Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

True Blood - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Roxanne, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hit-and-miss season opener. That scene with Bill and Sam had me cracking up, though. There's nothing like gay weirdness to get 'em laughing. Was was the title of that epidsode again? "Shirtless Dudes?"

2. insanityv2

insanityv2
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't recall. What was our consensus on Evan Rachel Wood last season. Absolutely wooden acting, but fucking hot as a redhead? Then this season looks to be par for course. Seriously. That scene in the empty bar, after the bald dude left, gave me a semi.

3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought they opened up the season well, all the new story lines are interesting, fresh and pretty sweet with the exception of course of Tara and her mom.

I hope Tara is able to follow through with her suicide and her mom follows in her tracks. The whole show was great except for every minuet they were on the screen.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriously. I hate Tara's mother more than life itself and I am getting really tired of Tara's shit. When she flew off the handle about racist shit in the bar, I about threw the remote at the TV. Luckily Lafayette cleaned up that well with some quality quips.

Pam was great in this episode. She has kind of a smoldering MILF sexuality and her half-assed attempt at stopping Sookie from going in the basement of Fangtasia was funny. I like her relationship with Eric when she is not just his lackey. Her line about maybe she wears too much pink but she can still rip your throat out was probably my favorite of the episode.

The Werewolf storyline is interesting. I also like to see Andy Balflour with some balls and not being an idiot. His character has some depth.

In terms of the ladies, I agree with the previous assertion that Dawn was the hottest, exempting the always naked Lizzy Caplan of course. But Tara? She looks like she could beat your ass. She has arms and shoulders like Serena fucking Williams. She also appears to have some sort of female weightlifter gut. No thanks. I don't like gingers but I'll take Jessica anyday over Tara.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How about one person backs you up? Almost everyone of Stackhouse's girlfriends were hotter, the queen is hotter, the new dancer is 100 times hotter, I don't really like Pam but she's better looking, the chick who was married to the fellowship of the sun's leader was better Bill's old wife was hotter I mean the list goes on. Since you like redheads so much you may want to get a an Arlene/Jessica screen saver! It would be soooooo red and soooooo hot.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/carrie_preston_true_blood.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/up ... _blood.jpg</a>

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking werewolves? Already?

I actually like this show but they're going a little too Twilight with the introduction of werewolves first thing this season.

Did they ever explain how the Queen is out of money? I mean can't she just glamour some investment banker or rich old man or something? Selling V in massive amount just seems like a terrible idea and it'll certainly come back to Eric and the Queen.

It looks like the entire cast hit the gym this offseason too. Everybody is in shape, even Andy looks like he dropped a few pounds.

7. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've read the books. The series is somewhat staying with the books and if I'm not mistaken the werewolves were introduced in the third book. I thought the same thing about Twilight, but the third book was written in 2003 so it's not like they're trying to copy it, they're staying on course with the books.

EDIT: I just realized I was wrong and the weres were actually introduced in the second book.

8. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please don't start this, it's totally a sore subject of mine. Twilight was written AFTER the Sookie Stackhouse books started, and from what I have seen, Twilight's author ripped a ton of her ideas from it.

That aside, I liked the season opening. Jason was absolutely amazing the whole time. Every line out of his mouth was a winner. Also, I loved Eric losing his shit over a Bluetooth, of all things, but I can't stand his interaction with the queen. I hope she dies soon, and he cracks a smile.

I will also throw my hat into the 'Jessica is hot' ring. How can anyone deny it? She's crazy and sexy and adorable.

9. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All I know about Twilight I've gleaned from the 30 second commercial spots I've seen advertising it and from listening to people rip on the series. But when I saw werewolves in True Blood it was the first thing I thought of.

Meh, no biggie.

Also I agree that Jessica is hot. Probably 3rd place after Lizzie Caplan and the other shape shifter chick.

My biggest complaint thus far is that they're trying to focus on too many plot lines at once. There's no need to advance the story of EVERY character in every episode. It feels disjointed, especially after watching Breaking Bad (for example) where major characters are ignored complete for an episode or two without any consequence. Less Sam back story, less Tara, and more Eric doing funny shit and banging hot chicks.

10. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the HBO formula unfortunately. They have every character going seven different ways leading to seven different stories. Sometimes they cross paths sometimes they don't. Entourage, Soprano's, The Wire, all of them did that same thing.

I can acknowledge Jessica is good looking but saying she is "the hottest girl on the show" is crazy, of course it's a questions of taste but I would think Crown is in the minority with that statement. Probably right along with the girls who think Andy is the best looking guy on the show.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sam needs to cheer the fuck up. I don't know exactly where they're going with him, but this tortured past shit has to end. Just because every hot chick at your bar dies horribly doesn't mean you can get all Buzz Killington on everybody. However, if there's more gay humour dreams with him and Bill, I will play ball because that was the highlight of the season opener, no doubt. Hilarious.

