Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

United States of Tara Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by dubyu tee eff, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

This thread only had about 5-6 participants last season but we did have discussions about what was a somewhat mediocre season. I still give enough of a shit to watch season 3 though. The first episode has already aired for those who aren't aware. Anyone else planning on watching?

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eddie Izzard. Sold. This season will already be better than last season.

Mostly, I'm happy to see Kate's sweet little ass again. When the interviewer pulled up that video of her sitting on the cake, I laughed my ass off.

Charmaigne is already annoying me to no end. Poor Patton Oswalt, having to play opposite that shrew of a character.

3. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm also really excited for Eddie Izzard. It seems like he's going to play off Toni Collette really well.

Is anyone else hoping they eventually go see their brother? That was one of the new things from last season I gt excited about.

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

They have to. They brought it up in the first episode. I don't think they would have if they didn't plan on including it in the plot in some way or another.

5. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whoa. What?! This show is back on again?!?!

OK, pre-season thoughts:

1. End of last season, it came out that Tara's brother had molested her when she was a child. It is thought that D.I.D. is oftentimes related to repressing memories of childhood sexual abuse. Perhaps this is the season that Tara actually deals with her root issue and reintegrates her personalities?

2. The alters. Alice insinuated that she's been keeping some alters under wraps for a while...true? Untrue? Are there more alters waiting to emerge? I think Shoshanna is going to be a useful tool this season also.

3. Charmaine. Leaving aside the weird "secrets" thing between her & Tara that was never really addressed last season, I think we all want to know...will she continue to be a cunt this season? Take the entitlement stick out of her bony ass and actually be a decent human being? Sadly, I think I know the answer to this.

Can't wait to watch it, y'all.

6. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems clear they're going to deal with the brother, as Buck went to visit him as one of the first scenes of the season. I think it will reveal the source of her DID, but will in no way resolve it.

I may have to rewatch S2 for what you're saying, didn't know Alice was mother hen-ing some of the alters, but if there are more, that's just more chance for Toni Collette to shine, and I'm all for it.

The only way Charmaine will ever stop being an entitled bitch pain in the ass is if she dies. Fuck that cunt. Like I said earlier, the actress herself may be a sweetheart, but I feel sorry for Patton Oswald having to play foil for such a piece of shit character.

Will Kate find a job despite costumed cake-sitting? Will Lionel (I think that's his name) ever become less of an awful gay-kid stereotype (I love our little camera baby. We'll name him Orlando)? Will John Corbett's wonderfully suppressed rage at his wife ever come to a meaningful fruition?

I fucking love this show, and how superbly well it's acted by all people involved. The fact that I hate Charmaine so much means that that actress has done a magnificent job.

And as always, I'd like to see Kate with less clothes. She's a tasty little treat.

7. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Well, Charmain certainly wasted no time in bringing out her inner cunt.

This story with Tara and the psychology professor has a lot of potential, I think. Here's a guy who's presumably spent his whole life in the ivory tower, but is likely a highly respected academic with influential views on the subject of DID. He's being forced to confront the "real world" as harshly as possible in the form of Tara. I can't wait to see some of their discussions/arguments.

The storyline of the husband selling the business seems sort of pointless at this point aside from raising more issues for Neal and Charmain. I want to see how this influences Tara(it better).

I like the direction Marshall's life is going, it's making for a very interesting story. His brief conversation in his room with his boyfriend was excellent, I thought. He really showed his intelligence and maturity when he said "I don't see them as mutually exclusive." Kate is right, he is the glue.

8. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, just caught up with the rest of the show thus far. And...wow.

-Her professor is a dick. Does she not see the huge fucking set-up here? He's going to study her and then claim that a) she's an elaborate faker, or b) she was misdiagnosed and has another mental illness altogether. He's already admitted to being in this for the chance to sell books, and he's proven himself to be a massive penishead. Just take the F and move forward.

-Sweet Marshall just dumped his Spike-lookalike boyfriend?! What?! I do like this new young man, though. He's cute and less confrontational. Was this all a result of the awkward threesome?

-Charmaine...still a cunt. She pushed Tara into transitioning, then punished her for it. Classic.

-The contract with her alters...I don't buy it. Sure, I think some of the more "reasonable" alters will abide by it (Alice, Shoshanna, Buck) for a while, but I don't expect it to hold up in a crisis situation. Also, what was that whole conversation in the kitchen between Alice and Tara? Was Tara "present" for the entirety of Alice's takeover? Why not just force her way back into control if that's the case? This is getting too nuanced for my understanding.

-Did they just drop the molestation storyline?

And, I hate to be a bitch about this, but...is Kate allergic to her makeup this season or something? Her face looks...well, like it doesn't much like the new brand of makeup it's wearing and has decided to breakout and swell slightly in retaliation. Or maybe I'm just finally experiencing the wonders of HD.

9. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

I guess this is a little bit of a side note but I really can't stand how professors are portrayed in every tv show/movie ever. While I'm enjoying the character's interactions with Tara thus far and think it has a whole lot of potential, why do they always have to portray them as eccentric, english douchebags? This dynamic could go in several different interesting directions but I really hope they don't choose the tired "ivory tower vs. real world" route. It would be such a waste.

I really like how things are playing out between Tara and Max. You can feel the tension in their marriage slowly building and I wouldn't be surprised to see Max maybe walk away at some point in the season. A combination of frustration with his job and his home life would be enough to make anyone want to walk away, even Saint Max.

I really like this contract angle and while I also doubt it will work, I'm excited to see what happens when an alter breaks the rules. What are the punishments? What are the rewards? I think they will tie all this in to the molestation story. It seems too strange to bring it up as the first scene in the season and then not mention it again.

I would love it if they showed even a little bit of the scene of Tara writing her contract with the alters in "real life". I realize that seeing it from the point of view of her delusions and then suddenly panning out to see what has actually been going on was quite powerful, but it also really makes me wish what that looked like outside of her mind.

I don't care about Marshall's love triangle. I also don't care about how stupid Kate is. Both of these storylines seem like filler so the two have something to do. At least Charmaine/Neal interact with Tara and contribute to the main plot. I don't see how a love triangle and a stewardess will tie in in a significant way to the rest of the story.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone still watching? I fell behind for a few weeks because I lost my laptop. I just got it back and caught up and am loving what is going on. It feels a bit rushed but the show is keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Also, it turns out the show will not be renewed for a 4th season, so it looks like they will be wrapping everything up by the end of the season. Unfortunate.