Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by gamecocks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can look past their Steven Segall like bullet invulnerability, but the writing and plot development is awful. Nothing these characters do makes sense. Why wouldn't the governor strafe glen as they were leaving? Why did they leave at all instead of finishing them off? What happened to Tyreese and his group?

Why is Maggie paralyzed over her pg rated encounter with the governor? The only reason I could understand her and Glenn's reaction was if she was actually raped but they had to censor what we saw. Nope. Somehow being forced to show your boobs and pushed around a little is more psychologically damaging than fighting hand to hand with re-animated corpses. Riiight.

This show is missing a plot. It's a zombie show about nothing. They have been in survival mode forever, and it's getting tired.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I liked that guy too, whatever his name was. He was just getting to grease his mustache with Carols pussy juice and gets shot in the domeski? Lame.

I hope the show picks a direction it wants to go in quick. Because right now it's limping towards nothingness.

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who was driving the van? Guvnah gave a knowing smirked when it went rolled in, and they needlessly covered the person driving up. Please not Andrea.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Nah it wasn't Andrea, the Gov doesn't tell her shit. It was definitely female though. Who was that woman he was boning the first time we saw him?

5. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When I first saw the driver jump out I immediately thought it was a woman. Then I thought that it was Andrea. After that I realized that would make no sense whatsoever. But then I considered the fact that a lot of things in this show make as much sense as a pig driving a hovercraft.

So, you know, in this world it's possible.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Andrea was left behind and told nothing when she inquired. Plus I think the hair of the mystery person was darker than Andrea's.

I'm trying to think of someone else they got separated from or had an encounter with or something and can't think of anyone.

7. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It was the black kid he meets with his dad in Season 1, Episode 1. You know, the one they build up for an entire hour and then just never mention again.

I didn't really mind the firefight itself. Frankly, I'd say that it'd be LESS believable if all of them were Johnny Deadeye when it comes to shooting (unless Shane were there, because Shane was the Boss, and ever since he's been dead I've been softly crying myself to sleep). Yes, they've survived long enough, but they're still civilians after all. Engaging human targets that obligingly don't wander slowly towards you, at fairly extreme range, isn't easy. I'd say that unless he was out of ammo, there was no reason for the Governor not to stay there and watch, or engage a few more of the group, however. And yeah, the "going crazy" deal was clearly just to get Rick out of the prison. Lazy writing there.

Also, am I the only one who FUCKING HATES Michonne? I haven't read the comics, so I don't know - and don't care - what she gets up to there. I'm merely concerned with her onscreen presentation, and that completely fucking sucks.

1. In a world where everyone's half-starved, she's got a perfect, "I-go-to-the-gym-everyday-and-watch-my-nutrition", body, even while on the run.
    2. She acts like an insufferable whorecunt bitch to absolutely fucking EVERYBODY, for no fucking reason. Even when to her the Governor was no more than "this benevolent dude who saved us from death and starvation on the road" she was an asshole to him, and then she was an asshole to Rick. And she killed the Governor's daughter FOR NO FUCKING REASON. She wasn't a threat, and he was begging her, with literally every ounce of humanity he had left, not to harm her, but no. "I'm Michonne and I'm a strong independent woman, so I'm just gonna go ahead and fuck her up".
    3. Her fucking bullshit SWORD. Firstly, it takes months, hell, YEARS to become proficient enough with a katana that you can wield it without accidentally slicing off one of your own limbs (that shit bounces off another weapon, armour etc and takes a glancing blow at your own leg, it's going to fuck your day UP) and there's virtually no one in the US that could train you to do that. Secondly, where the fuck did she get it? There are pretty much ZERO original Japanese katanas in the US, and those that exist are so rare they're worth millions of dollars. About 1% of the swords you can buy that are modern reproductions are what you'd consider "battle-ready", and even then you need to spend pretty much an hour of every day honing that thing with a wet oilstone if you're using it regularly. When's she got the time to do that shit?
    4. She's clearly nerd fap-fodder. A hot chick with a sword running around owning shit. And she's got a katana because every nerd thinks a katana is basically a lightsaber and is the best weapon ever created by any human in existence. Never mind the fact that it's designed to lay open flesh as it's a light slashing weapon, not cut through thick bone (i.e. skulls) so she'd be much better off with a heavier type sword.
    5. THIS fucking bullshit expression she wears all the time. Look at that shit. LOOK AT IT.

[​IMG]

Seriously, fuck Michonne.

8. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only logical reason for the Gov to retreat is if he's planning on fucking with them through a series of assaults. They know he knows where they are and he can strike any time. Or he's trying to flush them out so he can take over the prison. Regardless, it makes no sense that only two people were killed in that exchange and that he'd let Glen fly right by.

I concur about Michonne, I wanted to like her but she is too self contained, to her own detriment. She is frustrating, her character could be so much more fun.

9. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm with you on that whole 'screw Michonne and her dumb sword' thing, but do you seriously disapprove her stabbing little zombie girls in the face? Your time away from this board has really changed you, man.

10. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hey, don't get me wrong, whenever they try and get me to sympathise with zombies (Romero is particularly guilty of this) or any other vile creature that's been tearing people apart for the past two hours of screentime, my reaction is generally along the lines of:

I really don't have time for that shit. HOWEVER.

I didn't sympathise with the Governor's daughter, who's a gross monster that has pieces of her scalp come off when you touch her. I sympathised with the Governor, because he was a wreck of a human being who had gone beyond the "I can't kill this walker as it rises because it's a family member" to out-and-out "I'm going to keep this dangerous, empty shell chained up because it reminds me of what I used to have". And as such, brutally murdering what to him was still his daughter, from someone who's meant to be a sympathetic character, when he's unarmed and flat-out BEGGING you not to do it, is a cunt thing to do. Period. You could see a Merle or a Shane - hell, or the Governor himself - doing it, but we're meant to be rooting for this bitch. Baby-walker was no threat whatsoever, she could've just walked away. But no. So fuck her.

#150 T0m88, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Out of curiosity, how do you differentiate what Michonne did to the Governor's daughter as opposed to what your boy Shane did at the barn. Herschel and his family were in the same mindset regarding his wife/Maggie's stepmother and the people that they knew around town they had chained up. Does that make Shane a cunt since he did precisely the same thing?

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Shane's a cunt because he was boning Lori and tried to kill Rick.

13. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oh yeah, Shane was completely psychotic. But that's why I loved him.

And you were never meant to ROOT for Shane for any of Season 2, and pretty much half of Season 1. Michonne is supposed to be a hero character. I like Shane because I'm a warped individual and because even though he was evil, he was a massive badass. And Shane killed the walkers because he thought they were a threat. It's made pretty clear Michonne basically does it out of spite.

14. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Nah I disagree about Michonne. Her role in the comics is deux ex machina robotic zombie slayer that was dehumanized by the gov. Two things fuck up her character in the show. First, the gov let her off easy compared to what happened in the comic and second, they split off all the appealing empathetic parts of her character off into Daryl, who doesn't exist in the comic. In the comic she is bad ass, broken, but understandable based on what happened to her. The show just ignored all those pieces of her development and kept the zombie killing robot part.

Merle fucking sucks. The governor is a lightweight, and if they aren't careful they are going to ruin Rick. I'm not sure why Herschel isn't dead yet, unless he is supposed to save Rick from truly losing it, and if that happens, then Rick is ruined.

15. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can't explain exactly why I love Shane so much, but it mostly has to do with this moment in Season 1:

"You touch her again and next time I will not stop, do you hear me? Do you hear me? I'll beat you dead, Ed... I'll beat you! dead..."

Consummate badass. Even Darryl doesn't come close. Except for that awesome montage where he pushes an arrow through himself, eats a squirrel, makes himself a necklace of walker ears, and takes off into the woods like he doesn't give a fuck.

#155 T0m88, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Per Alan Sepinwall's review:
    I was calling him EB because he reminded me of EB Farnum from Deadwood.

17. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

"No, he can't use a gun. He has asthma!" Are you serious? Asthma? Do the writers even know what that is? What's the next excuse? He can't fire a gun because he has a tennis arm, or male pattern baldness, or athlete's foot?

Also, this episode reminded me too much of the farm.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah that last episode was bad. Not as bad as the the return, but still bad. Also I think the chick who drove the van through the gate was the brunette with wavy hair female soldier I'm sure they keep showing just not to have an all male army.

Tom88, you're cracking me up. There are zombies walking around and you're upset about katana maintenance? That shit was hilarious. The thing I hate the most is just the lack of telling pertinent information. Also, Andrea needs to die. She's survived 8 months with Michonne, somehow cold, sick, 9mm, but a random white dude lays the good wood and she's now more fucked up than Lori (and Skyler) could ever be.

I want to see how they salvage this, because there still is a way, but seeing Tyrese and crew team up with the Governor is going to be interesting. Pretty sure Tyrese and his girl are going to make the right call and join Rick's crew. The other two are of course going to somehow get eaten by zombies.

19. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Wait what? Once you've accepted the assumption "The dead are rising", then all the rest still has to follow a coherent, realistic narrative. That's pretty much the rule of thumb for suspension-of-disbelief. Otherwise why not have Merle replace his arm with a chainsaw or a minigun, or give all of the governor's men lightsabers? Hell, why are there no velociraptors? Where are the spaceships?

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, the one thing I'm not going to attack them for lack knowledgeable katana maintenance. I agree with you everything else is pretty annoying. I just never once thought "Why doesn't her katana get dull?" I was just happy she picked up a gun. What I did think though is "Why is Michonne rocking those fly ass studded boots?" Because her boots are pretty fly, and well, its a zombie apocalypse.