Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

True Detective

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean someone did mention it here after that episode that it was Remus. Also, the cop they took captive was Steve the Drunk from Deadwood, god he had some hilariously terrible racist rants on that show.

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's also the lame ass Warden in Orange is the New Black

3. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A coworker was saying "I don't know how they're going to wrap this up in 1 hour." and after watching the latest episode and talking with the wife, I don't think they will wrap it up in one hour. I think either Rust or Marty will be killed (probably Rust) and the other will go insane (can't look into darkness this deep without going mad) and the two black guys will take over the case. Or try and forget about it.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That would be just so disappointing if it ended like that. I can see one of them dying, but not without some sort of justice being served on the other end.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Or, maybe not. HBO has a nice habit if throwing caution at the wind and delivering downtrodden endings where the bad guy gets away or the good guys lose. I wanted to see Marlo on The Wire die in a shark attack and he gets away scot free a millionaire businessman.

What is great about this is that we have no idea what's going to happen. With everything that's been just so damn magnetic about this show might even be saving the best for last.

6. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think my ending fits in with the Carcosa/Lovecraft theme, but I forgot to mention that I think they'll get at least a bad guy or two. Probably the scarred up dude.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also this is HBO, they can do what the fuck they want. They will probably tack on another 10-15 minutes if that's the case.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know Tony Soprano's DIES, if we are just throwing out series spoilers.

Yeah I don't know why they wouldn't go over an hour if need be. The Sopranos always did during season finales.

9. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Wire ended almost six years ago, it's past spoiler alert status.

10. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

[​IMG]

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And cut into the "One Woman Show about a Single Girl in Brooklyn (formerly known as Girls)"? Surely you jest.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fucking hate that show. It just illustrates the stupidity and self-centered nature of every chick in their 20's who doesn't know a fucking thing about anything.

And she looks like a potato.

13. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That's an insult to potatoes.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

She hates everyone who isn't blind. That's the only explanation as to why THAT would get naked on camera.

15. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It's blasphemous to discuss anything about 'Girls' in the True Detective thread.

.. but has Brian Williams' daughter gotten naked in that show yet? Only reason I would ever allow that show to grace my uTorrent.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want predictions here goddamn it.

What the fuck do you think is going to happen? I really don't think either of these guys is going to die. They're not that bad of people, and it wouldn't be a heroic death. In the larger picture, the people who die in entertainment are people we REALLY love or REALLY hate. Both of these guys in the grander scheme of things are definitely in the middle of the road. There is nothing great about their lives except their ability to (and I quote The Wire) "be good police."

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I expect Cohle to somehow go down in an act of Reichenbach-Falls-like self sacrifice to kill the Yellow King. Perhaps something like lure him out so that Marty can shoot him.

The alternative but less likely is that when fully exposed to the Yellow King's schtick, they end up spiraling into insanity. or at least Marty does. For some reason he seems the more susceptible of the two.

I kind of like the idea that "the Yellow King" is less a person thana collective of sorts.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This will somehow climax with a showdown, and since the badguy knows the area he's in so well, I think a cool stalk and hunt in the marsh would be cool. Something at night and dark to accent the entire show.

It's such a dark show that I'm hoping for closure or redemption for Marty and Rust. Death is not off the table for either of them, Rust really has nothing at all when this ends, Marty barely has hope to cling to (however he's done okay in the money department). I'm hoping if they get their man it refreshes them somehow.

...but who the fuck am I kidding? This show is doomsday-dark and will probably end that way.

However they end this show, I will never, EVER forget it. I already consider this first season modern television folklore.

19. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show has been dancing into cliches and twirling away from them at the last second. I don't think there will be any redemption to let either of these guys into heaven. It will be intense as hell, I know that.

What I'm most excited about is the talent that will be flocking towards this show. Since this will only be one year, and everyone knows how popular this shit is, think about how many top actors are going to be gunning to be on True Detective 2.

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Saying it right now. The Yellow King is a boat. I'm most likely wrong. But if I'm right...