Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My girlfriend said outloud "oh no, don't do that!" Talking to the tv is always a sign that the show is doing something either really right or really wrong, and this was definitely under the "really right" category.

2. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The comparative mercy kill scene was the greatest part of this show. Why? Because it solidifies a huge difference between survivor dude from Jericho and Rick - Rick is willing to do what it takes to do what he thinks is right.

3. botox

botox
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I watched the first episode last night based on a friend's recommendation and was impressed. Originally I was skeptical about the idea of a zombie series as the only experience I have with the genre is the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead and the trailer (especially the opening chase shootout, which reflected the apartment building raid in Dawn of the Dead) reminded me of them. It looks like the plot is going to do more than pander to blood&guts lovers and those with apocalyptic hoarding/guiltless slaughter fantasies (this would be my demographic) but I don't think it will shy away from either element.

The horse scene as he chases the helicopter was fucking intense and as he unloaded his gun while climbing under the tank I was on the edge of my seat while wondering who was going to become the main character after the equestrian buffet and it's foolish rider were picked clean. I am looking forward to seeing what happens with the survivors who contacted him on the tank radio and the other party who was "just outside the city." The peephole scene that has been mentioned earlier was excellent as well as the the main character's silent kill while wearing a welding mask.

One thing that bothered me about this episode was this.
    [​IMG]
    The upper portion of the building on the right seems to have suffered some major structural damage, ostensibly at the hands of a zombie. This does not sit well with me.

A brief digression - does anyone remember a thread on the RMMB called "Zombie Contingency Plan" or something similar? Evidently, many of us have given the scenario a great deal of thought. I remember a sense of relief when I learned that I was not the only person to daydream of sniping a hoard of slow-moving flesh eaters and daring excursions to acquire supplies.

4. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As another fucking con to having Hotwire Communications as my new isp (thanks asshole community board of directors for signing a contract without anyone having any say) I don't get AMC. Anybody know a site where I can find the episodes in a timely manner, or a site that'll have them eventually?

5. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rick's wife is going to end up pregnant by Shane. I'm calling it now. (heh)

I actually managed this week to enter the contest! Score!

I'm digging the show, especially as a hardcore zombie fan. Suspenseful, compelling, gory. It's about time someone made zombies work for the small screen.

Especially when
    they chopped up the zombie. I dug the "meat" effects!
    I know I've said this before but I am so glad that they are taking more of a make-up approach as opposed to that crappy CGI.

And I swear Laurie Holden must be boffing Frank Darabont 'cuz she has been in 2 movies and 2 TV shows that he has directed. Too many more and we'll have a Depp/Burton team on our hands (I suspect they're "doing it" too).

6. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's got only the first episode for now but at least it's in HD!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hulu.com/watch/190905/the-walking-dead-days-gone-bye#x-0,vepisode,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hulu.com/watch/190905/the-wa ... pisode,1,0</a>

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Torrents usually have show, particularly hit shows, pretty fucking quick if you want to go the normal route of stealing them and watching them at your leisure without commercials. EZtv usually has it up in a couple of hours and High Def ones up by the next day.

The show is pretty good. Nice to see AMC continue to take risk and deliver great material. Honestly, The past few years have been an amazing time for television.

The only thing I didn't like about the second episode was the Chinese teenager. The kid's acting was like nails on a chalk board every time he was on screen. Im also glad to see Michael Rooker with some good material to work with. He looked like he could star as Chuck Liddel with the look they had him rocking. You fucking know his ass is getting out of the cuffs.

8. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah if the previews for next week are right it looks like we'll see him again, one way or the other.

9. hbax

hbax
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

<a class="postlink" href="http://io9.com/5684850/walking-dead-gets-a-second-season-twice-as-long-as-the-first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://io9.com/5684850/walking-dead-get ... -the-first</a>

Well that was quick...

10. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Or a helicopter crashed into it because the body bags in the back came back to life. It could be anything.

Agreed, and thankfully it's 13 episodes. 6 episodes was not enough.

11. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It could have been zombie terrorists.

12. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not the zombies using tools?

