Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Unsportsmanlike conduct

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Again, I hate to link to Cracked articles, but here's a complication of UFC videos highlighting terrible sportsmanship.

This thread should be obvious

Focus: What's the most unsportsmanlike conduct you have witnessed/read?

Alt. Focus: We like heartwarming stories too. Any examples/stories of someone going out of their way to be a good sport?

Bonus points for video, but please provide adequate warning of unpleasant sights (for those of us, like me, who are squeamish).

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

No scratching, biting, kicking, or unnecessary BUMPing.

3. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Me, at age 11, throwing a temper tantrum during a game of soccer. I freaked out because my team was losing so badly, picked up the ball, and ran off like a little bitch while yelling "It's my ball!".

Well, even though is really was my ball, I now understand why a couple of the kids I was playing with followed me home and stole the ball so they could keep playing.

Life lessons well learned.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Timely since the softball team I am on just got into a fight this past weekend. We didn't have enough regular team members there so we recruited a guy that is friends with a bunch of people on the team to catch for us. He's been up the entire night before with out sleep drinking his ass off. He didn't know the rules that there was no trash talking allowed with the ball is being pitched. The ump should have warned him (which had happened to be the week before when I was catcher and talking to the batter) but it went on for 5 innings unabated. A player from their team got fed up and came off the bench to confront him. Our catcher told the guy to fuck off and was immediately head butted by the player. This started a fight and we all ran up to separate/fight off the other team. We had the two separated for a minute and the catcher kept yelling bullshit because he was head butted. The other player broke free and charged him again setting off another brawl where a couple more guys were fighting and wrestling. They were ejected and banned from our two teams next meeting. Truthfully the guy on our team was talking some vicious shit but the ump should have warned him in the first inning and the other player shouldnt have started the physical violence.

It was the first fight anybody could remember in league history.

5. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think my biggest offence woul be hockey at about age 12 or 13. We were playing a close game with a short bench aginst one of the best teams. It was a tie game and the goalie got out of position and I had a clean shot for the go ahead goal.....their player jumped on the puck in the crease. This should be a penalty shot, the 15 year old (poor bastard) ref made no call other than to whistle the play down. My response? I litterally did a double elbow tap then jumped and elbow droped the kid in the back. (I know asshole move....yet funny looking back). I argued with the ref for my penalty shot until my coach trying to not break down laughing asked me to please just go to the penalty box. At least I did the proper double tap....

Worst I ever took was a full speed on ice kick to the knee in provicials with no call. Knee swelled up like a balloon, shitty for a 16 year old and I still have a gross amount of cartilage out of place.

6. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Up until college I played soccer on a pretty high level team so we have tons of stories or stupid stuff we did during games to screw with guys on other teams. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most was when we were about 14 or 15.
    We were playing a team we had a pretty heated rivalry with and things were getting pretty intense when a player on the other team went to kick a ball and missed intentionally and kicked our player (we'll call him Z) in the shin. The ref didn't call anything so on the next play someone passed the ball to Z in the air and he chested it up and then "attempted" to bicycle kick the ball and kicked that same player in the jaw. Needless to say Z got red carded and suspended for a game I believe. At the time it didn't go over too well, but looking back and knowing that the kid was fine it's pretty funny, at least to me.

7. PeaMan

PeaMan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rugby tournament when I was about 14. We were playing our rivals and I watched someone go down and feign injury to run the time down. It wasn't even like he got tackled and just stayed down. He looked to the sideline - I'm guessing one of the loudmouth dumbfuck parents or coaches gave him a signal and he just went down holding his leg like an Italian football player. They ended up just winning that game. Fuck him and fuck that team.

The next year we beat them in 3 tournaments in 3 consecutive weeks. That was so sweet.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A couple of years back I was at an interstate martial arts tournament that ran everything from kids doing kata to heavyweight MMA fights. I was supposed to be competing in a few things as well as refereeing, but I came down sick the night before and decided it would be better to just stick to reffing.

