Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

True Blood- Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, May 24, 2011.

1. TheLegendaryEsquilax

TheLegendaryEsquilax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Makes more sense than what's been going on this season, even though I know it'll never happen. I'm aware that they would never kill off Sookie (in fact, I'll go one step further and say that they'll never kill off Jason, Jessica, Bill, Erik, Pam, Tara, etc.), my point was that the show would be far more interesting if Sookie weren't the centre of the universe. Erik was probably the most interesting character on the show, and they destroyed all of his appeal by making him Sookie's subservient puppy. It was really out-of-character and cheesy as hell.

I realize that the books the series is based on aren't exactly works of genius here, but there comes a point when you notice things like the abandoned plot arcs, awful dialogue, everybody in love with Sookie for no apparent reason, Tara becoming an MMA-fighting lesbian (wtf?), and Erik being turned into a pussy for most of the season that you begin to realize that things are becoming kind of a trainwreck. I'm no snob when it comes to TV/books/movies, I enjoy fun, frivolous entertainment but the show hasn't managed to provide that this season. It had some awesome unintentional comedy elements before too (THEY KILLED MAH COOOTTTEEERRR!!!), but it really has gone downhill.

Four seasons and Sookie has only managed to become more annoying, not less. The show wants us to like her, but she is so goddamn irritating that this isn't possible.

You're aware that Sookie is sanctimonious and a total dipshit, I'm aware of it, and most of the people following this thread are probably aware of it. But here's the important distinction: none of the characters on the show are aware of it. She is almost never called out on her behaviour, and regardless of what she does, Bill and Erik will still forfeit their lives for her (God, that was fucking cringe-worthy), Alcide will still chase after her for some inexplicable reason, and Tara will still see Sookie as a friend regardless of how self-absorbed she really is.

The only time I remember seeing her get called out is by Tommy when he was disguised as Sam. She was at work and said something like "lol gtg my vamp bf needs me k thx bye." and Tommy was all "I'm tired of your stupid vampire bullshit. You're fired." Everyone hates Tommy, so it's sort of hollow, but it's still something.

Take a look at how differently the show treated Debbie and Sookie. Debbie is a recovering addict and she's all alone without many constructive outlets. So she decides to get involved with the local pack to occupy her time because her husband is not really the social type and doesn't want a family (or to even talk about the possibility of having a family). Alcide also ignores Debbie a lot too. Then he runs off to chase after some stupid fucking waitress for the tenth time this week, and it obviously bugs the shit out of her. Eventually she starts sleeping with Marcus (a hilarious, obviously-a-dirtbag character) because she's pretty vulnerable and her husband's never around. Apparently this is serious business and Debbie is an evil bitch for cheating on Alcide.

Meanwhile Sookie can never make up her fucking mind about anything, and her vices are usually glossed over. I never particularly liked Debbie, and I'm not saying she was in the right by any means, but I just thought it was kind of a double-standard here. It feels like they're treating the audience like retards. We're supposed to like the protagonists because the show calls them the protagonists, and that approach is pretty daft.

Also, another problem with Sookie is that she can pretty much use her powers whenever the plot requires it, and only then. We don't even know what that cheesy light show thing she does with her hands is, other than it being some sort of fae thing. And it always ends up working whenever the plot needs her to save someone/stop the bad guy. It was silly and awful-looking when she used it on Maryann, and it's still quite bad now. Her powers end up saving the day whenever the plot requires it, no matter how dumb, vulnerable, or ineffective she had been prior to that crucial moment. Also, one would think that a person who could read minds would be a bit more fucking savvy and conscious of people's motives from time to time, no?

Every indication within the show has also shown us that she's just as frail as any other human being. Given the fact that she stupidly charges into any hostile area with a ton of supernaturals who can tear her to shreds quite often, she should have died ages ago. If her blood is so precious and delicious, why hasn't some evil vamp drained her yet? It was already mentioned that fairies were nearly extinct in the past because vampires hunted them down so often, so why is Sookie exempt from this type of danger? When Erik's memory was wiped, why did he kill her fairy godmother (best line of the season) but then control himself when she said "pretty-please don't kill me"? So yeah, it's not the fact that she has supernatural powers that bugs me (it would be pretty dumb if that were the case), it's the fact that she's got plot armor to a ridiculous degree.

Basically, that's the gist of why I think she's a Mary Sue.

I was like 8 when Buffy started, and I never really watched it past a few episodes. I remember it had the most kick-ass theme song ever though.

Jessica has a heavenly rack, but she hasn't even shown it to all of us perv... er, I mean, discerning viewers with excellent taste. It's been a disappointment.

It's not that I want to see Jessica get killed off, it's that I want something interesting to happen. I'd like to see the show take some risks. The reason I'm pretty certain that nobody popular will get killed off is because the show has not killed off a single character with a sympathetic POV, except maybe Godric. TB only kills off characters that are antagonists.

