Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

V

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by fishysticks, Nov 3, 2009.

1. fishysticks

fishysticks
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Wondering if anyone watched the premiere of "V"?
    How do you think it compared, so far, to the original minisieries (at subsequent series) from the 80s?

I've been looking forward to V for months now, and thanks to SyFy (gag, I hate that it isn't SciFi anymore), got to catch up on the ENTIRE old series (i'm a stay at home mom, nothing better to do when the kids are sleeping).

I really liked the premiere, and hoping the rest of the season lives up to all the hype. I think it's hilarious that instead of just coming to harvest humans for food like in the original, they played into the conspiracy theory that there have been lizard people living among us for years (presidents, people of power, etc). I am wondering, however, if they will end up eating humans like in the original. I'm still not clear on what the V really want, but I had 2 screaming kids so I may have missed that.

Shocked they got right down to the dirty and exposed the V so quickly, and that Erica's partner (the FBI agent) ended up being an evil V.

Anna is incredibly creepy and sinister, the actress does a great job.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I just hope this isn' going to be a sign of the times: remaking old shows on TV instead of fresh ideas, much like the movie industry (horror in particular). I was a little kid when I saw the original "V" double miniseries in the early-mid eighties. It was scary, exciting, and I wet 'em the first time I saw the alien's real faces. Also, it made a superstar out of Marc Singer, who got the pick of the litter for Hollywood scripts and brilliantly chose to star in the Palm D'Or winner The Beastmaster.

This rehash will probably suck, but you never know. The opening episode didn't blow my skirt up. This should be a mini-series or one movie, not a network running series. What's more, this plot has been done a billion times in the past.

3. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My roommate's an extra in a couple episodes of V. Once as a protester, and once in a different episode as a V, in the form of a "perfect" human. All of the people patting her on the back on facebook, it's making me gag. She's a goddamn extra! Yes she's hot, but who cares, no one should EVER brag about being an extra, I guess I'm the only one in this house who understands that however. "Officially" joining the cast of V implies you're a cast-member!

I'm sorry, this was slightly off-topic, I've needed to vent. And I know I sound like some sort of jealous hater, but I'm not, if she got an actual role, hell, even a one-time role with a line, I'd be thrilled for her, but an extra? Come on.

4. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The lizard people theory? This just threw me right out of it.

Besides that, I enjoyed the show. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to get past this.

5. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

John Fitzgerald Page's ears must be burning right now.

But seriously, I thought the pilot was intriguing. It was pretty faithful to the original premise, and the twist in this series - that the Visitors have been on Earth for some time already - should give it a little more of a plot boost. Sustaining the story over a full season rather than just a few hours (as in a mini-series) is going to be a pretty heady task, and I can cut the writers some slack there.

Still, they'd better find some way to get MICHAEL! MOTHERFUCKING! IRONSIDE! into this show soon. There can be no resistence without Ham Tyler.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was a big fan of V when I was a kid. My mom gagged in the scenes where the aliens would eat mice and you'd see their wiggling tails sticking out of their mouths, so my dad and I used to tease her by wiggling our index fingers next to our mouths.

When I rewatched the series on DVD a couple years ago, I hearted his character big time and pretty much lost most of my enthusiasm for watching when he left.

Does anyone know if they are going to do an encore of the new one this week? Long story short, we neglected to set the DVR.

7. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could always watch it on ABC.com. They usually post every episode the day after.

I was predisposed to love it, as a kid I used to walk to my father's apartment every Thursday to watch it with him. Plus as a Lostie I'm a huge fan of Elizabeth Mitchell. I do like the way they tweaked the formula a bit having the terrorist cells they were tracking being actual V's that got here early. The premise is solid and I'll be tuning in for the next three weeks and again when it comes back next year.

8. LindseyBluth

LindseyBluth
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I didn't have any prior knowledge of the series - I didn't watch the miniseries in the 80's. I'm a Lostie, so I tuned in for Elizabeth Mitchell. I wasn't really getting into it for the first half of the episode, and the last half almost had too much stuff going on. They revealed so much (her partner was a V and that Ryan was a V rebel). I think they could have rolled all this info out a little slower - get to know the character for a couple episodes and then it would be shocking to find out that that person is a V. Maybe they just wanted a lot of shock value so people will get drawn in immediately. Well, it worked, because I will watch again next week to see where they go from here.

9. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm glad someone without any reference enjoyed the pilot, because I thought some of the concessions they made with the Visitors for the re-imagining took away from the alien-ness that distinguished them in the original series. The original Vs had voices that echoed, wore sunglasses constantly because their eyes were sensitive to sunlight, and
    never ate in front of humans.
    They also wore Nazi-inspired military uniforms and weren't all super-attractive (hello, Robert Englund), but the business suits and good looks are probably changes for the better. Still, having the Visitors already on Earth blending in seamlessly among the humans for years takes away a bit of the inevitable surprise regarding the Visitors true intent.

10. Drake

Drake
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

For the viewer, it does, for the characters on the show, it's gonna be a mind fuck. Think about BSG, with the infiltration of the Cylons into human society. In the preview it showed Erica looking at everyone in her office, wondering if they were a V. It's gonna be fun to see who is a V, my money is on the old priest.

11. Dufresne

Dufresne
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Similarly, I tuned in for Morena Baccarin. Nothing with her in it can ever be entirely bad. Shame they had to kill off Alan Tudyk, though. More Firefly: always a good decision.

Having never seen the original miniseries, I enjoyed it. It tried to cram too much into too short a time, but it laid the groundwork for what could be a really interesting series. Though I want to give the FBI agent's douchebag son a good foot to the face.

12. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This doesn't require spoiler tags since it was in the preview for the next episode: Tudyk will be back.

Although, it'll be interesting to see how exactly that will work. Did he simply survive the attack, or might there be more than one Visitor wearing the Tudyk skin?

Are there many copies? Do they look and feel human. Are some programmed to think they are human? AND DO THEY HAVE A PLAN?!?!?!

13. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm just hoping that Fillion will pop by (with or without ship) to lead the antiV skins in the war against colonization.

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never watched the earlier versions of the series but I didn't like the episode at all.

Love the premise of V's being responsible for the upheaval around the globe but they crammed waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into this episode. Plus the way everyone is already completely trusting is a little ridiculous and the fact that the FBI agent is just going to join some underground resistance movement at the drop of a hat is completely unbelievable.

I'll give it one more chance but the above in addition to the son's stupid smiling face makes me think I'll take a pass on this show.

15. fishysticks

fishysticks
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't think the FBI agent would have joined the resistance at all had she not witnessed what she did, I think it would be hard NOT to join the resistance after that.

I agree that they crammed way too much into one episode. It made my mind spin trying to keep up with everything going on. it did come together at the end but I still think they should have drawn out the exposition for at least another episode before going full throttle. And I hated when after they introduced the Vs it was instantly "3 weeks later..."

16. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Unfortunately, that's what tends to happen with pilot episodes. That was an hour long commercial to sell the series to a network, so it had to have enough to hook the decision makers and secure a deal to continue the story.

17. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Plus for some reason that's unfathomable to me, ABC has decided to air a 4 episode arc before pulling the show off air til March 2010. Go figure.

18. HoyaGoon

HoyaGoon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Rumor is that there are a bunch of problems with the subsequent episodes and ABC wasn't happy with the story arc and sent it back for major re-writes and is just using the winter Olympics as an excuse for why it's not coming back until March.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As someone who never even heard of the original series for this show, I mostly enjoyed the pilot. They did try to cram a little too much in, revealing that the aliens were reptiles underneath their human skin could have waited a couple episodes. Also, they could have postponed that there were some aliens willing to help the humans.

I think the show has a lot of promise to be entertaining. I just hope they don't overdo constant revealing of disguised aliens in subsequent episodes. It adds an interesting twist to the plot, but should be handled carefully. So far the only character that really annoyed me was the FBI agent's kid. I can just see it coming now;

"You have to stay away from the aliens. They're evil and they're just using you."

"No mom. You were never there for me! They related to me in ways you never could!"

Maybe we'll get really lucky and he'll kill himself or something when he finds out the aliens are just using him. Ok, enough rambling. I'm going to give the show a chance for the next three episodes.

20. fishysticks

fishysticks
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

from the previews and from watching the old series I think he might

knock up the young blond alien, which would be a little backwards since in the original a human got knocked up with an alien.. but still basically the same premise