Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Upcoming Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Diogenes The Cynic, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bob Odenkirk is starring in what looks to be an awesome action movie similar to John Wick.

I think it looks pretty badass considering he’s normally sort of dorky.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks pretty good although the “in theaters” part isn’t happening.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea it’s probably unlikely to do well in theaters unless the virus is nonexistent by then. Strict adherence to theater only releases hurt Christopher Nolan pretty badly with Tenet.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But it's Bob's Burger Odenkirk, so I'd watch it.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Looks like lots of fun. Odenkirk is always funny snd watchable, it’s hilarious his first major starring vehicle is a Hong Kong NeoNoir, it seems to nod both John Wick and RED heavily.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any idea if Tenet or Wonder Woman will be any good?

Trying to find something to watch on Christmas day with my sister, and she doesn't get a lot of time for movies, so I'd hate to miss.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw Tenet a few months ago. It was okay, had some interesting bits, but was mostly "meh."

Wonder Woman should be entertaining, but don't expect Academy Award acting. Just my two cents.

I'm guessing you're going to watch it in a theatre?

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, NO. HBO Max subscription to test it out. Tenet came out on the 15th and WW84 is supposed to be available the 25th.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure about your area, but in my area you can watch at home for around $20-22

And I could watch/listen to Gal Gadot read the dictionary and it'd be money well spent

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tenet was definitely Nolan's sloppiest work, but I enjoyed it. The criticisms of it are mostly valid though, especially the criticism of the sound mixing. Totally inexcusable, especially after Dunkirk literally won an Oscar for sound mixing.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The good news is watching at home you can turn on subtitles, right?

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah but subtitles are stupid. I shouldn't need a translator for a language I speak fluently.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good God, the HBO Max app on Roku blows.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Could you listen to her sing “Imagine”, though?

Now there’s a new extended version of the song that I wrote. I call it “Imagine Gal Godot Kicking A Palestinian Toddler In the Stomach”.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know that Nolan's whole opinion on it is that "the movie should be totally immersive, the Foley is as important as the dialogue," but when your movies involve such a large amount of exposition to understand the plot, and multiple actors with multiple accents...you could push those faders up just a bit, and I'd still be immersed, dude.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah it's a bit of a bullshit cop out. Foley is full of things that are either quiet or effectively silent in real life (unsheath a sword if you ever get a chance, scabbards are made of wood and leather, they don't give that metal-on-metal 'SHWING' you get in the movies). Which sounds to emphasize and which to de-emphasize is always an artistic choice, and you can't pretend like the artistic choice to make your dialogue incomprehensible is anything other than deliberate.

18. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed Tenet but it takes a lot of effort, it's Inception levels of mind fuckery. I've heard really good things about WW84.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked Tenet as an action movie. I agree with the criticism of the dialog levels, it was fucking impossible to hear in some areas, and I just gave up and figured any dialog I couldn't hear wasn't important enough to worry about.

Honestly, I think it the movie (and Nolan) felt like it was far more complex than it actually was. Inception definitely had more well-executed complexity. Tenet felt kind of lazy, and some of the more obvious logical problems really pulled me out of any investment in its depth. Like, sure:
    logically I can buy that people who are inverted can't breathe normal air, but it's just stupid to pretend that now everything that's hot becomes cold. May as well say that gravity doesn't apply and inverted people can float off the ground.

Once you start shoehorning this kind of stuff in for the purposes of plot or aesthetics, it's hard to take the core mechanics very seriously.

I enjoyed the movie as a pure action spectacle. It was just stuck up its own butt, and I don't think it should have been so impressed with itself.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what we understand, T-symmetry holds for all things except entropy (which I suppose is more a consequence of T-asymmetry than a cause, but whatever). So everything related to the directionality of time is a function of the directionality of entropy increase. So when it comes to heat transfer, increasing entropy dictates that heat dissipates, and flows from high concentration to low concentration. However, someone reversed would experience entropy increase in the opposite direction, meaning that an entropy increase in the "regular" world would represent an entropy decrease in theirs, aka heat flowing toward a concentration. The real question isn't why a reversed heat exchange cools things down, but rather why he wasn't on fire to begin with, and cooled down to his regular temperature as the explosion ran backwards.