Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by gamecocks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's like saying that the long and short of the entire show has been, "Hey! Shit! Zombies! BANGBANGbang stabstabstab (some peoples dies)." While technically true, doesn't really capture the entirety of the situation.

Might as well ask why anyone does anything. He feels that with the set of circumstances before him, he is justified in the actions he takes. He's probably always been a dick, just in more minor, socially acceptable ways. If he wasn't lying about that story with his wife, then sure it's sad. But it's gotta be in no way the whole picture. We don't know if he was an abusive husband, a drunk, a passive aggresive torturer. His job sucked? Maybe he sucked at it. Maybe he was a prick there, as well. Or maybe he was a deacon at church, and an all around good guy, who just fuckin snapped when the zombie apocalypse hit. I'm guessing that a lot of people aren't going to deal real well with that sort of thing if it ever happens.

Mostly, it seems like everyone has been nitpicking the shit out of the show while they're clearly manuevering pieces for a big ending.

2. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes, but here we've gone from "moderate dick" to "genuinely evil". I get that his last shred of humanity was his daughter and (fucking) Michonne took care of THAT, but his behaviour is still unexplained, and it's gotten to be late enough in the show that it's starting to grate.

We now virtually everyone's backstory, including minor characters, and other pieces of information have been seeded really well - like how it turns out Merle ran out on Daryl to join the army and left him to get beaten up by their dad. The governor? He's an enigma, but he gets enough screentime to not be mysterious - we know his plans all the time, mostly because he tells Dr Plot Device. It's just plain bad storytelling, which is annoying because they're good with all the other character backstories. We even get some bits and pieces to make Michonne more rounded. Hell, Hispanic Dude from that episode had his backstory cleared in two seconds. We've seen the governor for a whole season now. Was his daughter getting bitten his fault? Was he fraying on the edges before shit went down? Was his psychosis just waiting to boil over? Did something happen after the world went to shit, like with Shane, to drive him over the edge? We don't know. And crucially, because we've been titillated with precisely zero information, we can't speculate, so he's uninteresting. At the moment, he's just a completely malevolent force with no justification, and he falls flat. He was better-rounded when his daughter was still undead.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually think Tom88 does a lot of nitpicking, but he's right on the Governor. We needed a better explanation of why he had zombie and non-zombie heads in the glass cases. Killing someone is one thing, that secret room is still fucking unexplainable. That soldier didn't do anything bad to him, no reason to keep his head. I get keeping his daughter, makes perfect sense in this world especially since you have a scientist trying to work on bring people back. They could have slipped in a few details to make him click more. He also should never have went dark. His new leather padded jacket was a little too "look at the big bad villian". He was better while he was shooting people and smiling, he never should have lost that.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Andrea is gonna get her shit rocked.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else feel like that chase scene was a little filler? Also if you have a knife and its a dark ass building, wouldn't you go in a little bit and find a dark corner to pop out and stab the fucker? That would be my first goal.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Walking Dead Season 3

Or you know just TAKE HIS FUCKING TRUCK and drive to the prison.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that stabbing would make such a thing easier. Her effort to not double back was stupid. Once you disregard all logic, another episode focused on a select group of people that character wise was much better. Angela didn't say anything cringe worthy. Also, how the fuck does the Governor have such great torture skills? Is this something he learned at his job with his younger boss?

8. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I know this is a weird first post for this thread, but I need to ask someone: with the Governor's little torture chamber there, speculum + needle and thread = some kind of sewing up vagina torture, right? Because I really don't know if I can handle even the implication of that,both in crossing the line with my own heebie jeebies and that I really don't know if I buy the Governor becoming that sadistic that suddenly.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long for him to become sadistic. The character is a violent nut job in the GN, so this is more par for the course.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The needle and thread go along with the gauze, bandages, and the funnel, which (according to the prop master) is for forcing you to stay hydrated. That stuff is there so that he can torture you for longer.

11. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This.

Also, do you really need "torture expertise"? Hell, watching a couple of the Saw movies would probably qualify you. I'm fairly certain I, along with most other people, could easily make someone wish they were dead with a couple household tools.