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im glad it looks like Rick is finding out about his wife and partner early on and not dragging that point out for too long. I thought the asian kid wasnt bad, he didnt bug me as much as the black guy who stumbled around and dropped the key down the vent shaft. He drops a bag full of tools and cant kick over a hack saw or something? It still bugs the shit out of me that Rick still has not asked anyone where the zombies came from.

14. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Didn't the black guy, from the first episode, tell him what happened?

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Not really, he just said it was a fever. That's about it.

16. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Merrrrrr.

That's my vocal summary of what I've thought of the season so far.

I'm fine with modifying the zombie formula but they need to be consistent with it because I'm a stickler for rules when it comes to zombie shit.

It looks like the zombies get smarter and more aggressive later on in the season. I'm expecting a scientific explanation if this is the case.

17. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't think the tv show will follow the comic step by step, but I think I can answer some things based on them.

1 - Get used to the Asian guy. He's one of the main characters in the comics.
    2 - There has never been an explanation for the zombie-outbreak in the comics. So don't hold your breath.
    3 - The zombies seem to be a bit inconsistent. In the comics they are portrayed as slow-as-fuck-, dumbass zombies. While in the show they are running, smashing stuff with rocks and climbing over fences. Especially the last part is confusing, as it would probably mean that the group's next big safe haven in the comics won't be used in the tv-show, because the zombies would destroy it in minutes.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just caught up on this show and let me say two things. First, I like the show. I heard the comic was great from a few respectable nerds. I look forward to watching it, but I have low expectations for everything. I can't justifiably nitpick acting or other details when zombies are involved. Fucking Zombies.

On another note. Glen, or Steven Yuen, the asian kid. I know him. I met this guy about two years ago. He served me pretty damn good drinks in Chicago, on Division St. at a bar called Between. At that time my best friend Eric was making a small feature film called Carpe Millenium, where Steven Yuen was this kid trying to lose his virginity before Y2K and it all goes to shit. Just one of those things like "Oh shit, he served me drinks two years ago, and now he's making a truck full of cash. I'm sitting on my couch watching him. Maybe I should be a bartender. FML."

I also think Steve Yuen is an asshole, because once he got the deal with AMC, he asked Eric to take down the main poster which shows him shirtless with a dildo duct-taped to his pelvis. AND asked that he be removed from the IMDB credits so it wouldn't track back to him. But he's definitely in the movie. Also, he makes a damn good mojito.

19. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I watched the first two episodes ondemand yesterday. I think the show has promise in the way all zombie-themed things have promise. It will likely entertain, but I won't be talking about it like it's the best show ever created.

Because most people look at me funny when I get really excited about zombies.

20. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy crap! What a well-played episode! The acting was top-notch!

The whole reunion scene was great! The slight relief Rick felt when he saw Shane. The "Awww, shit. My fun is over." look on Shane's face when he saw Rick. The total relief when Rick saw his wife and son. The joy on Carl's face when he saw his dad and the trepidation on the wife's face (What is her name? They've barely said it.) when she saw Carl jogging towards him, as if Rick might be sick/infected or something. Then, when she realized that he was alive-and-well, the pale, blood-drained "I've just seen a ghost" face, only to find out later that Shane told her that Rick was dead. What a dick move. Fucker.

Shane should have killed the abusive redneck. Unless the redneck is skilled at some zombie-jitsu bullshit, he serves no discernible purpose to their community and they would probably be better off without him.

And Merle's hand on the ground. His brother wailed like a little bitch. So what if Merle was down a hand?! It at least meant he got away. That probably meant that he was still alive, at least for the time being.

I am glad that they didn't drag out the reunion with near misses and contrived diversions. I hate tedious shit like that.

And I thought that she was going to end up pregnant which would indicate to Rick that she'd been boffing someone else but my husband pointed out that the boffing happened too recently to raise any red flags as far as a pregnancy is concerned. After seeing tonight's episode, I am convinced that Shane, who is very obviously carrying a torch for the wife, is going to end up spilling his guts (but hopefully only figuratively). I almost hope that Shane ends up with Laurie Holden's character since they exchanged that glance after he tried to beat the stupid out of the redneck.