Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Tis the Season for Wheezin'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toddamus, Oct 21, 2014.

1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No no no....get the stuff you have to take every four hours. Sure you'll be tweaking like a meth head but your sinuses will be clear as can be.

I think the key for the tracking ad showing your license is that you can only get one box a month. So if you are making meth from it your supply will be limited

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You sneeze you leze

+1 on Mucinex D. That works best for me. There's no point in buying anything you don't have to show your ID for. Taking that is the same as not taking anything.

3. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Re: You sneeze you leze

One time I was talking to a lady and we were talking about Mucinex and I said "Yeah, I like the D." And then realized what I said. She was old and didn't realize, but it made me smile.

Depends on what it is and how many pills. It's the per day, per month maximum. 3.6 per day, 9 per month. I guess I should clarify in Pennsylvania that's what it is. Could be different elsewhere. So if you get Mucinex-D 36 count one day, that will be under the 3.6, so you can come in the next day and get another box, but a third one will push you over the limit. But you might be able to get a 12 count.

4. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I almost never get sick, so don't bother with a shot that might make me a little-bit-sick for a day. I last got the flu ten years ago this January, and this past January a bout of viral meningitis generated a white blood cell count that made the ER docs say "this has to be viral, but holy shit look at the white count... He's insured, let's admit him." I later puked for the first time since the George H.W. Bush administration.

My next hospital stay will surely be my inevitable heart attack (I'm built like a toothpick, but hypertensive) rather than an infectious disease, so no flu shot for me.

5. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I used to get the flu 3 years out of 4. I didn't get the shot because hate needles. Three years ago my Doc said take the damn shot. So, I decided to try it once. No flu since. Hey, maybe it works.

My daughter gets the flu every year (she's a junior in college now, so massive exposure for the last 14 years).

She won't take the shot because hates needles.

Nature or nurture?

6. tweetybird

tweetybird
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got the flu shot for the first time last year. Other than the lady at the counter in CVS clearly having very little exeperience, shaking like a leaf throughout, and generally doing an excoriable job of administering said shot, it was basically a non-event. I did it because my BFF was expecting and she made it very clear that anyone who would be hanging out with her baby would be fully vaccinated. Seems reasonable to me.

3 years ago, while living temporarily in London, my husband and I came down with some sort of Mutant Martian Death Flu at the same time. Like, I was texting him from home going, can you bring Gatorade I don't feel so hot, at the same time as he was texting me, I can't stand up anymore I'm coming home. We literally laid in bed together for over 24 hours before he could muster the strength to go buy us medicine and Powerade (gross, but they apparently don't have Gatorade over there), in between bouts of destroying bathrooms from both ends (thank any diety you want for 2 bathroom apartments) and moaning from the sheer overwhelming body aches. I would have said it was food poisoning, except that half his office came down with it and it lasted a solid 3 days. That's the sickest I've been in my adult life and I will continue getting flu shots from now on to reduce the chance I have to experience anything like that again.

Regarding men and illness, my husband has a disturbing habit of acting like a total baby for incidents of mild discomfort (a cold, sore muscles, being too warm), but if something is seriously wrong he will NOT tell you and insist everything is fine. He had major surgery in February and I knew when he started to get grumpy and became a generally pain in the ass to take care of that he was getting better. I keep telling him it's like the boy who cried wolf - you whine to me too many times about your man cold, and the time you actually have pneumonia I'm not going to give any fucks!

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My wife is absolutely rocked by the flu right now, I rarely get it. Once every three years at most. I just look at the flu as a great excuse to drink shitloads of Canada Dry or Vernors.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One Flu Over The Cuckoo's Nest

For those of you who don't get a Flu shot because you don't like needles, you can request the Flu mist. (The nasal spray version.) It varies by location / doctor / pharmacy / availability, but even though it's designed for children, you can still get it. Also, I heard that this year's flu shot has more strains than normal, and may be more effective than ever before. We'll see, I guess.

9. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: One Flu Over The Cuckoo's Nest

There are two different types of flu shots, trivalent and quadrivalent, I'll assume people on here know what the difference is just based on the words. The trivalent has two A type viruses and 1 B type, the quad has two A and two B. The quadrivalent is preferable because it offers resistance against a broader range of viruses.

I had a flu once that knocked me out for a month in high school, it really did put me on my ass for a long time and I felt truly terrible. I remember being so weak I could hardly move. Flu can be really serious, its worth getting a cheap immunization to avoid feeling terrible and if nothing else to aid in herd immunity.

10. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm not an M.D., but my doc is (I hope). Anyway, he says the shot only has dead virus thingies in it, but the nasal spray has live (but hopefully weakened) virus parts. So, in an abundance of caution, the spray is not approved for the very young or the very old.

11. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I've only gotten knock-out sick a couple times in my life, but living in the dorms at school was what really did me in. Both years like clockwork I got ridiculously sick in February. Scared I was actually going to die sick. One of the years I went to bed feeling fine, woke up and thought "hey I think I feel a little ill today" as I was getting out of bed and, next thing I know, I'm waking up on the floor of the hallway because I had fainted and fell face-first and smacked my head on the tile floor. So not only was I dying from (what I'm assuming was) the flu for the next week, I had a giant egg on my forehead the whole time.

The one time I got it that badly when I was younger I was watching a Janet Jackson concert on TV and then started hallucinating and thought Janet was in my living room with her pet pig having a chat with me. I don't get sick often, but when I do, I go hard.

Now if I feel like something may be coming on, I do the proper white girl thing and drink a ton of green juice.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is my understanding as well. But, I hope there is no one young enough to qualify reading this board. And, I don't think anyone here, besides Shegirl, is old enough for it to be a problem.

13. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or the immunocomprised or anybody living with somebody that is immunocomprimised. So, if you or your roommate has HIV or cancer, you should probably get the shot.

And just so we are correct on terminology, since I see many people at my clinic who are confused about this, the flu shot is for Influenza, not gastroentiritis, which is what is commonly referred to as "stomach flu". Two completely different things. And while vomiting and diarrhea for a couple of days isn't much fun, it is nowhere as debilitating as Influenza can be.

14. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I can think of two occasions where I felt like death. The first was getting a stomach bug on NYE. I went to a friends house and had a drink. Out of nowhere I started feeling hot, clammy and nauseous. So, I went home and fell asleep. I woke up around 6 am and vomited pretty much every hour on the hour all morning. It was awful. I think I lost like 10 lbs in water weight.

The second was when I had mono (does that count for this thread?). For weeks I felt exhausted and like I couldn't get back to normal no matter how much I ate or slept. All I wanted to do was sleep and my skin was ghostly. I thought I had AIDS.

15. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno if it's been addressed - but fuck the employers who demand that those people come in anyway, and don't offer sick days or PTO because of whatever reason. Lots of times (and I'm guilty of this) people go in because they can't afford to be sick. And, they sure as shit can't afford to get the medical help.
    It isn't heroic, or at least it wasn't for me. It was putting food on the table.

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm getting a flu shot as soon as possible for the first time in several years. Why? Because we have a 3 month old child and my wife says I'm getting one.

I work at a small engineering firm, only a few employees, and I live in the boonies so I don't come into contact with tons of sick people. I supervise a couple of people, if they get sick they are told to leave and not come back without a doctor's note saying they are no longer contagious. They have insurance, go to the fucking doctor, don't get me sick.

My wife is terrified of getting sick. One of my guys called in sick with pneumonia a while back. She took our son and stayed in a hotel for 5 days. I had to Lysol the whole house, my office, my truck, everything for days until she was comfortable bringing our kid back home.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My workplace can suck HPV-festooned dicks when it comes to sick leave-you must have a doctor's note (paid for out of your own pocket) every single time you are sick or you get officially written up, even though it's hourly and not salary. They don't care that this is a direct violation of worker's rights (you are entitled to five unexcused days by law) it's "their word against yours" as they actually said to me once. Yes, it is that bad. Fuck their nepotism-swinging entitled ignorant asses, I cannot WAIT to finish school and leave them.

How the hell is someone Going to feel better sitting in doctor's office half the day with other sick people just to get a $25 permission slip? Fucking morons.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah....this.

I don't get very sick very often. Even during school age years I never had more than a drippy nose or the occasional ear infection. The last time I remember getting sick was last spring. I may have actually had the flu with the symptoms I was showing. Luckily my absolute sickest days fell on my off days (hooray?) but I came in the other days even though I felt barely well enough to function. I made sure to immediately wash my hands if I ever touched my face/blew my nose, so I am hoping that the number of people I passed it to was minimal.

That's the thing about hourly workers. You don't work, you don't get paid. Plus (in my specific case), if you get sick and call in, someone has to cover your shifts, and that's a whole ordeal that I really detest dealing with. I was also still pretty new and didn't want to be the new girl calling out for a week.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife and I will be getting flu shots because we like having vacation days. For the record, accrued vacation days can suck a fat cock. Planning your vacation around something as nebulous as hours earned is a crock. While I've been lucky so far at this job, my last job saw me go three days unpaid because I contracted walking pneumonia. That was the first and last time I had ever gone to an ER with an illness. I coughed up key lime pie filling and prayed for the sweet release of death for 5 days.

The last time I had full blown flu, I was 10, but was sick for 6 days. Nothing quite like a high grade fever, nausea, vertigo, body aches and barfing any time I attempted to keep anything more solid than a sip of water down.