Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Turn Around Bright Eyes (The Eclipse Thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rush-O-Matic, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The little pinhole leaf thing is the only other thing I saw. It was cool but not as crazy as some of the other stuff. I now wish I really had just sacked up and driven down to the 100% area.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The still pictures of Trump taking a peek a the eclipse are hilarious. The video shows that he just peeked up, and then properly looked at it with the glasses. But, the video is funny too, because when he peeks up, you can hear somebody say, "Don't look at it!" Anyway, was OBJ just trolling, or did he really stare at the eclipse for that long? Because, I'm pretty sure his career is going to be dependent on him not being blind.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/odell-beckham-jr-look-at-sun-solar-eclipse-video-nfl-giants

3. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

The trump pics are hilarious. You can't make this up.

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Coolest celestial thing I've seen? The milky way on a perfectly clear night out in the middle of the mountains. Everyone should see that. The eclipse more rare sure but star gazing in the mountains outside the light polution, half drunk, and chilling look at that, is something everyone should experience.

Moon moving in front of the sun just so, spending time stargazing seeing light thats millions of years old by the time it hits your eye, little cooler.

#84 toddamus, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit just going 30 minutes deep into the country and you see 5 times as many stars. I once saw a meteorite that looked as big as the size of a dime in the sky. Red in color I saw it tumble and break up.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Get a cheap telescope. Check out the Orion Nebula, in the centre of the lower half of his body. It is mesmerizing.

But it's also a con. You see: the earth is flat, the moon is a magical nightlight provided by the One Creator, and stars are 100 miles away.

7. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What I remember from today:
    -weird reddish tint in the air noticeable once the sun is about half covered
    -fucking clouds right before totality damnit
    -the halo of the corona (you know what it looks like from photos but it's still pretty trippy in person!)
    -360 degree sunrise
    -the "diamond ring" after totality (I didn't get a good view of the "Bailey's beads" thing)
    -SHADOW SNAKES! You are told they're gonna happen, but it really is a mind fuck.

I am really glad I got to see it. And I'm already set on seeing the next one in 2024, which is gonna last four minutes. And in 2045 it'll be almost the same path and be six minutes. I think it's amazing that we can use geometry and math and know this shit years in advance.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best shot I could manage, from my job in northern CT. Basically putting my eclipse glasses over the cellphone lens, very technical.

Attached Files:

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Coolest celestial event I've ever experienced was about 10 years ago. It was in November, at our hunt camp in mid-Ontario, cold, clear skies, and the Northern Lights were insane. Never seen them that far South before, but it was like there was a huge bowl inverted over us, and they just danced from horizon to horizon. It was absolutely insane just how fluid and fast they were, and they were so intensely bright you could almost read a book by them. They lasted for about an hour, and then we all went back inside the cabin, wide-eyed, amazed, and humbled. Then we started drinking again.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Coolest picture I've seen yet of the eclipse:

[​IMG]

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, I forgot - we did see Venus, starting at around half way through the first coverage.

I will add that seeing the Milky Way from the country is beautiful. You don't realize how many stars are out there until you get away from light pollution.
    I always wondered how people ever thought certain constellations resembled anything. But with no modern lights you can see how all the stars would flesh out the idea. You're literally able to look up and see an arm of the Galaxy we are in. It's beautiful.

I also got the chance to see a few comets when I was younger. They're cool, but just some glowing smudges in the sky for the most part.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those solar "series" images are neat, but my complaint with them is that they're basically individual photos of the sun photoshopped into the image. They're no more "real" than if I pasted the eclipse shots into any pretty landscape photo. The solar filter eliminates any ambient light whatsoever, and during totality it's too dark, so there's no situation where the scene looks as pictured. That one is particularly weird because it's clearly a sunrise photo with light coming from the horizon. With the sun up in the middle of the sky.

I know, it's kind of petty. People put tons of effort into locating those great spots from which to watch the eclipse and create those photos. Just not my style, I guess.

Drove to South Carolina to watch the eclipse yesterday. Note the plasma ejections in the second image.

D71_2547.jpg D71_2559.jpg

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fantastic! Did you take those or find them? Either way, they're great, especially the ejections.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're mine. Nikon 80-400mm with a teleconverter attached.

During the eclipse, I had a home-built solar filter on to capture the phases, but those were without a filter since you can shoot normally during totality.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

imho, whatever it took for you to get to SC and set up to photograph was worth it, for that second picture alone. Nicely done.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed!

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those that haven't seen it, the Shepard Smith "I don't give a shit about this" Compilation:

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Before working in Subury I had never seen the Aurora. I had no idea how lively it is. I thought it was still, I had didn't know they danced around the sky like nightclub lights. It looked like a war was occurring just over the horizon.

Amazing.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The best eclipse shot of all is the guy who accidentally caught the Legend Of Zelda sword:

IMG_1925.JPG