Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

United States of Tara Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by dubyu tee eff, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to go ahead and make a guess: Something happened to Tara while she was wearing her orangey red poncho (the one her mother obviously bought as a set so she and Charmaine could match....totally lame). That's why the primitive alter is fierce and often wields weapons (knives) and uses child-like methods of rebellion as expression (pissing). It's a manifestation of Tara's inability to protect herself at that time.

Hand me my psych degree now, Diablo Cody.

But this therapist thing is hilarious. I think Max should just let her run with it--unlike her other alters, I think the therapist could actually do some good in uniting some of her personalities.

2. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're right, I didn't even notice that. I keep forgetting Tara isn't the younger sister. I caught the Alice thing too though.

I'll be interested to see if the trauma had something to do with a death. Tara seems pretty skeeved being in Hubbard's house, and if that's where memories are getting triggered and her new alter emerged, maybe there is a connection?

3. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Damn, why the hell would they give away a twist that big??

I love this little detective game they are giving us now. I'm inclined to think Alice is similar to her mother and Gimme is a toddler version of herself. I would love to see a little bit more from that flashback. I still can't begin to imagine what would create Buck.

By the way, I think it is interesting to note that so far we have only had exposure to Buck, and a second or two of the new Therapist alter. While I was bored at first, I certainly am not now. This shows that the show has quickly gone beyond the shock value of the alters personalities and managed to create a truly compelling story. Well done, Diablo Cody.

4. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kate in tiny little boy shorts and skin tight gold hotpants. Thank you, USoT.

So, Char's baby is gonna be squatty and funny. I always kinda feel bad for people like her that can't help but get in their own way.

5. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

I can't really complain about the past few episodes; the last one was especially interesting. I really like this new thing they are doing where they show two different Tara's. Though it does conflict a little with how Tara sometimes can't remember what she did while at the same time she I believe once claimed that she could see what the alters were doing but only watch in horror(someone know if I remember this right?). However, I miss T and Alice and hope they make an appearance soon.

Also, I still don't care about Marshall's, Kate's, or Charmain's storylines. I don't know how, if at all, these will tie in to the main plot.

6. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a new development in her DID, this being able to talk with her alters. Especially the last part of the episode, I think she is more comfortable with her Shoshana personality, so she isn't as horrified when she takes over. It's letting her be more lucid and observational, which will probably mean some interesting things between Tara and Max.

Charmaine is a shallow idiot. "I want my wedding pictures with Nick but I want Neil?" Okay, so you want people to think you can snag a hot rich lawyer, but you actually aren't in love with him and love a different, and equally respectable, man. She deserves whatever is coming to her.

7. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck that bitch. Fuck her in her shallow & stupid asshole. I can't even rationally discuss what she's doing right now because it makes me so angry. Either sack up and marry Nick to satisfy your shallow craving for material wealth/props from strangers on snagging a hot husband, or follow your heart and marry the slightly chubby but totally adorable Neil. Pick ONE, stick to the plan. You can't have both and whining about not getting both is FUCKING ANNOYING.

Honestly, I would rather watch Marshall felching his new gay BFF than Charmaine doing anything at this point. Just have Gimme knife her in her sleep and be done with it.

Anyhow. Shoshanna. I think she's a good development--I suspected that Tara may have an inner "answer" to all of her problems but I didn't think that it would present as a therapist-y alter. But whatever, I like her. And the flashbacks are so illuminating...for example, the existence of someone named "Mimi" in Tara's past. Can't wait for the explanation.

8. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

I think this also gives the writers a great avenue to explore some heavy philosophical issues. Tara's treatment has revolved around trying to get rid of her alters so her "real" personality of Tara can dominate. However, who is to say those other personalities don't deserve every right to "live" as she does? What makes Tara the real her? Can taking steps to eliminate the alters be considered murder? Interesting stuff to mentally grapple with. It makes me wish this was a regular show with an order of 20 or so episodes. There are just so many interesting avenues to pursue that 13 episodes just isn't enough to do justice to them all.

Also, I can't wait for Charmain's life to completely blow up when it is inevitably revealed that the baby is Neil's.

9. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was thinking about that because she made a reference to Sybil. I mean granted, it's the most prominent Hollywood answer to DID, but the point of the movie was getting all the alters to coexist peacefully within one body. Maybe they're shooting for something similar?

Although to be honest, I'll be curious as to where Buck fits into anything.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

God damn these assholes. Every episode seems to raise more questions than it answers. The entire scene in the basement was very compelling but all it does it raise more questions. What's the deal with Charmaine and basements? Why did being in the basement make Tara transition the way she did in her meeting with Trip? What the fuck was that growl? Gimme? I doubt they would make such a big deal out of it unless it tied in some major way. Where the fuck is Tara going? Who the fuck is she as she is walking away? Fuck. There better be some fucking answers next episode.

One thing I didn't get, Tara says to Shoshana that she is more cognizant when Shoshana takes control. Doesn't this imply that Shoshana existed before too? But didn't Tara just learn about Shoshana when the neighbors gave her that book? They also did say that Tara is very good at being Shoshana, so she had to have met her at some point right?

Also, the looks on the neighbors' facs when Tara was transitioning like mad was hilarious.

11. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Son of a biscuit, what has Tara been up to with the neighbor?

