Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Neither of the trailers I've seen for Sherlock Holmes have thrilled me. I mean, if it was an action-adventure set in Victorian England with random protagonists, I think I'd be pretty interested. It's just that I don't really like the way they are portraying the characters. For one thing, I'm finding it very hard to see the characters - I feel like I'm watching Robert Downey, Jr, Jude Law, and Rachel McAdams in a Victorian action-adventure. Again, something I'd be pretty interested in, normally.

Rachel's Irene seems fine, but Holmes and Watson aren't behaving the way they behave in the books. Their personalities seem very different, as well as the general tone of the story. I'm not opposed to taking poetic license with literary characters, but part of the appeal of the story was how Sherlock was intense, mysterious, calculating, and always in control (except for his addiction to opium, which was all the more heartbreaking given his personality). The Holmes in this movie seems more fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants. And this Watson seems arrogant and cheeky - although I may be projecting about Jude Law, who always succeeds in looking smug no matter what character he plays.

I don't know, I haven't read the stories in years so maybe I've got it wrong. I do know that Rupert Everett played, to me, a very good Sherlock Holmes a few years ago.

2. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wrote on the old board that based on the trailer, they should just call it "Victorian England Adventure Film". It has absolutely nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes beyond the name of the characters. I mean, slapstick comedy, breasts/sex, ball shots/dick jokes, and epic battle scenes? There's nothing wrong with those, of course, but combining it with Sherlock Holmes is like combining Jane Austen with Zombies and Kung-Fu...only there doesn't seem to be any irony or humor about the whole thing.

They actually intend for it to be serious.

Focus-

I remember watching Red Dawn as a kid and thinking it was a stupid, lousy, sleep-inducing film. I re-watched it recently, and decided I was wrong...it's actually coma-inducing garbage.

The original was a relatively modest hit at the box office too, so why are they remaking this? Does anyone else get it?

Ditto for Red Sonja...although that was at least enjoyable as a trashy action film when I was 8, and there was nothing else on.

Who decided that re-making these random, third-rate 80's action films was a good idea? Artistically, they suck. Economically, the action genre is absolutely dead in Hollywood, and I would be shocked if both films didn't end up bombing horribly. It's perplexing to me.

Edit-

Just looked it up, and apparently, Red Sonja was a relative failure at the box office. So apparently, whoever greenlit the project did so not because of its built-in audience/fans, but because of its actual merits as a possible film? Seriously?

3. dangermouse

dangermouse
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone seen "Up in the Air" yet?

It features George Clooney, as a traveling consultant of some kind, that is never home. I work the same kind of job, and am very curious about this movie, as both of the trailers have really looked good (and hit home about the issues I deal with daily).

6. Pants

Pants
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

The book it's based off of was one of the funniest things I've ever read, but it'll definitely lose a lot on the big screen. Fingers crossed that it won't suck.

7. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

8. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Wait, I own this on DVD, are you telling me they're doing a remake?

http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Yan...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1261182290&sr=8-2 I

I want to see Alice in Wonderland

#68 Sicnevol, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Boy, did Sam Worthington ever hide the silver horshoe up his ass.

Normally, I'm not for remakes since they almost always suck (save King Kong and a few others) but the remake of Clash of the Titans looks just too fucking awesome to pass up:

#69 Crown Royal, Dec 21, 2009
  10. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe its Cera blowback, since he has been pretty loved in virtually all his roles, but I've noticed that all his roles tend to be the same. The man's affect never, ever seems to change. In the previews, he plays a regular Nick and an 'evil Nick.' I just don't get it.

I need to see Cera play something even remotely, slightly different before I start to take him seriously again. The sad little Charlie Brown Aw-shucks character that he plays in every movie is starting to turn into Will Ferrell and his "wacky *insert job here*" characters for me... just stale and repetitive.

I want to like him. I want to like his movies, I really do. It just bothers me, I don't know. Maybe I'm alone in that sentiment.

More on focus: I really do want to see "Up in the Air." It is the only movie this holiday season that looks like something I really want to watch. Otherwise, this whole season has been very 'meh' movie-wise.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

#72 Nettdata, Dec 22, 2009
  13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm on the fence about this one simply because I think Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was such an AWESOME fucking movie (aside from a very American Robin), so it may be too soon for another Robin Hood. I guess we'll find out:

#73 Crown Royal, Dec 22, 2009
  14. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't usually get too excited about movies. There are movies I look forward to seeing, sure, but not since the Lord of the Rings trilogy have I avidly counted down the days until a release. I can honestly say I'll be marking my calendar every day until Feb. 12, when I'll see a screening of North Face.

It's the story of Andreas Hinterstoisser and Toni Kurz, who in 1936 set out to become the first climbers to ascend the Eiger's north face. At the time it was considered the "last great problem" of the Alps, and climbers lovingly refer to it to this day as "The Death Wall" and "Murder Wall." It's a sheer vertical rock face more than a mile high.

Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that the north face wasn't first climbed until 1938. But the pair's -- especially Hinterstoisser's -- exploits on the wall will forever have a firm place in mountaineering lore.

#74 JGold, Dec 22, 2009
  15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The inevitable remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, with Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy Kreuger. Basically it looks like a big-budget ripoff of the original masterpiece, but we'll see:

#75 Crown Royal, Dec 27, 2009
  16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a bit annoyed that I have no desire to see Avatar simply because the blue aliens creep me out. I was watching a behind the scenes look at the movie, and the actress who plays the female alien is gorgeous. I'd pay to watch her read the phone book. But they kept replaying the scene where the guy pretending to be an alien flies that creature for the first time, and he and the girl smile at each other - I want to punch them both in their creepy fanged mouths.

17. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

18. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hate. Burning fucking HATE. That little piece of waste son of Will Smith's is the worst actor I have ever seen. He made Keaneu "Woh" Reeves look like the next incarnation of Johnny Depp in "The Day a Whole Bunch of People Made a Shitty Movie." (Might not be the exact title of the film in question, but I think it's close.) I seriously have to wonder what my childhood ever did to Hollywood earn all the desecration of it.

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a boy? What an adrodgyonus looking butt plug.

Ralph Macchio's career must be rolling in its grave.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

UPCOMING ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Back To The Future starring Shia LaBouf. Fuck off, die, burn in hell and STAY there. HOW FUCKING DARE YOU.

Hangover 2, due on May 26 2011. Never underestimate the power of corporate greed.

Zombieland 2: 3D. Could be awesome, but we'll see. Hopefully Bill Murray will turn up again.