Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TIME's Person of the Year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Was given to Angela Merkel. Overall and an interesting choice, and the second German head of state to get the title since Adolf Hitler. For anyone that isnt familiar, its not given to someone who particularly a good person, but usually someone who wields considerable influence.

I've posted before about how Europe is becoming irrelevant on the geopolitical scene. Outside of the UK, which isn't on the Euro anyway, Germany is the only country that wields actual power in Europe (and France to a degree) and has the gravitas to do so. Unfortunately they cant take the lead and guide the Eurozone forward, because well, historical reasons. However, Germany's power over the UK has been ticking upward of the past 18 months or so and it will be interesting to see how things play out over the next five years. Overall, I think shes very much befitting of the title of Person of the Year.

In case anyone was curious on who was next in the running:

2) Abu Bakr al Baghdadi - purported ISIS leader
    3) Donald Trump
    4) Black Lives Matter (the group/movement as a whole)
    5) Hassan Rouhani - Iranian president
    6) Travis Kalanick - founded Uber
    7) Caitlyn Jenner - Queen of the Trannies

Focus: Thoughts on the Person of the Year and the list in general.

Alt Focus: Who else is befitting the title and why?

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus I am glad they didn't give the walking hairpiece any more attention.

Forgive my ignorance on global politics but has Germany actually tried to take the lead on anything and then got slapped with the historical stuff? Or is it more of an unspoken thing?

Regarding the founder of Uber, excellent idea, I use the service but the whole independent contractor status thing is bullshit.

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Off focus but, if you are driving for Uber or any other such service check with your insurance carrier because, chances are a risk such as that is not covered under your personal auto policy without some tweeks. Use your agent, that's what we're for.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be fine with Trump only if the magazine cover was the image of him with his lips replaced by an asshole. After trying to follow both the Euro economic crisis and migrant situation, it does seem Merkel has her plate full and her shit together.

5. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still at a complete loss as to what your basis for saying this is. Irrelevant to whom? The EU hosts the majority of first world countries on this planet. They certainly are not irrelevant to the United States. They aren't irrelevant to Asia or the Middle East. Who is relevant then? Canada? Sorry, but no. Germany is not THE leader of the EU, but the EU neither desires nor needs a definitive leader. To put it bluntly, your claim is just plain fucking weird. Also, it tends to be Americans who still view Germany through the WW2 scope, not Europeans. The fact that you think most people are still so suspicious of Germany based on WW2 kind of suggests you don't really understand the EU. If you go there you'll see they're one of the most anti-military nations on the planet. People have since gotten over the Nazis.

I think even you would have to admit that Germany, France, and the UK are relevant on the global scene. On that basis alone you can't possibly say the entire EU is irrelevant, so why are you saying it?

Lastly, your timing for saying this makes no sense. The American economy used to dominate the globe. That certainly isn't true any more, so why say it now? If the EU is irrelevant (and they're not) they used to be much more irrelevant.

Focus: I think Merkel was a good choice. Germany has steadily been becoming more powerful over the last two decades and she's been the primary figure head of the modern era. There really wasn't anyone in particular who stood out last year. The leader os ISIS, sure, but outside of being an asshole he's really only a legitimate threat to the region he's already in. Putin would have been a good choice as well, but he doesn't seem able to make up his mind on the middle east (much like everyone else) or in Ukraine.

#5 Kampf Trinker, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015