Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After the first big “reveal”, it leads me to assume she was kidnaped by the Hoyt family because she’s their daughter. Hoyt fucked her mom at the chicken factory (he owns it) and had the dirty cop taint the crime scene.

What happened to Hays’ wife I still don’t know, but I’m thinking he and Roland murdered everyone to do with the girl’s disappearance in order for her to be free from them.

This show REALLY terrifies me at becoming old. They make it look like you’re living in a haunted house.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah that’s probably a sound theory. I’m guessing Roland disappeared the Security Chief that probably fucked up Tom. Not sure what the significance of Tom being closeted is either.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think the only significance is that he’s probably not her real father. That’s why I’m assuming she left that cryptic hotline message.

Story certainly got more serpentine. I just hope they don’t try to over-complicate things.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Good point. I guess it’s starting to tie together, sort of. The only other unknown variable is Hayes’ wife.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s the wildcard. I’m not seeing her involved in the crime anymore, instead I think she may have been murdered while investigating it instead. Whatever happened, they aren’t telling us for a reason. If she died of cancer o something we would heave been told right away.

I hope Scoot McNairy gets awards for playing Tom. He REALLY makes you feel his pain.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah maybe. But she would have had to have died after the 1990 investigation, so far they made it seem like she died in the interim since there are pictures of her nearing elderly age.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That I missed.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

HOLY SHIT THIS ISN’T AN ANTHOLOGY SHOW ANYMORE!!!!

.....so much still to be answered. Was that Michael Rooker as the voice of Hoyt at the end?

And this is a looooooong shot, but how great would it be to see Marty and Rust return next season?

#28 Crown Royal, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    What? Did I miss something?

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The story (and cult) from season one has been tied into this. That spiral was on the back of Dora Lang (the murder victim) in the first season. Rust and Marty’s photos were on that newspaper article Sarah Gadon’s character showed to Hays.

Basically, it’s the show runner saying “I’m listening to you.”

11. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes to Rooker, Crown.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The ending and twists were not at all what I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. I thought they were going to tie the cult/trafficking ring in more with season 1, at least more than referencing Rust/Marty in a newspaper clipping and I swear they were alluding to Amelia having some sort of responsibility the entire time. Either way though, it wrapped up well. Im convinced that Hayes had a moment of clarity when he was talking to the adult Julie Purcell regarding who she was and why he was there, but he decided to let her live her new life and heal (as the vision of his wife stated) and let it slip back into the abyss of his mind. That was all the closure he really needed.

I was also thinking that when his son took the crumpled up paper with her address on it and put it in the drawer, there was going to be a bunch of notes with the same exact thing, that hes been solving the case over and over again and just not remembering, Shutter Island style. Im glad that they didnt go in that direction. Overall, a good ending to a really good season.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It ended in the way a police mystery would: with there being LESS to the story. No cult. No kidnapping elitists. No “murder”. Just some shithouse-crazy rich chick that we never got to meet until they tell us she’s the killer. There was no final shootout, and an empty feeling of justice denied— despite the fact it wasn’t a “sad” ending. I thought it was satisfying and a decent conclusion.

How did the uncle die? Last time I remember seeing him was when Tom was threatening him in the motel
    With the gun. Years later he winds up dead, did I miss something in between?

Ali and Dorff were brilliant in their roles. For Dorff it’s the best work he’s ever done.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think the uncle was killed by Harris James on Hoyt's orders to cover up his daughter accidentally killing the kid in the woods, like Tom and Lucy. The reporter was also worthless, but I guess she represented the audience looking for a larger conspiracy, when there really just wasnt any. There was definitely some shady shit going on at the convent, but who knows.

I cant imagine Dorff wont get more work after this. He was the best part of the season and is a great example of how good an actor he can be when he gets a decent script.