Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Snyder Cut of Justice League is looking better and better. The promo image of Jared Leto’s Joker:

[​IMG]

He looks way better than whatever he was going for (Sid Vicious?) with the other version.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He was going for a terrible and obnoxious Jared Leto performance. And he NAILED IT.

I’ll believe the movie might be good when I see it, because I’ve seen the original and don’t know how millions in effects will make it suck less. Making Steppenwolf no longer look like a PS1 animation isn’t going to cover for how charmless and forgettable of a villain he was. It will take a miracle to turn it into a good movie, something Snyder usually isn’t capable of.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They should just stop making DCU movies and start over again in 5 years. They’re releasing this movie with a new cut but also rebooting Batman again next year with Robert Pattinson. Not to mention a new Wonder Woman movie in the current universe a few months ago, a standalone Joker movie last year, a spin-off of Suicide Squad that no one gave a shit about and an over-produced and over-acted TV show about Batman villains set in yet another universe. They tried to rush and capture the magic of the MCU and failed miserably.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The DCAU has some incredible gems: The Dark Knight Returns, Justice League Dark, Constantine: City of Angels. All well worth watching. They did a bunch of shorts as intros to certain characters that were phenomenal: Death, Catwoman, etc.

The DC cinematic universe is a series of sharts that no one seems to realize how to stop. Until they figure out that most of the DC properties work better as a TV show, with a rotating cast of villains, these films will continue to suck.

The main pantheon of DC heroes are fucking boring or overdone, the villains are the most fun and interesting characters, and yet the villains in the DC Universe have been Zod, Enchantress, Doomsday (sort of, not really, ugh, fuck), a truly awful Lex Luthor, Professor Quirril as the God of fucking WAR?, whatever the fuck happened in Aquaman, Kristen Wiig as Cheetah, etc. Even guys like Michael Shannon, Mark Strong, and Ewen MacGregor couldn't redeem some of this nonsense.

Honestly, of those films the most enjoyable has been Shazam because middle school was awful, and Aquaman because it answered the question: what if a redneck superhero was in an underwater Fast and the Furious movie?

I would piss glitter at watching the actual "Knightfall" storyline: someone hires Bane to fuck up Batman, Bane lets loose all the villains from Arkham, Batman runs himself ragged trying to catch them all, Robin gets fucked up by one of them, Batman goes down hard, someone else has to pick up the Batman suit and that person goes apeshit, so Batman has to heal, take back his mantle, and fuck up everyone in ways that only Batman can satisfyingly do. You just can't cram that into a 2.5 hour movie well.

I'm cautiously excited for Suicide Squad with James Gunn because of Guardians of the Galaxy, and because I've wondered "what would Avengers: Infinity War look like if everyone was on life-threateningly high doses of different drugs?"

Along those lines, the "Harley Quinn" animated show? Fucking excellent. Well worth it.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Isn't that essentially what The Dark Knight Rises is, with a few changes?

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It lifted some elements of the story, but fit them into the Nolan universe. Of the 3 films, that was the weakest and it didn't do the Knightfall tale justice, IMHO. They omitted so much it is pretty muhc just "Bane fucked Batman up". Lot more potential there.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would love to see a movie of DC’s Kingdom Come. Old and grizzled veteran actors, a fantastic story, as long as they don’t fuck it up.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I do like that they are bringing back Michael Keaton as Batman, allegedly. The best Batman by a mile.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Then they also need to bring him back as Vulture. The best MCU villain. Something has to be said for a villain that makes you legitimately root for him.

It’s all Keaton. He can pretty much do no wrong, even in crappy movies (Pacific Heights, Desperate Measures) he, alone, makes them worth watching. And he was robbed for Birdman.

#2210 Crown Royal, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Zack Snyder should be blamed for fucking up the DC universe. He made a justice league movie with practically no lead-in films and five members in a team nicknamed “The Seven”. Also, Batman v. Superman and Justice League suuuuuuuuuuuuucked as movies. They were as rushed as everything else for this universe.

It’s not like they didn’t have a plan like the MCU did. MCU focused their story loosely around the Infinity Gauntlet series. DCU’a plan was to start with Darkseid and end up with their version of the Infinity series called Zero Hour, which was just as dark and more shocking in its mortality rate (and had a crazy reveal of who the head villain was).

Snyder fucked ALL that up because he wanted to compete head to head with fucking Disney, and thought he was talented enough to do it. He was wrong.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Fuck you, Desperate Measures is good (even if with the ludicrous plot). And by "good," I mean like the way Waterworld or Super Mario Brothers: The Movie is good.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The main characters in both “Bad Lieutenant” movie committed less crimes than Andy Garcia does in two real-time hours.

Waterworld is just plain good. That’s a Hollywood popcorn movie at its zenith, the mid-90’s had so many.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Are you saying that the countless deaths of cops and hospital staff isn't worth an organ transplant for one kid that may or may not work?

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't see the first version, because I heard it sucked balls and I thought Batman v Superman was lame. But, was the original cut in square aspect ratio, too? Why is this one? This whole deal is confusing to me.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love me some Emma Stone. I hope this is good.

I also like that Disney is forging ahead, sticking with theatrical release for this and Black Widow . . . hopefully, that can happen, because it means it's safe to do so.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Disney doesn’t have the rights to Harley Quinn so they made their own version.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Imagine if they made their own..... story. One that doesn’t borrow from another source, or recycle the same thing over and over and OVER. Gravity Falls only gets two seasons but they continuously remake an animated film that wasn’t even that good to begin with?

You WILL see a live action Fantasia. Mark my words. Liam Neeson will play the Sorcerer because of course he fucking will.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Jesus. The director’s cut for Justice League will be four hours long. And R-Rated with a new Junkie XL score. A big expensive gamble on a home release.

#2219 Crown Royal, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And it's square.