I wish the werewolves were more Were and less Wolf. They basically look like a pack of malevolent Malamutes with freaky eyes. Not scary, not interesting. They better do something cool with it or this could be the death of the series.

Eric and the Queen have funny chemistry together. I'm sure Eric eventually send her up the river. Better her than getting rid of the coolest character on the show.

Anna Paquin, your body is amazing but every time you open your mouth I want to insert a coin between the gap in your teeth or kick a field goal through it. No offense.

12. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tara. Oh my fucking god, Tara. Please run into a knife.

Generally, when I really don't like a character, it's because the actor is talented enough to make them loathsome. They take material that could be a run of the mill bad guy, and infuse it with creepiness or evil, etc. Tara and her mom, however, are supposed to be likable. Well, Tara is, anyway. But she's fucking awful. It's poor writing, awful acting, just all around bad story telling. I hate every second that they're on the screen, taking away from plotlines that might be remotely enjoyable.

Add in the fact that the girl who plays Tara looks like a cross between a lemur on steroids and a goblin, with a horribly annoying version of a southern accent... The only possible thing that redeems any of their shithouse storylines is the involvement of Lafayette.

I'm confused as to how Bill was strong enough to get the driver if he was close to death. Of course, he could have been lying. Still don't know how/why he ended up shirtless, with the werewolf's gloves on.

If I discovered I had the ability to change into animals, I might want to know where I came from, as well. But I wouldn't be all sad-sack mopemaster about it, I'd be fuckin romping around through the forest and shit, or flying. Fuck, man why stake out the house in your shit pile jeep when you can change into a rat and get in?

Alan Ball said that they really did not want to do the "giant, mutant looking, obviously CGI werewolves" like every other hack series. He said something along the lines of, "Werewolves are very simple. They're men who turn into wolves, so we thought, 'why not just use wolves?'" I agree with him.

I don't really like them together. Evan Rachel Wood had probably the most retarded line in the premier. "Hell hath no fury like a vampire queen broke." I miss Godric. If Erik has to bow down to anyone, I'd prefer it be him.

Never understood how people don't find her attractive. I think the gap is kinda sexy. And yeah, her body is fuckin SLAMMIN now.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah whatever happened to the actual "were" part of werewolves. I would like a more "Underworld" type of werewolf, not these actual wolves that have been so popular lately.

Why is Sam upset? He just has a horribly gay dream about the vampire that stole his soul mate that's why!!

You guys do remember that Sam mentioned Werewolves in season one so all the critique about that is silly, they had foreshadowed it two seasons ago.

I couldn't agree more about Tara. The thing that makes it especially awful is that all the other plot lines are good, if Lafeyette wasn't involved with hers I would fast forward it, I'm not kidding. Every time her mother opens her mouth I get shooting pains in my body.

14. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They showed the guy bitching about getting blood on his good gloves or something and he started taking them off. The next scene with them was the guy car surfing and then Bill was killing the driver with the gloves on. I assume he needed the gloves to be able to grab the silver chains.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since we're all watching a show about vampires I figure you might get a kick out of this.

Joe Rogan riffing about True Blood and vampire shows in general. (Jump ahead to the 42min mark) Very funny.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/7530462

16. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Were's of any kind in the Sookie Stackhouse novels are just people that can turn into some form of animal (wolf, raven, tiger, etc.). When the books came out it was actually a nice throwback take on the legend before Twilight fucked everything up.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Let me be honest here for a second:

I can't be the only one who likes this show but thinks that the actual character of Sookie brings really nothing to the table aside from a great frame. Sure she's a sassy, bitchy, bouncy hayseed waitress that occasionally shoots Jesus lasers out of her hand for some reason, but (at least in my opinion) every single other character on the show aside from snippy bitch Tara and her bible-thumping cooze mother are much more interesting.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. It's just she's pretty hot, (gap and all) and does great nude scenes. I'm not crazy about her but I like her more than Jessica.

You also hit the nail right on the head, as long as you have horrid awful characters like Tara and her mom you will find it hard to get people to complain about Sookie.

It's like trying to divert peoples attention from how bad "Deb" is on Dexter. It's an uphill battle Crown, an uphill battle.

I mean I know she won't win an Emmy, but that body compared to Tara and her mom's dumb demon talk? C'mon she is hardly a bother.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The only one worse than Tara & her mom is Mia on Californication. I hope she falls into a Vietcong shit-spike trap.

20. insanityv2

insanityv2
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So on another note:

#40 insanityv2, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015