Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Watchmen

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Watched the pilot last night and I was shocked by how good it was. A sort-of sequel to the original story updated to 2019 (34 years later), I found the new story riveting and delivers some real GoT-like shocks the first episode. Also it’s quite an allegory on current times.

Also, Nine Inch Nails does the music score and it is like nothing I’ve heard on a show before. Along with “The Boys” we now have two great anti-superhero Cable shows.

#1 Crown Royal, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really enjoyed the movie (although I'm always told the comic book is much better) so I'll be checking this out. My only issue going in is that an all powerful hero like Dr. Manhattan could really limit the plot and I don't like that concept for a longer story.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This is following the comic closer than the movie, which was close to the comic plot-wise. The movie was superficially faithful but less complex. And it chose to minimize the comic’s controversial, insane, sci-fi slaughter climax.

One this this show truly establishes right away is an empending feeling of doom, just like the original story. Something very, very terrible is coming.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I've heard a lot about how the movie missed this and that from the comic, and I'm sure there was a lot they couldn't include. The reality is that to cram a long story like that into a movie there is a lot you are going to have to cut. As someone who never read the comic it seemed like they told a perfectly coherent story to me.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How important is it to have seen the movie or read the comics?

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I tell people there are three “comics” is existence that are absolute must-reads: Watchmen, Preacher, and The Boys. They are as entertaining as great movies and hard to put down.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would highly recommend the comic first before the movie or show. It’s not for all tastes, but the show won’t make any sense unless you read or see the original story.

It takes place in an alternate reality 1985 where Presidents can have dictatorships, nuclear was with Russia/Cuba is imminent and there is bizarre slang and habits.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I liked parts of the pilot, but for some reason I’m just finding it hard to get into it. The movie is easily one of the best super hero movies ever, but I’m not sure why this one isn’t clicking the same way.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was really sucked in by the production. Everything is top notch acting, directing, music, etc. I kind of role my eyes at the "Dear White People" themes and plot lines. Still interesting to learn real history through an alternate reality based show.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The reality is TRULY altered after episode two. So President Robert Redford gave all black people reparations, making them the predominately rich and white people predominately poorer class. They also seem to be foreshadowing the squid that killed everyone in New York City in the comic, something they idiotically changed for the movie.

I like most characters, but Gossett’s has done nothing but irritate me so far. I can’t stand characters who intentionally hold back their purpose for no explained reason. I hope he’s either killed soon or goes through some sort of arc.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I did not picture Charlene from “Designing Women” to play Silk Spectre II but she had an amazing debut. Definitely the best performance and character introduced so far.

This is definitely a sequel to the comic and not the movie. They have established the squid destroyed NYC (i.e. it made everyone murder each other) and not some cheap-ass EMP.

The creeping feeling that something terrible is coming is as established in this show as it was in the original comic. Only this time, I don’t know at ALL what might happen. Some of the art direction in this alternate 2019 is truly unique.

#11 Crown Royal, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we talk about that last episode?

What the FUCK.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You mean the husband-killing twist? I have NO clue where this show is going next, it is absolutely serpentine.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let’s talk about this, and how beautiful it is.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So good. He is releasing a double vinyl of the soundtrack. It’s great study/sleep music.

Personally I think Reznor is the best musician of my generation. His ability to stay alternative, to stay ever-changing in both sound and technology is astonishing.

this one...

#15 Crown Royal, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  16. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not going to say much because of spoilers but last night's ending made no sense to me.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don’t think it made sense to many. It probably will make more sense after next weeks finale.

Have no fear, I’m sure Lube Man will slide in to save the day.

#17 Crown Royal, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a great fucking series. Start to finish.

The only thing that annoyed me about the finale is

it bugs me when there are obvious inconsistencies in the physics of a world. Okay, so all of these essentially frozen rocks are being dropped from the upper atmosphere. Dude warns that "everything in 5 block radius is going to be destroyed" and hopefully "nobody you love is there." The rain of destruction starts and pops a perfect hole through the middle of the woman's hand. Great, okay, we've got the scene set up for the absolute terror that is going to come down.

Buuuuuut... somehow the car roof keeps them out? And the old movie theater is okay? And you can walk underneath them as long as you hold something over your head? But they ripped right through the floating metal pod like it was made of butter? I don't care what the box lid is made of, inertia matters.

I don't care if the physics are realistic. It's okay with me if there's no way on planet Earth that these squids could move so fast that they'd tear a hole in someone's hand. It really breaks the gravity of the scene, though, where they can tear a hole in someone's hand and rip right through a floating metal sphere, but conveniently not through the roof of a car or a building.

Other than that, though? Fucking awesome. The ending wrapped up most of the outstanding questions and tied together the important plot points in a way that did justice to most of them, while still leaving some tantalizing ambiguity.

I loved that Looking Glass and Blake bring Ozymandius in. It's so satisfying when a plot line drops right in with the personality of the characters, with no twisting of the character to suit an outcome.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This was the best new show of 2019. Crazy reveals and a true love for its characters and source material.

I hope Lindelof stays with the show. He only originally planned on doing one season, and he’s possible the best showrunner going right now. He turned The Leftovers into one of the best TV shows ever made.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We just binged this over the last week. I did not see the movie though el hubs did read the graphic novel so he had to pause the show and give me some background here or there.

Terrific show with unpredictable twists and a soundtrack that really puts you in their mood. I agree with your complaints about inconsistent physics in the finale @Binary but that's about my only complaint. The second to last episode had me straight up weeping.

Anyone know if there is a season 2 slated? They left it open enough for a continuation of some kind though I am satisfied with the way they wrapped up the major storylines of the season and would be ok if they just stopped there.