Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TIB Parental Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Dcc001, Apr 20, 2013.

1. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If someone is using this website to decide whether to let their seven-year-old watch Apocalypse Now, there may be other issues at play. That's as far as I made it down the list.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I almost posted this in the Kodak thread but most people (ok, probably like 99% of you) don't give 2 shits about babies. I figured it would be better suited here.

My niece built a chair out of wood scraps from my sister's latest back yard project. She's a good big sister.

[​IMG]

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I'm just going to say this:

WHY is every child on earth deathly allergic to peanut butter? I remember a time when this stuff wasn't treated like SARS. Hell, I like peanut butter. So does my daughter, she ate it and SPOILER ALERT: she didn't die. I don't remember it killing anybody at my school. Or hurting them. Or giving them stuffed-up nose, fever, and itchy watery eyes.

Why can't we let the kids have the peanut butter, and keep the allergic kids in one of those special rooms like they kept the monkey in from Outbreak. Problem solved, everybody wins.

Peanut Butter didn't used to be dangerous. Why is it so deadly now? I'll tell you why: chemtrails. You have no idea, I have the proof and facts it will blow your MINDS.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've read that a lot of food allergies like peanut butter are basically rich people problems. Read about the Hygiene Hypothesis. Wikipedia has an okay article on it to give you the basic idea.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I just think parents over-protect their kids about EVERYTHING in general. Coddling is out of control. Soon they're going to be allergic to the underside of their own skin since they're wiping them down with Purell very five seconds. I remember when dirt was one of my favourite toys. You probably do to.

On the other hand I never knew of kids coming down with a tenth of what they do these days. My daughter had H1N1 and RSV twice. She had both at the same time, there's all this crazy shit flying around nowadays. Stuff like this drive the paranoid hypochondriacs even more. This pushes stupid bullshit like homeschooling, which as we know always works out great for children's personalities.

It comes to a point where you are no longer raising your kids, but sort of dating them. Never telling them they're wrong, Never letting them discover things themselves, buying their love and distracting them with shiny things from your voids.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I can't tell you how often I ate food my mom left out. Expiration dates? Mere suggestions! Food fell on the floor? Bitch, food ain't free. Waste not, want not. Oh, it looks like your veins are turning green from the cut on your hand, maybe we should get you some antibiotics now. There are 6 kids in my family and I am the fifth. Do you REALLY think anybody gave a shit what I was putting in my mouth by the time I was crawling on all fours? I think I shit a couple pennies out, too.

7. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Snail shells and all sorts of various food like objects from the garden went in my mouth as a kid. I got laughed at because I ate a piece of licorice I dropped in primary school but fuck that, ten second rule. I still eat bacon off the floor if it pops out of the pan.

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly I think the way we grow a lot of this shit contributes to why the allergies get so bad. Plus add in an increasingly modern lifestyle of shitty sleep, too much sitting, sterilized environments and you have a recipe for disaster.

9. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How hot do you cook your bacon?

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not normally too hot but sometimes I forget and it pops out, or I might drop it before it even gets in there. And we're all going to get cancer before we die of some sort anyway.

11. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe its because I grew up broke, but I couldn't imagine haveing a food allergy. When in a good day you get two meals as a child, you eat what is put in front of you. Gluten be damned.

The little girl has a laundry list of things she won't eat, it fucking baffles me. I hated broccoli as a kid but if that's what mom made I ate it because the next meal was never a gaurantee.

12. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a kid in our school district die last year because she ate a peanut during recess (still not clear if a classmate gave it to her or she found it on the ground). They think it's possible she could have lived if the staff had been more equipped and trained to respond. Since then our county has been much more strict about outside food, as well as making sure to be equipped for an allergic reaction.

I have a friend who homeschools her daughter because her nut allergy is life-threatening. She's one of those ones where just the residue flying through the air can affect her - a few months ago someone opened up a granola bar nearby and she started getting puffy almost immediately. She works hard to make sure her kid has an active and social life, but there are certain things she can never experience - such as flying her daughter to visit her family in Brazil.

13. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Today is the last full day of school before baby girl starts summer vacation. I used to not understand why my parents looked so annoyed around this time of year. Now I totally get it.

14. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't asked my fellow working moms if they feel the same way, but I actually enjoy the summer more than during the school year. During the school year we have to cram into the evening hours homework, soccer practice, and the church thing on Wednesday nights. Also, keep track of all the stuff that's due and sign up sheets and volunteering for shit and all the other stuff that seems to go on during the school year. What do we do in the evenings during the summer? Whatever we feel like, even if it is absofuckinglutely nothing!

15. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See the little girl is five. So she doesn't have any activities as of yet. Also she is an only child so when her mother is at work I will be her only source of interaction and play so my summer will be an endless cycle waking up at the crack of dawn to "good morning Tiny! Want to go to the park? Want to play the matching game? I'm hungry! Why can't I wear a dress? Why can't we set up the pool? Two hours isn't that long to play go fish." And its not that I don't love her but its a little rough being a five year olds entire source of interaction every day all day. When she's in school i can have a relaxed morning and be ready for her. Starting my day with a barage of enthused little girl energy is a little tougher to handle.

16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, I hear you. This is why in my town one of the biggest money makers for businesses is the summer camps and classes. Every year there are more and more options offered. They are also freaking expensive.

17. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Some townships offer free (or really cheap) day camps on a week-by-week basis. If you go to your township's website you might find something.

My 12-year-old son said earlier this week he set a goal for himself for the remainder of the school year. I know you're thinking perfect report card, do well at field day, etc. Nope.

Son: I've decided I'm not wearing shorts for the rest of the school year.
    Me: What? Why?
    Son: I don't know. Because.
    Me: Patrick, it was like, 95 degrees last week.
    Son: I know.
    Me: Do you have a thing against shorts in general, or just for the rest of the school year?
    Son: Just school.

I don't even know sometimes.

18. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weird. I haven't seen either of our boys with shirts or shoes on in a week. They get home from day camp and strip. The front hall is littered with shirts and shoes when I get home. By the time we have to get them in for dinner they are caked in dirt and sweat.

They're urchins. Filthy little street urchins.

19. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like the twins. When I make them wear dressy clothes they are not amused.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our daughter turned 1 month old yesterday, so I used at as an excuse to have chocolate cake. She was seriously cranky for the first couple of weeks, then a few friends suggested my wife start changing what she eats and see what happens. Sure enough she cut out milk, caffine and spicy foods, and she started to get better, all last week which i took off to spend with the baby and the wife, and our daughter actually let us sleep in to 9-10am each day. So last night along with the chocolate cake we also had cheese cake, which my wife had a peice of, and guess what the baby did? Didn't let us sleep, wether that is just good timing or not we dont know.

She is probably going to be crawling around the 3 month mark and walking by 8(if not earlier) cause
    - For 2 weeks now
    - on her back she can roll onto her side and back to her back
    - on her stomach move her head from side to side to look around
    - if you have her squating and have her balanced say against your chest, she can stand her self up
    - on her stomach she and move a couple of feet either forward or backwards
    - For 1 week now
    - on her stomach she can roll onto her back
    - For a couple of days now
    - on her stomach she can for a prolonged period of time, lift her head up and look around

If her arms were a bit stronger she would already be crawling, on her stomach she can lift her ass up in the air, but she cant quite manage to lift her chest up.