When a character dies, it suddenly changes the dynamic; surviving characters are forced to evolve and the antagonist starts to appear as an actually credible threat. Marntonia is pretty hard to take seriously when the only damage she's caused is killing off a few extras that the audience didn't really care about anyways.

Sadly, I can't really argue with that. It's all about Sookie.

2. vex

vex
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm trying to read the words and turn them into meaning but I just can't grasp it. This show is shit. It doesn't matter what you're expecting. Unless you're expecting shit.

I keep telling myself I'm watching because I'm gay for Erik. But this last season put a fucking silver bullet through that relationship.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Season Finale

Numer one: Wish Granted. Bye bye, so long, farewell. Don't let the door hit you on your dead, sewer-mouthed ass on the way out.

- That shit in the office was fucking NUTS. Awesome. Just awesome. I think we can all agree that Bill is the shit now. Erik and Bill as a team will make for a great Season 5. And Russell back? I can't wait already.

"I've watched Erik seduce super models and princesses and spit on their bones when he was finished!!!!
    -Best. True Blood Line. EVER.

-Hoyt wins. He reacted just how I wanted him to, and Jason fucking deserved every lick, even on the ground. Fuck yeah, I stood up and applauded at that scene. His mom was, again, awesome.

- I thought it was brilliant having it on Halloween, but it wasn't very eerie. Gran pulling Marnie out of Lafayette? SUCKS.

- So next year we have to look forward to Arlene afraid of Terry instead of her kid? Hee haw.

- Jesus did not deserve that. He was way to good of a character to get rid of so soon.

- Jessica wins costume of the night, but Jesus. This strategetic placement of hands shit MUST END NOW.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My instantaneous reaction to the imminent return of Russell Edgington was a combination of excitement and fear. What an amazing villain.

For an episode that plodded along after Jesus was killed and a fairly mundane and weak dispatching of Marnie, the last 15 min were amazing. I couldn't believe Sookie painted her cabinets with Debbie's grey matter. I will miss her deceptively pleasing rack. The office scene was just ridiculous. I can't believe they wasted Nan. Bill's face after and delivery of the puppy dog line was pretty lame, but Eric swooped in and capped it off perfectly. I kind of like them as a team. (Side note, lord it must suck to be a guard in the Alliance. Those mofos get offed with regularity. Haha, gay stormtroopers.

They killed Tara, hurrah!!!

5. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't really narrow this down, so I'm just going to state that there were so many holy shits, I couldn't take it.

6. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The entire episode sucked balls more than any other this season, until the last minute. I did a little dance.

7. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This. I had said to my wife "If I hadn't invested a couple seasons into this show I'd stop watching" and then it happened. Thank Christ it finally happened.

However, if some fucking miracle happens at the start of next season and she is somehow brought back (not sure how since it looked like she took a full shotgun blast to the dome and was laying in a monster pool of blood at the end), then I'm fucking done with this show.

8. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are two possibilities: dead or vampire. I think I would be fine with either one.

I am so ready for Bill and Eric to be in every scene together. They have always had some of the best chemistry/comic moments. The killing of Nan was just brilliant, and I'm glad they finally did it.

I think the last episode was a mix of annoying shit (Jesus, WHY?! I love you...) and finally giving the viewers everything they were asking for.

Book Spoilerish:
    Killing someone in cold blood is where Sookie finally starts being an independent badass. The writers had better stick to that.

9. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sam survived having his heart cut out and yet everyone is excitedly assured that Tara is dead?

We're not that lucky.

10. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, the near-but-not-quite nudity is a fucking blue-ball nightmare, but I'll be damned if there's a straight, sexually functional male on the face of this earth who could not use her in that outfit as a spank bank account for weeks.

Oh, and bringing back Steve Newlin is a nice fucking turd in the bowl. I hope to see it flushed quickly.

11. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I don't know, there was definitely some titty shown, not nearly enough though.

In any case, Overall, this season started off strong, then got weaker and weaker, but finished strong again. I'll be back next year if for no other reason than to keep wishing for a true appearances of Jessica's boobs.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Biggest thing to look forward to: The show's best, most all-powerful villain returning.

Let's hope he kills Nancy Grace next time.

[​IMG]

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It could have been Pam, but this show likes making the viewer think that sort of thing. I thought it was Erik or Sam that kidnapped Bill at the end of Season 2, and it turned out to be somone we hadn't met yet (Russell).

My guess is (and I'm reaching here) Russell "made" Rev. Newlin into a vampire some time after he killed the anchorman, and that's who released him by Russell "summoning" him. The only other poeple that knew he was there were Bill, Erik, Pam and Alcide (who obviously didn't do it).

When you think about it, it COULD have been Erik. I was always wondering why Erik didn't straight up kill him, and don't forget the guy is a complete puppetmaster. Right before her death, Nan was boasting to Bill that Erik knew about the poeple wanting to rebel against the authority. If anybody would have a long-term master plan on this show, it would be Erik.

14. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am so massively pumped for Russell to come back and raise hell. Now that Bill is awesome and not a big giant vagina, we should hopefully see some fireworks instead of Russell just snapping his head off and eating it as a snack before Eric.

