Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Villains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noland, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last night I put in "Sleeping Beauty" for my 5 year old. (I'm a bad parent, just get past this.)

Mrs. Noland and I then engaged in a discussion on whether or not the witch in Sleeping Beauty was the baddest villain in movie history. She threw some nonsense Darth Vader crap at me and I retorted that a woman who could summon "all the powers of Hell", turn into a dragon, and breathe green fire pretty much won it for me.

Her name, Maleficent, is just frightening even without the hell, dragon, green fire stuff.

FOCUS: Who is the best movie villain?

ANT-FOCUS: Who was the worst movie villain, and who should play a movie villain?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm a huge fan of cheesy science-fiction type crap.

It should not come as a huge surprise, then, when I say that one of my favourite villains was Gene Simmons in a super-schlocky 80's movie called Runaway, starring Tom Selic.

Awesome.

#2 Nettdata, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. EarthExile

EarthExile
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Magneto. Yes, I know he's a comic book villain, but the first two X-Men films made him so much more impressive and villainous. (sp?)

Reference the scene in X-Men 2 where he escapes from prison, with only the equivalent of like three steel ball bearings. He's utterly calm, in control, and brutally violent all at the same time.
    And like most real-life bad guys, it's not his power that makes him dangerous, it's his cast-iron principles. He can explain his actions and motivations so elegantly that you find yourself often on his side. He's relatable, yet he's also a monster. A truly chilling antagonist.

And then goddamn fucking X-Men 3... /shudder

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amun Goeth as portrayed by Ralph Feinnes. By Far.

Scarier that he was a real person.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus:

Kevin Spacey in Seven.

6. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Troy Duffy in the movie Overnight.

Yes, this is a documentary, but how else do you describe Duffy in this movie? Troy Duffy was the director of the Boondock Saints and pretty much blew his big chance in Hollywood by acting like a raging asshole to anybody he came into contact with. Watching his epic fail was one of the most joyful things I've seen in cinema.

#6 MisterMiracle, Nov 13, 2009
  7. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

People:

Don't just post a name just to see your pretty little avatar on the thread. If you think someone is the greatest villian ever, tell us why you think that. If your explanation contains spoilers, use the appropriate tags.

8. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry BlueDog, let me expand on that.

Kevin Spacey is a combination of creepy, incredibly intelligent, and vicious. His calm attitude masks the villian inside of him which makes him even more evil (especially with how calm he is during the climax at the end). Every move was calculated in order to create the perfect puzzle and lead the police the way he wanted them to go. He could've even killed Brad Pitt at one point, but he held off because it would've compromised his goal.

Someone that determined to finish something so sinister is absolutely a great movie villian in my book.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The prison warden in Midnight Express. Totally sadistic bastard and what's worse, it's based on a true story. That prison makes Angola look like Augusta National.

10. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

THAT WASN'T VERY NICE RAMSEY!!!!

Focus: Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown in IT and also Darkness in Legend.

Pennywise is pretty much the reason I'd like to punch a clown in the face. Say what you want about the miniseries itself (cough ending sucked) but he was terrifying and you couldn't look away.

His portrayal of Darkness in Legend is just flat out evil, creepy, whatever you want to call it, yet again mesmerizing.

Honorable mention for Mr. Boddy in Clue.

#10 Dmix3, Nov 13, 2009
  11. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Brother Justin Crowe (Clancy Brown) from Carnivale. Man, he scared the crap out of me. Partly what makes him so evil is that he thinks he is being guided by God and is actually the good force battling evil. But we all know that he is bad because his eyes turn creepy black when he does something evil, which is often. But, in the end we will never know because they ended that series well before its time.

[​IMG]

12. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Without a doubt Anton Chighur from "No Country Fro Old Men". A sociopathic hitman with a cattle gun and a silenced shotgun just about does it for me.

#12 PewPewPow, Nov 13, 2009
  13. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Who's tha Masta?

Motherfuckin'. SHO. NUFF.

Forget the other pansies in this thread- This is the baddest dude in Harlem. What motivates a man such as this to do the things he does?

Money? Nope:
    Pride? Uh uh:
    Kick ass sneakers? Maybe:
    Anger? Sure:
    No matter where his hatred and pure evilness comes from, one thing is certain- Bruce Leroy ain't got SHIT on my boy Sho'Nuff. Catches bullets with his teeth? NIGGA PLEASE.

#13 Blue Dog, Nov 13, 2009
  14. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Brad Pitt did a movie called Kalifornia in which he played a serial killer carpooling on a cross country trip with a guy writing a book about famous serial killers. I 've always thought his portrayal was great.

