Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

VICE

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

HBO, in some genuine push towards good taste and intelligence has signed the VICE guys to their own show which premieres tonight at 11pm (in this country, anyway). I CANNOT WAIT.

With CNN just scrapping pretty much their entire investigative journalism department, it's nice we can still see how things really are out there with shows like this. It's important. They let their subjects speak for themselves and that is what the world needs to hear.

#1 Crown Royal, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

VICE has the best documentaries out there. The VICE guide to North Korea is miles better than the trash Laura Ling put out there.

#2 Juice, Apr 5, 2013
  3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: VICE

I knew I recognized the VICE name, the North Korea doc was great, I'll definitely check this out.

#3 Flat_Rate, Apr 5, 2013
  4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Jesus. CHRIST. What a devastating opening episode. These guys blissfully don't hold back or chickenshit out of ANYTHING, do they? Interviewing Taliban leaders and child soldier recruiters right on camera? Insanely awesome (and horrible) stuff. REAL international news finally, and as exciting and suspenseful as any show out there.

Bottom line: the world is a fucked up place. And this show is one of the best on TV already.

5. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll fucking second this, I don't watch "news", I don't visit "news" sites often because of the bullshit PC police and the fact that you can find a counter-argument for anything online.

This show is going to be amazing, anyone know how many episodes they plan on doing? Awesome stuff, will be watching every episode for sure.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Watch the VICE Guide to Liberia. Might be the one of the craziest things Ive seen. Makes North Korea look like candy land. The look on Shane's (the host) face when one of the rebel generals goes into detail with describing child sacrifices is priceless.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This show is one of the best things to come out of my country since insulin. It's more addictive than heroin or pussy.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Second episode is stellar, this show holds nothing back.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm really hoping none of these guys get killed during filming in the coming years, because they REALLY hang their balls out there.

The second episode was as awesome as the first, North Korea continues to blow my mind with its fucked-uppedness.

Whenever you're having First World Problems, throw this shit on. It's a crazy planet out there.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Just, wow. My soul is crying. Opinions on episode 3, anyone?

I'd love to know what American viewers thought of the "Gun School". Personally, I found it extremely wrongheaded, but I'm guessing it's a territory thing? I mean, this is a vey rare thing to have a place like this, right? I'm trying not to stir the gun pot whatsoever, just opinion.

The second half, I just don't know how Shane does it. It seems that despite being the top dog of the show he takes the most soul-crushing assignments. That may have been the most harrowing thing I ever remember seeing. That came so close to driving me to tears I wanted to turn it off, but couldn't. I think I wish I did, that was just.... awful.

I absolutely love how professional these guys are as well. Despite their own personal opinion on their subjects, they never interrupt, act rude, talking condescendingly or so much as roll their eyes no matter what insane bullshit they might here. It's nice to have a show where you get facts, and the straight opinion from the people of the subject.

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just had a chance to watch it, the "gun school" I have no problem with, I could see why some people have an issue but its a private school so the policy isn't being forced on anyone.

Second part of the episode was some hard TV to watch, Shane is pretty fearless and unflinching with this stuff, I know I wouldn't do it.

12. Marburg

Marburg
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm not sure how much they could attribute the birth defects to the depleted uranium ammunition that the Americans used. To say that a lot of these maladies are a direct result of it is also very difficult to prove. When they covered the little child and stated that he was slowly dying due to a PDA is quite ludicrous. In the general population 10% of people will have a probe patent PDA and will be asymptomatic. Obviously this child may have been symptomatic; however it could be medically managed with indomethacin or surgically ligated. I think a compounding factor to the whole dilemma is their 4th world sticks and rocks medical management that they currently have. I mean looking at Fallujah General it appeared to be the same size as a tiny community hospital in the sticks of West Virginia.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I thought the gun school thing was kind of cool, and it probably would be pretty beneficial if something ever did happen there. But yeah, Id say its territorial due to th close proximity to the Mexican border. As cool and interesting as it is, paranoid suburbanites would go apeshit if something like popped up in the northeast.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was really underwhelmed when I marathon watched all the episodes last week. Ive heard about Vice for a while on Joe Rogans podcast and everyone in this thread has been sucking its dick. Maybe it was just built up too much to deliver what I was expecting. Something substantive.

First, yes, they cover crazy stories and seek out dangerous situations that the mainstream media never really cover. Which is basically the show's biggest credit. As for thoughtful, deep, or meaningful reporting the show is paper thin. The "reporters" aside from Shane are insufferable hipster douches I want to brain with a wrought iron poker (particularly that 110 lbs idiot who did the Chinese dating and the Africa fattening segments). Marburg's post brings up more substantive questions then anything they ask the people they interview in the show. Which is mostly them asking simple questions that just kind of make light of the crazy situation they've put themselves in and stare at the camera with that "ugh, isn't this, like, a crazy situation... man?" look on their face.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beyond the hipster overtones, is anyone still watching? I think its great coverage of interesting shit I wouldn't know about otherwise, like China buying the vast majority of scrap from the US.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I still watch it. What other real news is there? News with field investigations where the reporters DONT offer opinion, but let the subjects speak for themselves like it should be. CNN doesn't even HAVE an investigative team any more because they fired them, how pathetic is that

What I also love about it is that its also the only news program I know of that flat-out says climate change is real while backing it up with visual evidence.

It is a very scary, but necessary show. They should force high schools to watch it.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just because they haven't gone full cable news retard doesn't mean they don't have an opinion on what ever topic they are covering and slant it that way. I'd say semi objective. For instance they had a segment on Ibogaine being some miracle drug to help drug addicts recover. Having heard Shane Smith talk about it on Joe Rogan's podcast as well as other retard psychonauts suck it's supposedly healing dick they take a couple of personal stories they've heard, claim it works miracles, and is only being ignored by the media because of the powers that be at the drug manufactures. It's shitty investigative reporting and confirmation bias at it's worst.

I give them props for putting themselves in danger and doing a lot of stories mainstream stuff stay away from but these dudes aren't objective by a long shot.