Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

True Detective: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Juice, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

New season starts on HBO tomorrow. Im a huge fan of Mahershala Ali. Probably one of the best actors working today.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

OH MY GOD I HAD NO IDEA.

Thank god for this board. Juice, you rock.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’ve been waiting a while for this since the first trailer, looks solid. Let’s see if holds to the classic that was season one, or the mess that was season two.

4. TheDiminished

TheDiminished
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

From what I heard, they brought back some of the same writers and/or creative minds from season 1. Season 2 was awful; I kept waiting for it to get better, because season 1 was so damn perfect... and then it just ended. I'm definitely hoping that they learned from the mistakes of season 2 and make one good.

On the bright side, they're releasing the first two episodes at once which is really nice.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Ive only watched one of the two episodes that released so far, but I really dig it. It already feels like the first season. In some ways, with the different time periods, its almost a little too similar. But Mahershala Ali really captures the mood of it.

I have a theory of what happened, but Im going to wait to see the second episode first.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Solid storytelling after episode one. A slow, deliberate set-up that killed all my theories by the end credits. I love the scene of the kids’ final bike ride, setting up a literal gauntlet of suspects to get you synapses firing.

It has that first season gothic-occult eerieness, plus a Hitchcock- like ability to make suspense out of nothing, like when he’s climbing the tower stairs. All performances are grade-A so far to boot.

Also, another badass opening credits song.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The second episode directly ties this season to the first one regarding a larger conspiracy and pedophile ring. The two theories I’ve read are that it’s his wife. She killed/disappeared the kids to get material for her book. The other theory I’ve read is that no on really did it and it’s a demonstration of how the town descends into mass hysteria over an accident.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The second theory I’ve heard a few times but doesn’t explain the body or the dolls, the first theory seems to make a bit more sense given we are only two episodes in

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah thats true. It wouldnt make sense to already make a Yellow King reference in the 2015/present day scenes if it was just hysteria, unless its just a nod to the first season.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“Sexual depravity in groups” is the one thing linking all three seasons. But season two is far removed from these. This season feels like a “spiritual sequel” to season one: The markers, the ritual body placements... but being only two episodes in who knows how serpentine the story gets, we still haven’t yet seen what exactly happened in this case that drove both cops up the wall.

11. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I watched season 1 straight through. If someone had not placed some popcorn in front of me my blood dugar would have gone all wonky. Thought it was the best TV since The Wire.

3 is now saved on my DVR.

Sounds like season 2 was not well received.

So, should I try to watch 2 before 3, whenever, or not at all. I.e. does it explain anything from 1 and/or 3? I know the makers say each season is stand alone, but . . .

12. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    When I first saw the similarities to the first season, I thought "Oh really, they're gonna do this again?" but the different timelines and the ominous spooky theme is what I loved about the first season. I know this is supposed to be an anthology, but I think if they had some continuity when it comes to the style of storytelling and feel that they used in 1 and 3 and applied it to season 2, it would've been much, much better. Really liking this season so far.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Season two simply feels like a different kind of cop show. It has the brooding, troubled leads and its well-acted but it just over-cluttered and over-plotted.

On its own, it would stand out as a decent, nihlistic cop show. But it is NOT season one. Most people will agree with that.

#13 Crown Royal, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Episode three:

I like that Stephen Dorff is a true main character, and not just “the partner” in this. Everyone is killing it it in their roles.

So Hayes’ “senior moment” at the end there gave off something foreboding. I don’t know if that was meant as a clue or a swerve.

Next episode is number four, which has been the “bombastic” episode for both seasons one and two. I guess we’ll see, it’s been great so far.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It was interesting. Could be that he figured out what really happened in 1990 after they reopened the case and took matters into his own hands. Maybe he took the killer out himself and buried them in the woods. His wife knew about it and wrote the book full of bullshit to throw everyone off, Would make sense.

16. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I didn't find S2 but did find S1 and re-watched it over a couple of nights. Just as grim as I remembered. One thing I didn't get was the connection of the scarred man to the powers that be. It was made clear his family had been part of the monied class, but not much more.

Agree the acting (and casting) in S1 and S3 so far are excellent. Ali is exceptional.

The depiction of the cost of obsession is devestating.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Episode five was great. Made the story much more interesting. Ali and Dorff were amazing in the last quarter of the episode, they play “old” with frightening deftness.

Scoot McNairy (the kids’ father) I think is the best thing about the show. I wonder how much it effects an actor to wallow in utter heartbreak and sadness like that. Because Jesus Christ does he ever sell it well.

I still have no idea what the final denouement of Hays wife is. Don’t know how or when she died, or why her ghost scared the fuck out of Hays while the others didn’t.

#17 Crown Royal, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Man, when given the right material, Stephen Dorff is a really great actor. I have no idea what the deal with his wife is either. I still think shes involved somehow, but I just dont know to what extent. The one thing that was a little odd and maybe its a red herring, but when they listened to the call from the adult Julie Purcell in 1990, she was referring to the man at press conference her father gave. But the Attorney General also appeared on camera and spoke during the press conference as well. She could have actually been referring to him.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I was thinking that she said that in the call because her father (Scoot McNair) isn’t her REAL father. Maybe her uncle is, he still has some other role to play in this story.

Also, the real one-eyed black guy they’re looking for hasn’t been found, unless that’s a red herring as well. Five episodes deep and it still feels like they haven’t revealed much.

This “dirty secret” of Hays is what gets my interest. Notice how when the ghosts of war appear it doesn’t scare but actually annoys him, but his wife’s ghost terrifies him. And we never see her after 1990.

#19 Crown Royal, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Theres definitely something up with the whole chicken factory thing. Too many characters are involved with it some how. They either worked there, consult for it, have political connections or study chicken science (which is actually a thing in Arkansas in real life).