Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TV Gossip and News

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Piss me off.

BBC started up a SciFi show called Outcasts, and while it kind of started a bit slowly, I got sucked in and really enjoy it.

Just watched the 8th and final episode of the season, and it turned out to be a fairly well done cliff-hanger.

Then I hear that as of a couple days ago the BBC has cancelled the series.

Fuckers.

2. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

3. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I didn't know she'd died until I watched yesterday's episode and googled her name (dumbass that I am). I've only been into Doctor Who since the revival six years ago, but I've been aware of it pretty much my whole life; having watched Sesame Street/The Electric Company during the Tom Baker era, I think I picked up the name of the show on PBS back then. Every time the subject has come up since I've been a kid, I had at least heard of the show.

I enjoyed Sladen's parts in the newer episodes; she was too young to go. Some companions (and Doctors) are still kickin', though:
    [​IMG]

4. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/9043446/Elementary-the-company-behind-the-BBCs-Sherlock-to-sue-CBS-over-new-version-of-Sherlock-Holmes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... olmes.html</a>

CBS are producing a show called 'Elementary'. A modern day retelling of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Which is totally not infringing on Sherlock (produced by Elementary), a run away hit produced by the BBC dealing with a modern day retelling of Sherlock Holmes. Despite the fact that they were recently in talks with Elementary (the company that produced Sherlock) about producing an Americanized version of Sherlock. But for reals for reals, we're not stealing your IP. You should believe us and vote for ACTA and PIPA immediately. Because we're honest businesses serving artists and not tax dodging jerks at all!

Also, I just got an email from CBS inviting me to stop torrenting their shows and watch their shitty quality advertising laden (I'm assuming based on reviewer reports) online versions instead. Which I can't, because they're geo-locked to Americans only. And they won't fucking release content to the rest of the world in a timely fucking fashion. Given their ethics around not ripping off other people's IP themselves, I totally want to respect their rights and will immediately stop all my torrents.

Also, why the fuck does Sherlock need an Americanizing anyway? The character is intensely British. The story is integrally associated with London. The British version is fucking awesome. Will there be a follow up of an Americanized version of 'The King's Speech' or 'The Queen' next? Fuck off and come up with a new idea you cocks.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Listen, they're keeping it true to the roots:

Lucy Liu to play Watson!

6. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

a Boy Meets World spin-off is apparently in the works:

<a class="postlink" href="http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/11/05/boy-meets-world-spinoff-disney-ben-savage-danielle-fishel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/11/05/boy-m ... le-fishel/</a>

7. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I was told I looked like that Topanga chick when that show was on....

Ughhh

8. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would watch a spin off. I mean my kids could watch the spin off. (Shut up 4 year olds would enjoy it!)

So Mya your complaint is that you were likened to a person who was only beaten by Kelly kapowski in the hotness factor at the time? It is a hard life you lead ma'am.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/25711/18-new-geek-us-tv-shows-to-get-excited-about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/25711/18-ne ... ited-about</a>

Some of this looks pretty cool.

10. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This has got to be the only thread that has posts from 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 on the same page.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't pay attention to the fact that I was replying conversationally in the rant and rave thread, so reposting it here in case anyone else wants to commiserate.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first 3 seasons were genius. The 4th season was terrible. This 5th and last season was a somewhat funny caricature of itself. It's time to let go.

Big Bang, meanwhile, is a consistent, moderately funny show with characters that are easy and comfortable for the general public to identify with.

Both of these things make complete business sense, even if they're not very artistically satisfying

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting a reboot. It's not a sure thing, but given that the show still has a massive fan base, and there's been a lot of progress towards making this happen I'd say the chances are pretty good.

The original is one of the best shows ever made. It's a show you really have to get into. If you watch one episode you'll walk away wondering what all the buzz is about. In addition, the first season is far, far worse than the subsequent seasons 2-7 that made it the iconic show it's remembered as today.

Socially progressive ideas were a big part of the show, but it's important to remember this is back when social progressives, were, well, a lot smarter than they are today. Buffy wasn't the first female protagonist of a tv show, but she was the first that dealt with real female issues in a way that was authentic, even if they're often explored through monster metaphors. The female characters that came before are either cheesy (read: fake) leave it to beaver nice girl types, or tits on a stick there for the audience to ogle. The show did episodes that were entirely silent, musicals, and dream episodes more hilarious and bizarre than any before or since. You never knew what it was going to throw at you next week. It really was one of the most groundbreaking shows of all time.

If they stay true to the original tone of the series while giving it the necessary modernization this is going to be amazing. If they do what the article suggested it's fucked.

Yeah, that's not what growing up as an American woman is about, and it sure as fuck isn't in touch with what the series was created for. It's not a circle jerk about the 'right' and 'wrong' kind of people. Completely the opposite, in fact. If you've seen the show you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm cautiously optimistic. This has been somewhat of a golden age of television, and this really has a lot of potential if they can assemble the right talent.

Edit: To clarify it's not actually a reboot. It's a sequel to the original show.

#33 Kampf Trinker, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m about half way through this book. It’s one of King’s best in years.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After a brief 25 year hiatus (with a few brief reunions in between) Kids In The Hall: Season 6 is coming to Amazon in 2020. An eight-episode season, my favourite Canadian show of all time. I’m not expecting for the magic to return as it was, but I absolutely LOVED this show and haven’t looked this forward to a show in a while.

No bullshit re-castings or “reboots”, this is a continuation of the original show from 1995. Although they aren’t kids anymore, Scott Thompson is 62.

#36 Crown Royal, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher