Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by gamecocks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

True enough I guess. Their world is tough and not giving a helping hand is about the same as slapping their face and leaving them to the dogs. However, there is a huge difference between agreeing to coexist in some (any) capacity, and pretending you come in peace and gunning down every single person from a distance.

HUGE difference.

2. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While both points are good, fundamentally its the same outcome, so I can't really see the difference.

Also, after knowing that they kill the auto pilot once they get the information from him, why haven't they also killed Andrea and Michonne? I guess it could be because they want more information on the whereabouts of Rick's group, but they said it had been 8 months, and they got split up during a zombie herd. Hearing that you wouldn't think they chances that they're still alive are too good anyway.

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If two people can stay alive for 8 months, the odds of at least some of the group being alive are decent. The reason he isn't killing them is because they're women. Can't repopulate the Earth without women. From what we've seen Rick and the Governor aren't all that different. I agree with above, Rick's just fooling himself if he thinks he's taking some sort of moral highroad.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whoa, there still is a huge difference. Have you guys looked up the word "difference?"

Rick and guys said they're going to help you clear out a cellblock and you move in there cellblock = safety since the prisoners wanted to stay there. They still have half the food which they can survive on. Then Rick and company will go into another cell block in better or worse condition and live there.

Guv'ner didn't even have a conversation. He rolled up, lit them up, took their supplies. Rick negotiated, Guv'ner did not. Huge difference.

I'm still having a problem with this soldier conversation. Like I said, those soldiers weren't wearing any brass. I can't accept that after being in uncomfortable military vehicles for 8 months they'd be all ready to put Woodbury under martial law. I feel like they'd like a warm shower, comfy bed and some ass. If the Guvner said "Let's work together" I don't see those guys plotting to overthrow him. Something is just wrong with that. Plus with those military vehicles and training, they'd be able to scavenge and secure their area real easy. The jump to "they would take over" is a little weird, I feel like their priorities would be what I mentioned before, or getting back to a military command. Maybe I just think too highly of soldiers.

Also, its funny how Merle gave a heads up that the Guv'ner was going to be a bad guy from his line about the guy walking up with a smile and his hands in his pockets being more dangerous. That's exactly what the Guv'ner is and he's being play excellently by that actor.

5. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, there is a difference in method, but they get similar results. Rick is passive because it helps him live with his conscience, while the Governer is proactive and will stop at nothing to preserve his power.

I give credit to Rick for keeping up his end of the deal, but his initial options were to kill the prisoners or throw them to the wolves. The deal only arose because the prisoners had food and could assist in securing it. Without this bargaining chip, there is no way Rick would clear out a cell block for them.

The prisoners may have a cell block, but they have limited food, can’t fight their way out of the prison, and can’t join the group. Unless something changes, they are doomed to starve to death. Rick may not be putting bullets in them, but he has to know he is leaving them in a hopeless situation. When the prisoners get desperate, they will repeatedly approach Rick’s group begging for help. The frustration of rejection will eventually cause them to attack, giving Rick justification to kill them. Not much difference, the Governer is just willing to be the aggressor.

If the soldiers joined Woodbury, people would turn to them for all matters related to security. It would bump the Governor out of the loop and I don’t see that sitting well with him. A Shane vs Rick dynamic would form and divide the community with the edge going to the soldiers.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, yes. But the conversation around the soldiers was that they're an aggressive threat th the Guv'ner, as opposed to what you outlined up top. I'm just saying I don't think the soldiers would stroll in there like "Oh we run this shit now," but the natural tilt towards them I can see happening. Then again, soldiers do like orders, they could have fallen in line.

Anyway, that's just a fun conversation. I'm dying to see why the fuck he's putting heads in fish tanks.

7. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just assumed it was because there was no more tv. You guys don't do that when the power goes out? I guess I've gotta clean out my shed then.

8. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That didn't know how to set up a fucking perimeter.

Are there rules against spoilers from the comics? There's a pretty good explanation for why the governor keeps body parts.

[​IMG]

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I am sure their last thought was an attack by humans. Their setup wasn't bad if the only enemy is going to amble up to you, weaponless at a distance.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Also, too late to edit, but they were waiting for a guy in a helicopter so they needed to be in a somewhat open area.

11. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ehhhh. The show is good enough to merit suspended disbelief... but military/weapon stuff is not their strong suit. One of those PFCs was wearing his rank upside down.

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hahaha, well since this isn't a miltary show, shit like that is going to slip by since they were on screen for all of 5 seconds before getting lit up.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

El husband gets really frustrated with some of the stuff that goes on, especially with the different guns and things. I don't notice any of it but he starts yelling at the TV next to me.

14. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife could've written this post (wait, is that...?). Having read World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, it's hard to take this show as seriously as I'm "supposed" to.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I read WWZ too and enjoyed the heck out of it. I just don't have the training or interest in guns and military strategy to pick up on the stuff he is deeply offended by.

It's a good thing we can pause the episodes in the middle, because if I lost out on some of the dialogue in these 30 minute episodes while he went off on a loud tangent I would be royally pissed.

16. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

How convenient, we lost enough weight to offset the addition of the prisoners. I liked that T-Diggity called out Rick on the illusion of choices he gave the prisoners. Maybe Rick will stop beating around the bush from now on.

17. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the newborn would qualify as more weight, gotta feed it and keep it quiet.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fucking shit, that was awesome. Pimptress, I don't think we need to spoiler anything. The new running rule is, don't come in here unless you're caught up or don't mind spoilers. Sorry. I don't think they're going to replace them with the prisoners. I think they need to balance out everyone in the town. Remember they pay people per episode, so if you're going to have people on every episode jumping back and forth its going to cost. I doubt they'll have another town only episode again.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Holy shit, that was one of the saddest things I've watched for entertainment purposes in a long, long time. I may or may not have teared up a little or a lot.

20. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Anyone else think that the unapologetic Black Guy Swapping is a little weird?

Agreed. That last scene - especially that moment where Rick looks at Carl and instantly puts together what must have happened - was incredibly acted.

Some serious 'Best Actor' competition between Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Homeland this year.

Edit: I like Slate's TV Club write-ups: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...d_recap_episode_4_killer_within_reviewed.html

I liked the last bit...

"Jeff: Seriously: How can The Walking Dead sustain this level of carnage and loss?
    Chris: Before long, there won't be many of the original crew."
    Me: noooo shit