Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You always think Clint is going to be too old, but I think he’s only become a better actor as he’s gotten older.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

James Gunn has just been signed on to write/produce Suicide Squad 2, and Bautista is going full-on "sign me up!"

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Wow. With Gunn signed in it will no doubt be better than the first. Because pretty much any movies is.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I tried re-watching it. Its just so terrible. They really did a shit job with the DCU. They tried to capitalize on the success of Marvel without laying the years of ground work that built up to the first Avengers. The only thing they seem to get right, at least so far, are the DC elseworlds films. The new Joker movie looks good and I love Joaquin Phoenix, so hopefully thats better that Leto's abortion.

Wishful thinking would be that Michael Keaton comes back for a Batman Beyond-style film. That would be amazing.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Him returning as The Vulture would be reward in itself. But Spidey already has sooooooo many bad guys in his stable.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Speaking of movies that can’t possibly suck as much as the original, here’s one that hired good actors this time around:

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aw come on, Herman Munster was in the original. I was glad to see the scalpel in the new trailer. The scene with the achilles heel slice steel gives me the heebie jeebies to this day.

8. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw this trailer today. I hope they delve more into some of the tangent stories that were in the book. Those were completely ignored the last time around.

Although, I will miss Herman Munster and his bad Maine accent.

Edit: Dammit, Rush beat me to it.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The original film had some real jolts, don’t get me wrong (Zelda). But considering King wrote the screenplay, I don’t know.... maybe he had contempt for his fans at the time? That movie has such a contempt for its audience it still blows me away. It’s like they were doing anything in their power to make people walk out early. And it was HUGE. The biggest horror movie in history until Scream.

Side note: who the fuck names their kid Gage and their cat Church? Those are the dumbest names ever. There has to be symbolism from King that I’m missing there.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

looks even more awesome now.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I remain completely baffled by DC. They looked at Marvel, saw that they were nearly 20 movies into their cinematic universe and had just introduced a 14 year old Spiderman, and decided that the way to create a long-lasting empire on the DC side was to open with Robin dead and Bruce Wayne already sick of being the Batman. Then they made the following decisions:
    1. Spend the "Death of Superman" plot in the second film in the DCEU.
    2. Make the "all your favorite villains in the rogues gallery team up for an offbeat squad" movie without having established any of the villains whatsoever.
    3. Make the "all the heroes team up" movie without establishing a full half of the heroes.
    Not to mention how shitty the villains have been in the movies they did make were. Zod was the only decent one, and that's more a credit to Michael Shannon being a legitimate psycho than anything else. Ares was the worst part of Wonder Woman, Doomsday was pure who-gives-a-fuck, Lex Luthor was hugely mishandled, and Steppenwolf was possibly the most forgettable villain I've ever seen.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Completely agree. I think the main problems was that Warner Bros. has far too much say in the films, instead of giving the directors a degree of creative freedom. Each one has a ton of last minute re-rewrites or re-shoots.

Plus they let Zack Snyder develop the foundation for the DCU and by the way, he said he doesn’t really like comics or superheros. BvS are supposed to be two sides of a coin, that was the entire point of their relationship in the comics. Instead they just made all the heros dark and brooding like Batman. That shit worked for Watchmen, because that’s what that world is about. It doesn’t apply to DCU.

Their stable of superheros are much more well known than Marvel and they still fucked it up. Ironman was never a top Marvel character in the comics, but they made it work. How do you fuck up Batman and Superman?

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the extended Aquaman trailer it doesn't look like it's getting any better for them.

14. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“Man Of Steel” was done exactly to par with Superman comics: it hammered you with action, death and destruction just like every issue did. Superman was no longer a pussy. It had a great villain. Chris Meloni was badass as a mortal soldier who feared nothing. I thought it was one of the best-ever comic movies.

...then, they decided to let Snyder do it all. Wonder Woman was the only thing I liked about BvsS, it was rushed and had no script whatsoever. Justice League had Sega Genesis-level visual effects, no ending, no reason to like the characters except for Flash.

Shazam! might save the DCU a little, hilariously, because it seems to be the closest film yet to resemble an MCU movie!

#1776 Crown Royal, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Odd string of events today . . . Toy Story 4 released a teaser trailer today, which started buzz . . . which was immediately dwarfed by Detective Pikachu trailer being released . . . which was immediately dwarfed by Stan Lee dying. All that said, I thought Pokémon was dying off, but it looks like this is going to make a jillion dollars.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The music in Suicide Squad was terrible enough.

“Let’s introduce each character with a song that’s been play ad nauseum for the past decade”

Sympathy for the Devil? Check

Spirit in the Sky? Check

I hate to use the term “formulaic” to describe superhero movies, as they’re pretty much all like that but Suicide Squad could’ve been a satire it was so cringe inducing bad.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I remember watching people walk out of the theatre for that movie, they looked like they were in there being told that they had just lost their 401k’s. It was just a simmering, almost-ready-to-blow rage amongst the majority of them. Geek culture heavily anticipated that movie, and they got let down to say the least.