"Do you feel powerful? Do you feel superior?"
    "Put your titty back up, Adel!"
    "I ain't ridin' no bus, bitch!"
    "You don't want to go in there, Bri. It's wall to wall stink."

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Max Motherfuckin' Cady (Robert DeNiro) from Cape Fear (Scorsese version) for the win, bitches!!!

[​IMG]

Like Anton Chigurh, he was just completely unstoppable. He was a rapist who was sold up the river by his lawyer, and after doing a grueling 14 year stretch, he tracks him down and is hell bent on fucking his shit up. He educated himself in prison (like my brother, who is also doing 14 years, but for robbing 4 banks across Texas [that they could prove]) and very smart and sneaky, tough as nails (he beat the shit out of 3 guys hired to mess him up), and in great shape.
    If you haven't seen this movie, then you need to punch yourself in the crotch, then go rent it.
    Hell, I feel kind of like doing the same thing to that condescending prick of a lawyer in Austin who basically took $5000 from me for a case that I could have easily gotten out of, only to have me end up doing jail time anyway.

For pure evil genious, it's Hannibal Lecter hands down. If you read the books (I had to read Silence of the Lambs for my college American Lit class. My professor rocked!) he is even more intelligent/crazy than the movies.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Since we're preaching DeNiro, Neil MCCaulay in Heat was an exceptional "villain". Cool as a cucumber, tough, fearless, smart and above all human. Only in the end is he undone by his own thirts for revenge.
    A truly great villain is the kind you want to get away at the end. Neil McCaulay is such a villain.

On a goofy note, I loved Billy Zane as the smooth talking Dark Collector in Tales From The Crypt presents: Demon Knight. He has endlessly hilarious dialogue to balance his grotesque and viscious personality.

17. spoons

spoons
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know if he's a villain exactly but my friends and I have had several discussions about how Eric Cartman may just be the most evil character we've ever seen in fiction. He's racist, doesn't respect anyone else, will do anything for his own gain and nothing to help another human being unless he sees benefits in it for himself. Oh, and he arranged for someone's parents to be killed and then fed them to him as chili. That's pretty fucked up.

On a more traditional villain, I would say Judge Holden from Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. He is a pedophile, a rapist, a cold blooded murderer and cheerfully contributes genocide while playing everyone around him against each other and reveling in their suffering. Aton Chigurh is scary but Holden is the most evil character McCarthy has ever created.

#17 spoons, Nov 13, 2009
  18. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He's not the best villain, but my personal favorite is Norman Stansfield (Gary Oldman) from The Professional. A psychotic drug-abusing corrupt DEA agent who loves classical music definitely works for me.

19. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard.
    The way he shoots the Japanese boss in the head with such nonchalance. Just the stoic German fucker.
    I almost expected him to start dancing when they get the vault open.

And Darth Vader was about the baddest ass in the whole galaxy until Uncle George tossed him under a bus.

20. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have to agree with Anton Chigurh as the overall best. He's the ultimate villain; an unstoppable force of nature that is the pinnacle of human intelligence, strength, cruelty, and manipulation. He is deadly and serious, yet at the same time has a charismatic, thrilling streak that puts the Heath Ledger and even Jack Nicholson Jokers to shame.

Before watching "No Country for Old Men", it was a close battle for the top spot between two worthy candidates;

Kakihara from Ichi the Killer; the greatest depiction of an insane villain ever. Not only is he a bizarre-looking Yakuza with an endless penchant for dismembering his dozens of victims, brutal rape and torture, but he is exceptionally fond of self-mutilation, carving scars into his own face, and eventually cutting off his own body parts. Add to this a killer fashion sense, especially for pink/purple coats, and a diabolical sense of humor, and he's truly exceptional.

Thulsa Doom from Conan the Barbarian; possibly the greatest depiction of a cold and intensely arrogant villain. Played immaculately by James Earl Jones, at no point in the film does he ever give the impression of being remotely human. His eyes, his face aren't quite expressionless...rather, they exhibit the calm, endlessly cruel bearing of a God...which is precisely what he seeks to become.

He never panics, callously sacrifices his followers for no reason than to prove a simple point, and never believes that he can be bested by Conan or anyone else.

Also, I have to mention the

Unnamed German priest from Alexander Nevsky. This one deserves some credit because watching the film some 55 years later, I was still struck by how intensely evil and despicable this character was. The film had Teutonic knights throwing babies into a burning fire, but they couldn't compare in sheer malignance to him.

Yet, what did he do? The priest was on screen for only about a minute, and played a tune on the piano, all while staring out of his black cowl. Filmmakers back then were masters of propaganda from looks alone, that's for sure. Probably the first great villain I've seen.