Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Time to find another Jobs.... iDied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scotchcrotch, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Had to be done.

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RIP Steve Jobs, hopefully you will be remembered for your marketing genius and not the army of sycophantic fanboys your products unfortunately created.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was very skeptical of this and assumed it was doctored to include the 'posted from iphone' tag, they can't be THAT blatantly hypocritical can they? I mean, even in the off chance she had an iphone surely even the stupidest person in the world would have the sense to make that one post from anywhere except an iphone, right? So I checked her twitter... and I was wrong.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I'm gonna make the claim that Jobs might be the best CEO of all time. The face of the company, positive image, and figurehead of an industry. What else could you ask for?

5. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Awesome.

I had a good friend in HS, got the first computer of anyone I knew. Apple. Ah, the 80s. We would play Art of War every free moment.

Nice link. RIP Steve.

6. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Kind of in the vein of the post that started the "Can You Really Be That Stupid?" thread, this was on my news feed this morning:

"Okay Stevie died. Question-How does this really affect any of your lives. Granted, I do send my condolences to his family and whatnot but past that he was just another dude with a computer and a few ideas about it. Did he cure the AIDS virus? No. Did he solve world hunger? No. Did he fix our economy or create world peace? No. So in other words all he was was a man with a computer/ipod/ipad. Good for him but i don't really give two flying rat shits about it. Now will everyone please stop posting shit about it?"

Yeah...

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Every once in a while something like that pops up in my news feed and it's just a reminder of the fact that I don't really want to interact with that person anyway... so I just defriend them. It's almost always someone I either only knew peripherally anyway, or was someone I went to high school with and haven't talked to in 15 years.

It's much nicer to only be looking at updates from funny/interesting/relevant people.

On focus, totally aside from Apple as a company, nobody deserves to die at 56.

edit: From a rep, I realized that if my dad had died at that age, it would have been ten years ago. Fuck that's young.

8. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Tyrannical rage and oily pythons.

[​IMG]

9. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does this mean all of the apple nerds are going to now apply to the government for Jobless benefits?

10. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Steve Jobs died?

That makes me iSad.

11. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

He was a notorious asshole and hard to work with. Yes he was very good at his job but does that mean we should all feel sad for him? Hitler was good at what he did too.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hitler was rejected from art school.

Here's a list of the best Steve Jobs tributes.

Ultimately, I think Jobs will be considered along the likes of Ford and Carnegie (they were hard to work for as well by the way). Perhaps even Edison (also a bit of an asshole, at least if your name was Tesla). I think of him as one of the few modern day captains of industry who helped to build and expand on an industry that was relatively new in the marketplace. We have very few people who are so identified with their company in the modern age (Zuckerberg, Buffett and Gates come to mind most readily).

Probably what I consider his greatest achievement was the general idea that computers and technology could be consumer friendly. He saw the potential of making things cheaper and more accessible to the mass public, in a time when it was considered something for businesses. You can really see this philosophy in all his products from the Apple II to the iPad.

Edit: P.S. Thanks for Pixar.

13. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Apparently the general consensus is that I should "shut the fuck up" I don't know if i'm getting hated on by butthurt mac fanboys or just people who couldn't take a joke. That being said the Hitler thing might have been poorly thought out but my point was the following: Steve Jobs was not a very nice person to work with. I'm not taking away from his accomplishments at all I'm just saying what I've heard from people who've had first hand experience with him.

Eitherway all of you mentioned qualities about the man that were admirable, well he was also an asshole. It's not like I'm going to his wake and saying that it's an internet forum, I have an opinion. Is that so wrong?

O yeah and Hitler did fail out of artschool but he also:

Took Germany out from the pit of economical dispair and industrialized it.
    Had the idea for the Volkswagen
    He was also a warhero in WWI known for his bravery.

My point was that despite all of those things he was a fucking asshole. Again not the best comparison but, I'm just clarifying. Anyway this is stupid and not the point of this thread so I'll leave it at that.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My point was that it was a stupid analogy, and just because someone might have been unpleasant to work for doesn't mean he's deserving of your disrespect or that there's zero reason to mourn his passing.

Hitler comparisons are almost the sole domain of people with no imagination who like to start arguments for no other reason than they want to piss people off.

I don't generally like Apple products, I hate MacOS and I think the company primarily made their fortune by taking ideas that others created, packaging them up into a pretty form factor and marketing the hell out of it. It doesn't mean that it isn't a little sad that a successful person who tried to drive innovation in many areas of his career - not just electronics - died before he even reached the age of retirement.

15. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now as someone who likes (loves) his iPod touch but has worked in graphics and video editing with a top of the line Mac bought in 2011 spec'd out to what the company perceived to be top of the line (but the comp was a piece of mediocre engineering, seriously I could crash that thing trying to load video into iMovie, or trying to open more than five RAW files at one time) I will say that Jobs was a great marketing master. Not great actually:

A genius.

I have complained about the fact that Apple is one of the richest and most powerful companies in the world. It bothers me that a company that is now based on nothing more than churning out trinkets for people to show off, and amuse themselves on their commute is a bigger company than Exxon, a company that despite their flaws churns out a slippery black product that is the very basis of what we need to carry on the lives we have come to enjoy.

16. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the world will miss Steve. Hell I will miss him. He (his company) created most of the products against which everything in the tech industry is judged against. Ever hear someone say "Is it better than the motorola EVO 4g 3D phone?" when comparing phones? No they compare it to the iphone. The man made the smart phone accessible to most everyone. He may not have invented the smart phone, but he certainly perfected it. And he gave us the the only tablet PC that actually works. We also can't undercut what he did with Pixar.

The world will miss him. I can only hope that Tim Cook can push the company to continuously develop awesome technology.*

It really depresses me that the man was worth 8 billion dollars, and can't buy his way out of cancer. If he can't... then who can? The common man has no chance against this stuff. It's taken too many of my family members. And as much as my Dad smokes, I'm sure it will get him also. Fuck cancer. Right in its stupid fucking ass.

*I do not own an iphone or mac. I do have an android powered phone. If you think your android phone or windows PC would be anywhere near where it is now without the competition and direction of the iphone, you are a re-re.

17. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or you should shut the fuck up because you're an unfunny tool. Whatever, right?

18. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, but usually the question is "Is it better then an iPhone?" and usually the answer is "yes"

19. Ganimedes

Ganimedes
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Re: Time to find another Jobs

Apple will undoubtedly be fine and cranking out iPod Pica and iPhone 14 for years more but you shouldn't underestimate Jobs importance as a provider of vision or of creative direction. He didn't do the fucking payroll, he okayed packaging and selling us a new way of buying and listening to music.

When someone in marketing research or accounting objects to Apple's next crazy project there's not going to be a person so intimately connected with starting the company that they can overrule and forge ahead anyway. You'll see plenty of 'new' shit coming out of Apple, but paradigm changes?

Enter the custodians.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So in a week, Al Davis, Steve Jobs and Murdock from Rambo 2 have all died.

Am I alone in thinking the world is becoming a better place one insensitive white asshole at a time?