Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by gamecocks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I will quit watching this show if Michone sees visions of Andrea like Rick does his wife.

2. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If the group knew of Andrea’s failure this season, I think they would share Carl’s feelings. I agree with him and am interested in where they go with this. Rick may try to change Carl’s perspective next season and if he does, I hope he gets called out.

I agree with Mekka about the finale. It was disappointing, but I’ll still tune in next season to see Governer and Martinez die horrible deaths.

3. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah he was stabbed in the stomach and I'm sure that shit hurts like a motherfucker, but couldn't Milton have crawled over and handed her the pliers?

4. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He was more than stabbed, he was fucking gutted. It'd take a hard, hard, HARD man to do that, which Milton wasn't.

The finale was fucking garbage. I'm glad I watched Game of Thrones instead. Unlike Season 2, which petered out in the middle and had a fucking fantastic finale (it was worth watching all those hours in the farm just because of the sensory jolt it gives you to see them so brutally torn out of it) this one basically didn't have any tension or threat at all. The governor was liquidated inside of 2 minutes, and the bit where he invades the prison never felt dramatic because I, for one, had thought Rick's group had actually abandoned it.

Instead, they gave us a cheapo, throwaway death with Andrea dying (they didn't even show her getting bitten or turning, for fuck's sake) because they know nobody cares about her character.

Honestly, they're gonna have to seriously pull something out of the bag to make me interested for Season 3. And I fucking LOVE zombies. And I still think the Walking Dead's generally shambling, but quicker once they're riled up and hungry type zombies are the best incarnation we've ever seen on screen, not to mention having some of the best makeup.

Hire some decent fucking writers already.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Question: Which episode is the second best episode since the premiere?
    Answer: Clear.
    Question: Who is the showrunner for next year?
    Answer: The guy who wrote Clear.

I think next season will be better. They just have to structure the show where they focus on 3-5 people on a time like they did with clear. If they keep trying to focus on 20 people, the show is going to suck.

6. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I think the writers were trying to avoid the Dexter trap where every season has a main enemy that Dexter neatly deals away with in the finale, where each season they think they find refuge and the finale is them being forced to move on: they're on the road then they find the CDC and think they can stay but nope --> they're on the road then they find the farm and think they can stay but nope--> they're on the road then they find the prison and think they can stay but nope. I get it, it would've been repetitive, but the prison v. Woodbury/Governor story really needed to be tied up. You can't have a whole season leading up to the promise of some epic battle, with entire episodes spent talking about how "there's going to be a war, I really mean it you guys!" and then have that battle last all of 5 minutes where one side does all the shooting for the first 2.5 minutes and the other side does all the shooting for the next 2.5 minutes and the Governor fucking runs away and nothing all that important happens. (Except for maybe Carl shooting that guy - yay character development.) I am tired of the prison, I don't care about defending it. And while I like the Governor as the human enemy, I don't see much opportunity for any new conflict with him other than the same 3 stories that were each played out 5 times already this season.

To me - besides the often shitty dialogue, big plot holes, and the fact that my suspension of disbelief in a show about zombies is usually targeted towards accepting human idiocy for the sake of moving the story forward - the biggest problem the writers have is with pacing, both for the seasons as a whole and in the individual episodes. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the frequently shifting staff they're dealing with, but it gets so damn sloppy sometimes. Having Andrea spend half an hour having a heart-to-heart with a guy who's swiftly dying in order to kill you was the worst. Having episodes of talking about action and then only having a few minutes of action was the worst. I'm in the minority where I actually liked season 2 - or at least consider it on par with season 3 - because, even though it also had a few episodes that felt kind of tedious, those slower moments and storylines always had a payoff. The search for Sophia had the awesome payoff of Zombie Sophia, the soap opera love triangle plot had Rick killing Shane, and - as someone else mentioned above - the contrast of the days spent on this idyllic, peaceful farm made its attack and demise that much more shocking with a much greater impact. But with this season, at the end I was left feeling like, after all that, nothing really ever happened. I didn't get that payoff. The finale was just so utterly unsatisfying.

I don't know, the show has enough good to really good episodes scattered throughout the seasons to keep me coming back to it. I loved the Lori episode and the Morgan episode. I'll probably at least give Season 4 a shot, mostly due to the fact that the idea of the show has so much promise and I'm just hoping they'll finally find their footing. I want a different setting, and I want a new threat/conflict.

7. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The mental toll of living in the zombie apocalypse is an interesting theme I like about this show. As awesome as it is watching zombies eat people, exploring things like motivation in a hopeless world or whether people are only as moral as their environment allows are also a draw for me. I’m not giving the writer’s a full pass for some of the weaker episodes this season, but I can appreciate the need for slower episodes once in a while to set things up or a general desire to avoid over-reliance on the zombie gimmick. Andrea gets a lot of hate, but in her talk with Milton she regrets not killing Governer in his sleep. The end of her arc suggests that pre-apocalypse morals don’t cut it anymore. This is followed by Carl disappointing Rick by throwing those ideals out the window. Will Carl become similar to Governer? Will Rick change, or will he fail in a similar manner to Andrea? I want to see where they go with this.

I might read the books before the new season starts if I can get them.

8. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just downloaded them all to get myself caught up, because I'm not watching that trash heap of a television show anymore.

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet Jesus.

[​IMG]

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It makes you almost see where the governor is coming from.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She looks kinda like Megan from Mad Men a weebit.

Oh so did you guys hear about the spinoff? Same Zombies, completely different location. Hopefully this time with characters that make sense and a lack of dumb women.

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Walking Dead Season 3

I am not holding my breath

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just burned through seasons 2 and 3 on netflix. Well at least season three was a little better paced than two. Nothing happened in two and the raid at the end of the season didn't win me over. I am pretty much with paperbag on this show as far as themes they explore in the universe the story revolves around. But like everyone here is saying the execution, particularly the writing, has become fucking terrible. The lines are becoming more frequently network tv corny, I thought for a moment during the first Woodbury episodes I was watching Jericho all over again (which wasn't too bad except for that tweener kid that sucked nuts).

I haven't read through this entire thread but I kind of dug how they had Rick out of commission for a few episodes in a sort of PTSD fog. Not that it was done perfectly but taking a main character out was a nice turn. The governor as a character was also a very cool addition. His wild psychopathic motivations were definitely set apart from what you'd normally see on TV.

I think this shows ultimate weakness is character development. They really don't have very clearly defined boundaries. Rick is the leader, sometimes, and that's about it, everyone else has zero motivation to do anything but mope around the zombie apocalypse until they get bitten. Since not many of them are written very strongly, or like Tdog just not written for at all, their eventual deaths don't have that much impact. The only death that did have impact was Lori's and I thought Merle's but damn if finding anybody else this season. Most people are written as irritating to begin with, Shane, Andrea, the wiener Chinese kid.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cutty and D'angelo barksdale? Anymore wire people?

15. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

AY STRING. STRING. LOOK AT ME. WHERE THE FUCK IS WALLACE, STRING?

.. so are we to assume the groundwater is contaminated?

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That or a mutation of some sort. It would be funny to see the whole crew keep kosher.