I quite enjoyed this episode. There were some tense moments and some interesting questions raised (who torched the zombies?) but they're still meandering a little. I feel like this season could probably have been wrapped in 12 episodes, and benefited from it.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Isn't that almost blatantly Milton or whatever the nerd's name is?

I liked how Andrea watched the torture chamber being set up, pretty clearly for Michonne, and it ended up being her in there. Two episodes left, so I'm guessing one more prep/setup episode from the prison perspective, maybe ending with the beginning of the conflict. Followed by conflict, a tense confrontation between two/three of the mains and the Governor, and then a big twist ending.

13. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah most definitely Milton. And the Guv'na knows. My guess is Milton ends up killing him, or at least playing a part.

This show is hillarious sometimes. I'm probably forgetting something, but was the whole "you saved my wife in front of my kid and now he thinks I'm a pussy" thing established before this episode (and could the son look any more pitiful)? And Tyreese just all of a sudden "sees red" and almost feeds Pussy Father to walkers...seconds after going off about how feeding people to walkers is cruel?

And then the Andrea chase. I liked most of it, and I'll give the benefit of the doubt that the Governor took the keys from the truck, but he must have drove to catch up with her -- she didn't hear a lone vehicle approaching from quite far away (not to mention just sprinting down the freakin highway to start)? And then she gets within shouting distance of the prison (and seeing distance of Rick), Govenor catches up with her...and she doesn't scream for help? Yeah there are walkers around, but she's right there, and she knows the govenor doesn't just want to talk.

For me, the good parts of this show are almost always negated by things that just seem so slapped together. I mainly just keep coming back for things like crispified zombies, which was awesome.

Oh and was there any point to the Michonne/Andrea flashback? Like at all?

14. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Trying to give Michonne some depth because - surprise! - TV audiences are less nerdy than comic book audiences, so the automatic sop of "hot chick with katana" falls flat, and from what I can see most people fucking can't stand her.

Also, I was thinking this during that entire scene, but the chained walkers seems like a fucking awful idea (I just noticed, Rick's group calls them Walkers, the Woodbury people Biters). First off, they're creepy as shit, and their continued presence 24/7 would probably drive you off the reservation. Second, yeah they might mask you a little, but surely if you're able to sleep with them spazzing out you're just as likely to not wake up when actual, non-detoothed zombies show up to the party and catch you napping? I'm fairly certain they'd notice you if they stumbled over your acclimatised ass.

Andrea's escape seemed mostly logical to me. She took off down the road because she knew she could hear any cars coming a long way off and dive into the woods, plus she could make better progress, not get lost, and see any zombies coming. She only got caught out afterwards because she was completely exhausted and had survived a pretty close encounter with a bunch of zombies. Bit hard to hear a car in a field full of rustling grass where the loudest noise is your ragged breathing.

Oh, and Tyrese is all over the shop at this point, for the reasons mentioned above.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the guy who torched the zombies being Crazy Black Man. Just because Milton seems way, way too obvious.

15. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It still didn't add anything unless you consider her hatred of Walkers something new. They ate, and she brooded.

16. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well, we now know (which anyone who's googled her probably did already) that she knew the two pet walkers intimately and that they were apparently not nice people.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They've been hinting at them being her ex-boyfriend/boyfriend or some family member. I'm sure it'll come out eventually.

18. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get staying near the road for navigational purposes, but it doesn't make sense for hiding purposes. A car coming down the road (or, say, a truck driven with intention) has a far better chance of seeing a blonde woman running in the middle of the damn thing than if she's off to the side in the bushes, or even in the ditch. Also seems more likely to attract a zombie hoard than using the trees for SOME kind of cover. Still can't think of a reason why she wouldn't scream to Rick, either.

I thought they were explicitly showing the viewer that it was Milton and that the Governor knew, but we'll see.

The Michonne flashback just seems a third of a season too late.

19. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking, what the fuck does this flashback have to do with anything?

20. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Regardless of who actually burned the zombies, I think Milton gets killed for it, but not before he does something that helps bring down the Governor.