Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I never read the book or knew anything about it so seeing the Delorean, Freddy Krueger and the Tron light cycle got a "WTF?" from me on the first pass.

2. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm just a little bit excited about a lot of things in this.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, Iron Giant and the van from the A-Team, that I saw.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New trailer for Ragnarok.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It's pretty much only something Spielberg or one of his apprentices (like Zemekis) could get away with.

Here's my thing: once people get the movie that has literally everything, what do you do after that? Reboot it?

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And the Willy Wonka theme overture.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was one thing I didn't like about the book. The sci-fi plus nostalgia vibe was cool. But, every now and then, instead of it being a plot point, like the 2112 song, he would just list off the names of video games or TV shows or something, just to get a bunch of references in there. I think you can do some of that with a movie, because there can be passive background things that are just part of the scene, so we'll see.

Cool. I didn't pick up on that.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else kind of pumped for Death Note? And could the casting of Willem Dafoe as a demon be any better?

Also the Avengers Infinity War trailer leaked online, looks awesome.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I can't get a good read on a movie, if it's worth seeing at the theatre, I pick several review sites that I trust, and kind of aggregate them in my head. I like adding the Common Sense Media parents' guide, because they don't include stuff like "visually groundbreaking!" or "a tour de force achievement from Tom Hanks" or whatever. For Atomic Blonde:
    "There's brief but repeated partial nudity, a man is shown in bed with three women, and two women have fairly graphic sex" should just be on the movie poster.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you haven't seen it, this is the updated trailer that is now running at theatres. More scary than the first one, I think.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well this looks terrible.

Is this a dark action thriller? A comedy? And Bruce Willis, who has been phoning it in for the better part of the 21st century. Plus, the original film with Bronson was meant to be a social commentary/pseudo-satire. Eli Roth is about as subtle as every single piece of shit he's churned out.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eli Roth wishes he was Quentin Tarantino. Here's hoping it's Fast and Furious, so bad it's awesome. Somehow I doubt Eli Roth can do that.

Bruce Willis might be in the same finacial straights Robert Deniro is in. Or he really doesn't give a fuck about the craft and is fine churning out dreck for modest pay days to add to his Mcduck Money bin.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The original Death Wish is audience manipulation at its absolute pinnacle. It's a timeless revenge thriller and brilliant social commentary. And Jeff Goldblum in his debut as the rapist who attack Bronson's family.

Eli Roth makes abrupt ripoffs of classic horror genres. The best thing he ever did was the fake "Thanksgiving" trailer for the double movie Grindhouse.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At the end of the trailer, the text read "Based on the 1974 film . . ." - maybe I've just missed it before, but don't remakes usually refer to the original source material? It seems like it's always either an updated version of whatever book / short story it was based on, or it'll be "based on the original screenplay by John Smith" or whatever.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wonder if the copyright has expired on the original work, and the movie still requires the mention?

Or maybe it's just so far removed from the original source material that it's only based loosely off of the movie?

I don't know...

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, I think this is it. Most of the time, the remake director will say, "Oh, this one is more true to the book." or "we went back to the source material, and it's a little darker, like the original work." But, in this case, it's like they put right there in the credits, "Yo, we are totally ripping off the first movie, because that was like 43 years ago, and we want some money."

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eli Roth wanting to be Quetin Tarantino. Tarantino makes genius film by making near shot for shot homages to past eras of film. This is them basically trying to push that as a marketing point for a very bad director.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Cant wait.

19. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This movie details the fight between Edison and Westinghouse for domination over the way America utilized electricity. Benedict Cumberbatch as Edison and Michael Shannon as Westinghouse. Nicholas Hoult plays Tesla.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Here is your Academy Award Winner for best picture 2018:

...hopefully this will trigger a second act of stardom for Willem Defoe that he so much deserves.