I like this direction of Kate turning into a web prostitute. I'm betting Linda is going to be super pissed off about that one.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hah, yeah. When that other convention chick was describing her gig, I was like... Ok, so you're a camgirl with a theme.

So, a neighbor of Tara's, maybe Hubbard(?) molested her and Charm when they were little? That's what I'm getting from the faint clues so far.

13. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

See I thought about the sexual molestation thing too, but we've never seen any sort of "deviant" sexual tendencies, nor any sexual apprehensions from Tara. She seems pretty typical in that respect. Have they ever mentioned how long the family has lived in the house they are in in the series?

I'm glad the kids' storylines are beginning to connect with Tara's. I'm interested to see what happens when Tara starts painting again as they sort of left that whole aspect of her life hanging for a while

It was also nice to see Neil give Charmain a little of what she needs to hear, and even better when Marshall aired out all his laundry on the whole family. He is clearly "the smart one" and the repercussions of everything he said should be really interesting to watch. So far, even with all the problems, the family has been a happy one, but now who knows.

And god damn Alice is fucking scary.

14. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just can't see it being so simple as sexual molestation given the extent of Tara's DID. Plus, keep in mind, whatever happened had to have either solely to Tara or solely to Charmaine under Tara's care. I don't think it would have happened to both of them, or there would be more hints at Charmaine being messed up as well. As it stands, she's just your run-of-the-mill insecure whoreface.

I'm thinking something happened to Charmaine while she was under Tara's care, hence the missing poncho, and Tara has blamed herself about it.

I'm hoping when Tara starts painting, she'll give some more clues in her pictures as to what happened.

Oh and did anyone else catch the look on Tara's face when Linda was fondling Kate's wig-hair? Is she thinking Linda has designs on her daughter?

15. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, yes, you have. T is sexually promiscuous in a decidedly unhealthy way, and Buck's attraction to women is definitely "deviant" if you consider that the host body, Tara, identifies as strictly heterosexual. One can even argue the point that Alice is a lifestyle submissive. I don't think that Gimme has a sex life, but if it did...wouldn't it involve either non-consensual sex and/or knives? Shoshanna might be the only personality that would be "normal" with regards to sexual likes and dislikes. All of those personalities are inside of Tara, therefore they are all a part of her. Tara, then, has many deviant sexual tendencies.

But yes, Alice is fucking scary. I thought I liked her the best, ignorantly thinking that she was predictable. WHOA.

Here are all of my questions:

1. This "pact" that Shoshanna brought up in front of everyone in the basement? What was it?

-Possibly it was some childhood pact to "never tell, pinky promise" and Charmaine is actually the key to figuring out what happened to Tara? Perhaps she witnessed whatever it was that caused the spilt in personality?

2. Why is Tara painting pictures of Mr. Hubbard? Why did she make her way to his grave (actually, since SHE doesn't remember doing it, which alter was it?) and sleep there?

-Is it a symbolic thing? He killed himself, and some part of Tara feels a deep empathy for someone who experiences a total loss of self? Is she mourning the loss of Hubbard, or does something about suicide/killing of self remind her of something more important?

3. Alice is obviously blaming John Corbett for the meds and tossing her clothes. Why didn't Buck?

I'm ready for some answers. Or, if not answers, another alter.

16. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have trouble with using a scientific/medical/real life frame of mind to analyze this show. The writers, at some point, will have to start weaving a at least a little bit to make this a story as opposed to a case study, and because DID is such a rare, bizarre disease, they have a lot of room to maneuver.

So, there's nothing to say that Tara's/her alter's lack of/extreme promiscuity actually means anything more than that's the way that character has been written. The show does not have to progress in any specific way, except for a way that makes it entertaining to watch. Remember that this is a fictional TV show, not a case study, and these are at best[/i] two dimensional characters. I say this, because ever more frequently I find people are relating very heavily with fictional characters to their own detriment; I'm sure this is not true for any of you lovely people, but the language that some of you have been using to talk about the show is a little troubling.

Anyway, yes, I definitely would like to see some answers to PinkCup's questions. I'd also like to see way more of Patton Oswalt, considering that except for Toni Collette, he's the best actor on the show, especially in that sort of part.

17. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Clearly someone has been reading the last psychiatrist. What's the fun in a show if you can't speculate and analyze? Otherwise there is nothing to talk about. Don't worry, doc, we got things under control.

18. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uh, okay. I'm not sure who would be relating to someone who literally has different personalities. In fact, I think it's covered quite a bit in the show when people try to relate to Tara and she implies they have no idea what she goes through.

I am pretty sure all that's been going on in this thread is a few people imagining the writers are logical and relatively intelligent and so will use other case studies to develop Tara's character. They've already made a reference to Sybil, who is the most prominent real case study for DID, so it seems like they have been doing at least a little research. That said, it's pretty fun to speculate on a show when you can imagine the writers aren't completely out of touch with reality and so will progress in a logical and interesting manner. That's why it's not fun to speculate about Heroes, but this show seems to be doing okay with lending itself to conversation.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, so... Something may have happened to Tara in July of 76? That flag, the house with the cobbled exterior, aversion to fireworks...

20. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was imagining they reminded her of gunshots.

I love the look on Kate's face when she realizes she is basically a prostitute. It's nice to see the quasi-idyllic life of Season 1 bursting open at the seams.