At one stage I was corner judging Intermediate Male Teens Point Sparring (U17). A friend of mine, Chris, was running the mat. Because of state regulations, being kids, so on and so forth full contact isn't allowed, but the competitors do wear protective padding consisting of at least cup, mouthguard, headguard and gloves. Most tournaments consider a touch to be enough for a point. This one didn't; it had to be definite contact not at full extension. In other words, if you didn't pull it it had to be capable of doing damage.

These tournaments are open to any style (which pisses you off when you go all day in various things and the BJJ guys roll in completely fresh just to do the grappling, but I digress), and a lot of the karate styles aren't used to contact rules we use. We go to extremes to explain them, but a sport karate guy who is used to just touching to get points still tends to get frustrated when they get no points.

In the final, it was a karate guy versus a kempo guy. The kempo guy was used to full contact, and he was laying his attacks in too much; so we kept pulling him up. The karate guy wasn't doing enough and getting frustrated and making little comments under his breath about not getting points. This is a big no no. Eventually, the kempo guy lays one too many in and we disqualify him meaning the karate guy wins.

When we're presenting the trophies, karate guy makes a comment to Chris. I don't know what it was exactly, but it was something along the lines of saying he's a completely useless referee and questioning his parentage. Chris promptly tells him to get off his mat (head ref's rules), but allows him to keep the trophy. The kids parents immediately come barrelling on to the mat and get in Chris's face. This is a very bad move. First, Chris is an ex army drill instructor with a short fuse and a ton more dangerous than he looks. Second, you don't come on a mat without an invitation, and you especially don't come wearing shoes (which, apart from the rudeness, can damage the expensive foam squares). Third, he's now surrounded by myself, Chris and the other corner ref. All of us are experienced fighters and black belt level or higher. It kind of goes a little quiet and a bit tense.

Our arbiter runs over to find out what's going on. He's more dangerous and has a shorter temper than all three of us combined. He listens to a short summary of what's happened, from both sides, sees the kid with the winner's trophy and the parents scuffing up his mats. He politely informs them that if they don't get the fuck out of the venue immediately, he will throw them out, and any application they send to take part in his tournaments again will be rejected. They very promptly comply.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

both the dispaportionate revenge (first) and the act that inspired it. I'm not sure if the commentary explains because I have no audio at work

#9 rei, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Alt Focus. I think this won an ESPY last year or something.

I still can't figure out why they interviewed Gary Busey on this.

#10 Nick, Sep 10, 2010
  11. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Armando Galarraga.

12. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Don't feel like opening this can of worms again, but:

Yeah. Fuck that guy.

#12 Pato, Sep 10, 2010
  13. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Pretty much any instance involving a soccer mom or hockey dad.

14. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who knew women's soccer could get so violent?

#14 Gravitas, Sep 10, 2010
  15. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now known as the punch, Kermit Washington effectively fucked up two careers with one swing when he jacked Rudy T back in the 70's.

#15 Nitwit, Sep 10, 2010
  16. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a minor league hockey game I once threw my gloves at the referee for not making a tripping call. Fucking blind assholes.

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet:

I came home from work while it was happening, and because our television was kiddie-corner to the door, I could hear what was going on but not see it. I thought I was listening to a hockey fight, which confused me because the Stanley Cup had wound up a few weeks before. Then my dad told me it was a basketball game...and it remains to this day the most unsportsmanlike thing I've ever seen. I didn't hear too much about it after it happened - the lawyers, I'm guessing, had a field day with this one.

#17 Dcc001, Sep 10, 2010
  18. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And I can't believe that the person who was the primary reason for that fight, Ron Artest, is now a government approved mental-health spokesman. He also is going to auction off his championship ring, without ever wearing it, and use the proceeds to have more mental health professionals in schools.
    Link

19. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yea I was there for that.

#19 Durej, Sep 10, 2010
  20. ec88

ec88
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Alt. Focus This sort of fits in with this thread. Great video if you have the time to watch it.

#20 ec88, Sep 10, 2010