud Dwyer blowing his brains out, Chernobyl or 9/11.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think best episodes were the season thee premiere (The Leap Home) and the following Vietnam episodes. My favourite “goofy” episode was the Halloween special when Sam ends up crossing paths with a young Stephen King.

#42 Crown Royal, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ran across this video on Reddit the other day...

Loop Daddy...

He's got some hilarious concert footage on his YouTube channel... I went for a hell of a ride down that rabbit hole.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Stephen King one is where he battles the devil and was the one I was referring to that jumps the shark. I cant exactly remember, but I think the Evil Leaper stuff came after that. The Leap Home episodes are the best ones I think, at least theyre up there with the one that covers the Watts Riots and others like that.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That episode was a Shaggy Dog joke. The thing with Satan was a dream, and Sam woke up at the end to save the old guy from falling off the ladder.

6. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got “spoken to” today at work. We’re allowed to listen to music on our phones, as long as we don’t have our phones “out” and our productivity is still high.
    Well I had my phone out for five seconds in order to change what I was listening to (I listen to full albums to make the time go by faster), and put it right back in my pocket. I have done this many times every day, for the last two months, since I’ve been allowed to listen to music. I’m one of the top guys in terms of the productivity metrics. The supervisor cane over to remind me that phones couldn’t be out. I said “yeah, I was just changing music.” She said “yeah, we just can’t have them out on the floor.”
    I could have further stated my case and showed that my phone was on airplane mode (as it always is on the floor), and explained that switching music takes five seconds and doesn’t affect anything, and that I’ve watched other employees waste time much more egregiously than what I did...But I gave the only safe answer: “Okay.”

If it becomes an issue again, and they actually talk to me about it, I’ll explain that if I can’t use my phone, then I’ll still be allowed to use an MP3 player. And I’ll buy an iPod touch - so that the method for switching the music will be exactly the same.

Eh, I’m all talk. I’ll just make sure to keep an eye out for that supervisor when I’m switching albums. But it still pisses me off a little. Happy Tuesday!

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Where the hell do you work, the Reichstag? How is that an issue?

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, like I said - I’ve been doing this with no issues so far. I think it was just a TPS Report situation for that supervisor.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Many segments of the health care industry- insurance companies, doctors offices- don’t allow phones out to avoid Hipaa violations related to phone cameras.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'm guessing that is probably the case, it's not limited to just health info though...also financial info, customer info of any kind really. Even simple customer lists with basic contact information has value to someone, somewhere.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I believe it, but that’s such a silly reason to not allow phones. I work in healthcare tech and one of the biggest issues with violating HIPAA are nurses and doctors sending plaintext emails with patient info. Banning phones is something I’ve never even heard of.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My company tried to "ban phones" and "no talking" for the people that stuff boxes hoping to keep production up. The manager over that department was a hen pecking type like Nats story. The full time people complained endlessly, the temps would just go into the halls and claim the calls were emergencies and then just stopped showing up. The turn over, and resulting cost, got so bad they just gave up on both. That work is so monotonous you just can't reasonable expect people to stick with it at that pay rate when you could get a thousand other jobs similar pay and less restrictions.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

People sure seem to get a lot of emergency calls in this busy world of smartphones! Let’s see, before them I recieved..... zero. Ever.
    They should be banned from most workplaces. They constantly distract and you simply don’t fucking have to be on one all the time. If there’s an emergency, people can call your work like they’ve done the past nine centuries or so. We all have breaks, it’s weird how many people cannot even last between that.

#53 Crown Royal, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  14. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s about context, of course. I’ve watched idiot operate a bridge crane with one hand while texting with the other. Not watching a twenty tone load.

I guess you can say I sometimes miss the easier days when we sexted each other via Polaroids and Canada Post.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t disagree. I’ve been a manager for the last ten years, I have seen how phones distract employees. I’ve watched college kids ignore a customer to walk into a closet to check their phone, so I wouldn’t yell at them for checking it on the floor. It gave me a new and worse thing to yell about.

And I PUT MINE ON AIRPLANE MODE. I don’t get calls, or texts, until break time.
    But we’re ALLOWED to listen to music, with an earbud. And we’re allowed to USE OUR PHONES TO SUPPLY THE MUSIC.
    It stands to reason that at some point during the day, an employee will need to take the thing out of their pocket to change the music. Hell, I even change the volume without taking it out of my pocket.

17. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to stop and think about and realize...these people my daughter’s age and younger have never not had a screen shoved in their hands.

Restaurants, doctor appointments, cars, anytime they’re waiting...they have had people hand them screens.

what did we expect?

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Just got to Colorado. Beautiful drive. Their thc tax is insane.

19. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Washington is 37%. Colorado is 15%.
    Washington weed is exceptionally better than Colorado.
    And somehow cheaper.

20. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About 25 years ago I was doing some contractor work on a refinery when an announcement came over the facility-wide intercom system: “Misanthropic, please pick up line 2 - your mother is on the phone.” Of course everyone thought it was hilarious.

She was calling to find out how my drive to work was in the snow. To this day I have no idea how she even found the phone number to a major east coast refinery and tracked me down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.