Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Sep 2, 2010.

1. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For those of you have read the comics, are you thinking what I'm thinking about the reveal at the end?

Read at your own risk if you haven't read the comics.

Too hard/impractical to develop the Zombie Gladiator story line, but this leaves the door open for someone to have a motive to hack off Rick's hand. Pretty fucking good.

2. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For anyone interested, Bear McCreary has been putting up awesome video-blog posts about the music for this series. It's really interesting how (like Battlestar) he has blended ethnic instruments with strings to create an otherworldly sound.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=5292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=5292</a>

3. Brobdingnagian

Brobdingnagian
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Here's my theory on the apparently discrepancy from one zombie to the next: They apparently have some access to higher brain functions, like memory, and some are obviously in better physical condition than others.

For example: The very first zombie we see, the little girl. Demonstrates memory by going for the stuffed animal, and demonstrates that she was probably not very fucking bright when she was among the living, either. I say this because despite the fact that there was a fresh happy meal standing not 2 feet away from her, calling her out for being a cock teasing harlot, it still took her a good minute to figure it out, being far too preoccupied with the stuffed animal to notice. That said, once she caught on, the aggressiveness definitely kicked up a notch, given that she was still able bodied.

The black dude's wife as well demonstrated memory by going back to the house she died in and even turns a door knob.

Then we have the zombie in "Guts" that was clearly using a fucking brick to smash through a window. Leads me to believe that he wasn't quite so stupid in life, and presumably he's also still pretty fresh, given the outbreak is less than a month old.

Compare that to the rotting corpse zombie in the park. Thing has no legs, entrails hanging out, and it looks like its been baking in the sun for a month. It has super basic motor function, and a vague sense of wanting to bite shit, but otherwise seems pretty useless, again given the deterioration, this makes sense to me.

So my operating theory is that if a dude in exceptional shape takes a minor wound, burns out and zombies up, he might not so much shamble after you as run his fucking balls off to gorge on your lily white redneck ass. Plus the scenes in Atlanta lead me to believe that group mentality still seems to win out, making all the zombies 10x crazier and thus more aggressive.

$0.02, as always.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A little disappointed in the last episode and in the whole camp setup in general.

They're sleeping in fucking tents? For reals?

I'm hoping I can get past some of the petty nonsense I'm holding against the show but the level of stupidity in the survivors setup is hard for my brain to overcome. I mean you're just outside a major metropolitan area. You'd figure there would be an RV dealer within 20 miles that you could pillage the shit out of and have some nice relatively safe mobile living quarters to work out of...

Meh.

5. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm absolutely loving this show. I thought I was sick of zombies and everything to do with them, but using the series format is working really well.

I don't have too much to say after only 3 episodes, but I am curious to see the aftermath of Shane beating the living shit out of Ed. That was more than an ass kicking, and I wonder if Ed will have some serious damage (broken orbital bones, blindness, migraines, etc.). I thought that was a great scene - at first I was excited to see Ed get what he deserved, but I was really shocked by the brutality. Good indication of how very torn up Shane is about Rick being alive.

6. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe a few of the 6 or so million people who tried leaving Atlanta got there first?

7. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Or maybe a few of them decided to stick around.

8. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just discovered this show and I am foaming at the mouth now that my bloodlust is being sated. I am digging the graphic brutality of it all.

Are the survivors stupid? Hell yeah, but so is 98% of the population. They will make for fun zombie chow at some point in the series, which is my favorite part, and the only real purpose. That and mad drama with the wife banguing the friend and all.

9. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Couldn't remember where the wife was from. Thanks to IMDb for reminding me of her originally capturing my lust in Prison Break (before it got shitty).
    I've been catching up OnDemand and via DVR. I won't go as far as the people calling it groundbreaking, as it's basically just flipping the zombie genre around to focus on character development. Since half the characters are pretty shallow stereotypes, they're at least trying to focus on the right ones. But how many seasons can it really go?

10. WendeI

WendeI
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Based on how long it takes for things to get done episode to episode, I'd say a few. I'm enjoying what I've seen these first four episodes, but it's befuddles me how little actually happens in an hour.

As for tonight's episode...

The standoff sequence was really strange to me. One minute they're up against crazy cut-throat gangsters, and literally 30 seconds later they're good guys who look after old people. WTF?

And I'm sure everyone's happy about the abusive husband getting eaten in his tent, though I can't think of a more predictable event once Shane whooped his ass. Here's betting Daryl hooks up with the lesbian-looking wife.

11. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well if you caught anything during the credits,
    Only 2 episodes left this season? A 6 episode season? I'm familiar with 8 episode premiere seasons, but 6? Fuck that noise, unless it's continuing immediately in the spring.

12. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It has been picked up for a second season of 13 more episodes but how soon is anybody's guess. Production on this show is probably expensive and extensive so I can understand why they didn't make very many episodes to start with. It's not like anyone has done a series based solely around zombies. No one knew if that shit was gonna fly.

13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I knew those fucking tents were a bad idea. I literally laughed when everyone was running to the winnebago for safety... bet they wish they had a couple of those.

Sucks about the 6 episode season. I figure next episode they'll deal with the Merl story and bury the dead. Maybe finally make for a better location... like the old people & vatos in the city did.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love this fucking show. It's about Zombies and how people react to living in a world taken over by Zombies. No idea what you other people expect. Don't you get your serious amazing drama/acting kicks from everything else they have? Come on.

The scene over Amy at the end made me squirm. That shot was way too long for my liking. Someone somewhere spoiled the Merl story for me. Maybe it was some asshole here, can't do back and check now just in case it is a delusion.

You could argue the whole thing with the Vatos was another look into the minds of how people would deal with a Zombie Apocalypse. How else would they deal with the not so good people they've run into? Maybe good people have to act bad just for the greater good. I wouldn't say it was ridiculous for everyone to be at gunpoint, then have cooler heads prevail.

15. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just figured Merle brought the zombie with him to the camp to take out the guys who left him behind. Only parallel from the tv show to the comic in that scene was the blond chick biting it. Pun intended.

Question is now - do they stay and rebuild/fortify, or get going?

16. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

According to ScreenRant, the second season won't air until Fall 2011.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless they have those laser tripped perimeter machine guns that shot the super monkeys in Congo they need to get their ass to a safer location. Im with Guy Fawkes here, how stupid could sleeping in tents right outside one of the biggest cities on the East Coast be? Did they ever mention what happened to dogs? Youd think at least one person would have a dog. Be a better warning system than fucking cans on string.

Shitty that this season will be up so soon. But hey Big Love is coming on in a month as well as Curb in 2011, then Breaking Bad will be right around the corner next thing you know Mad Men and this will be on again. What a great time for TV. People said reality TV would kill quality programming, HA!

18. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think what happened the horse is pretty good indication to what happened to all the dogs. I bet a few people gave Fido over to the zombies so their loved ones could get away.

19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ho-lee shit. I just discovered this show the other day. Talk about epic awesome orgasmatron. I blew through all 4 episodes this afternoon thanks to The Pirate Bay. Now I have another reason to look forward to Fridays.

I can't wait to see how the subplot with Morgan and Dwayne plays out. I have no intention of ruining things by reading the comic, and I love how much the show keeps me on the edge. Walking Dead in the fall, and Breaking Bad in the spring. Win.

20. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was said an episode or two ago that "they never come this high up the mountain." One would think it a little difficult for those shambling retards to shuffle their dumb asses up the hill. I bet Merle did lure them up there somehow.