Also, I really, really, really hope Tara is dead and we never hear anything about her again. I don't even want to see her funeral, she'd probably manage to annoy me while I was watching that, too. Let's just pretend she never existed.

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*SIGH* I just had a really depressing thought. Jesus's line, "Dude, I'm dead. And you're a medium." This could apply to Tara as well. Fuck.

Edit:
    Double fuck.

<a class="postlink" href="http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/12/true-blood-rutina-wesley-seasonfinal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/12/true- ... asonfinal/</a>

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guys? Really? You've watched this show. You know Tara is turning into a vampire. You do. Think about it. Who has fucked with her all this time? Vampires. How fucked up would it be and "interesting" (it is in quotes for a reason, don't red dot me) would it be to turn into one?

Yes, finally they showed 1 of Deborah Ann Woll's tits from a medium-far shot. Trust me, I slowed and rewound. Its a step and of course that scene fucking killed it. That lucky fucking bastard got to shoot that scene with her.

My only complaint about that episode is whatever the fuck they're doing with Terry, so happy to see Rene make an appearance.

Happy to see Rev (By the way, check out his IMDB page for a laugh) back, great fucking character. Hopefully the hot wife returns also since she's not shooting Mad Men right now. Definitely placing bets on Pam digging up Russell, its the action of a woman scorned.

Very pissed that they didn't throw Alcide into the wolf pack position, but I guess that have a season for that. Also, Debbie was caught in lingerie with another dude, first thought was to go after Sookie with a shotty? I'll let that one slide since Sookie finally killed her.

Oh and Crown Royal, you're fucking entirely wrong about the Best Line Ever. Pretty much that whole goddamn scene before she started crying was the best line ever.

I'm not down on this show as the majority, I can't wait for next season.

17. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty much. Sookie's going to get one of her vamp boytoys to come over and ask him to give Tara some of his blood. "She's too far gone. It won't help her now" even though it saved Jason when he became a human pop tart. The only choices are to let her die (which in any case she'll become a gah-gah-gah-gah GHOST! and interact with Lafayette) or to turn her. I'm really hoping they go with option number 3 and turn her into a mummy though.

So I guess at least one of our main antagonists next season will be Russell. I'm down with that. I still miss Franklin though. I'm guessing another one will somehow involve Maurella and why she boned Andy.

Last will be the guy who visited Terry and caused Rene's ghost to appear.

Raelle Tucker, one of the producers gave some spoiler hints to EW.com.

Returning

Patrick: “His arc has to do with Terry’s past coming back to haunt Bon Temps and Arlene and their life they’re trying to set up together.”

Russell: “Russell is not dead,” says Tucker. “It’s safe to assume the king of Mississippi is not gone for good.”

Steve: “I will say that Steve’s reason for returning to Jason is not at all what you expect.”

Fairies: “Season 5 will explore more fairies, new fairies, fairies in a way you haven’t really seen fairies. We will all, as well as Sookie, come to understand fairies more than in previous seasons.”

New

Female Vampire: “There will be a very significant, strong, mysterious woman at the center of one of our main stories next year. That will be a very familiar and compelling character. It may be someone you’ve heard of before.” [Boom, Tara.]

Werewolf: The identity of the wolf seen growling at Sam (Sam Trammell) in the final moments will be revealed — and, according to Tucker, is “someone you have never met before.”

Raelle also teased that the consequences of Bill & Eric killing Nan will follow them into next season, and “While there will always be romance in Sookie’s life, Sookie at the moment is choosing herself over all of them.” Is that a hint that Quinn is coming?

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are 4 "new" vampire types they have to explore, only 3 of them being interesting. The first was Jessica, the innocent victim who just beceame a vampire out of nowhere, and how she learns to cope with it. The second being the vampire hating fanatic that really has nothing against them other than religion, hi Steve. Third being the person who's been fucked up by vampires now being turned into the things she hates and despises the most, how she handles that [Boom, Tara]. The fourth and least interesting would be the one that loves and wanted to be a vampire the whole time and finally gets their wish. That last idea sounds like something to be explored by next falls new CW show. But TB could easily whore it up and toss it in.

I can say I'm very glad they're thinking about this shit now and not two months before the season starts filming.

19. DefFlava

DefFlava
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This thread is about season 4, but I didn't know where else to post it so:

Just started watching this show, I'm on ep 7 of the first season and I got to say I didn't like it at first with all the vampire shows/movies going on right now because it felt a little cliched, but I've gotten into it pretty quick. Waiting to see how it turns out over the course of the first couple seasons.
    On another note, I knew Anna Paquin was fine before and damn she looks good in this, but what the hell is up with Rutina Wesley aka Tara? She's looking fine as hell AND her acting is pretty impressive, too. Plus Tara's cousin is funny as hell. I'm liking this a lot, even though I had some doubts at first. Hope it doesn't take a nosedive in quality soon...