Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TiB Meet-Up - It's a mid-west thang

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by McSmallstuff, Aug 11, 2011.

1. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If you really want hamburger, just jam a stick into the spokes of his vintage singlespeed as he flies by you through a stop-sign/red-light. I bet those skinny jeans are just aerodynamic enough to get some serious hang-time before his face is impregnated with asphalt.

2. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You two are my new favorite people in Minnesota. We need to drink pronto. My GF lives off the Greenway on Hiawatha and Lake (ghetto) but goddamn I can't believe how many of those single-speeds I see around there. We ride over to calhoun and pass so many of the types you describe on the way. Everytime I want to clothesline them.

Hell, Uptown may not be a bad idea after all; for the sole fact that we could make fun of the hipsters the whole time. Otherwise, my vote is for Nordeast or St. Paul (I'm biased, what can I say).

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will not go into downtown Minneapolis on my own free will. To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about the bar scene in either city. I tend to stick with the blue collar bars in St Paul where you can still get $2 beers, pull tabs, and have a good shot at winning a meat raffle. If I go to the bars, Halftime Rec or Joe & Stans is where I tend to stay.

4. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't mind avoiding downtown Murderapolis for the sole reason I think we'd have a way better time somewhere else.

5. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I wouldn't normally either, but being paid to be downtown for 8 hours a day is a pretty good incentive. Also, happy hour after work the past few weeks when it's been blisteringly hot out has been easy on the eyes - short skirts and heels as far as the eye can see.

I need to find myself a good blue collar bar, since I haven't yet found an adequte replacement for my beloved Anchor in Superior, WI.

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We could just loosen up the front hubs of their bikes too... then we could simply watch them ride away until they hit a bump and eat pavement. Less effort than jamming sticks in the spokes too. There are some hipsters in Nordeast but they are not as flamboyant as their Uptown counterparts.

7. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joe & Stans on W. 7th. It's right across the street from the old brewery.

8. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm only in for the Christmas holidays this year. But next summer I'll be out for like two weeks during the summer for my brother-in-law's wedding.

9. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God I love Target HQ. It's like a fashion show there, and the talent level is superb. I miss working downtown, I worked there until CVS decided to ship our headquarters to Rhode Island.

10. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to deeply miss the last two office jobs I had... shorts and flip flops were perfectly acceptable.

Nordeast would be good for a bar crawl considering the proximity of the bars there.

11. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

But will there be hipsters to punch?

Apparently I need to check out Joe & Stans, is the motion seconded?

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nordeast does have some hipsters... there is an art scene of sorts there so of course they're around, but I don't think they're as bad as the Uptown version. Regardless, there are Ray-Bans to shatter and fixies to fuck with. Nordeast hipsters have better tattoos too... if you want to see some sexy inked ladies, hit up Suzi's. There are some painfully hot servers there.

13. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually don't live too far from there to be honest. Never been there though.

14. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joe & Stans is a very happy place. There are meat raffles, cheap beer, and on Sunday mornings before Vikings games they have a breakfast buffet with some of the best cheesy hashbrowns on the planet.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Explain these meat raffles. They seem rather gay on the face of it.

16. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Motion has been seconded; motion passes. When works for ya'll?

17. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pay a buck for a number. When all of the numbers are sold, they spin the wheel. The winner gets to pick anything from a giant cooler of goodies straight from the local butcher. Repeat the game until all of the meat items have been won. They have steaks, chops, brats, ring bologna . . . everything. It's pretty much the coolest form of gambling ever invented.

I've got no say in it either way. My wife is due Oct 1, so I can't really make any plans. I might make it, I might not. I just gotta roll with it.

18. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Read, the anti-gay.

As far as the meet-up, I'm down for whenever. I try and keep my weekends open and just go with it. Thus, probably any weekend works (except for Aug 27th for a wedding).

19. Psychodyne

Psychodyne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Was just at Halftime the other day for a Tim Malloy's show. Fun place.

Working downtown Minneapolis is awesome for scenery, but sucks the money out of you fast for anything else. Rock Bottom is good as is The Local, and they're reasonable, but not cheap. I also like Town Hall Brewery and Sgt. Preston's. I'm not even close to a fan of Uptown, but Stella's isn't too bad, if you're on the roof. There really are several good options in places that aren't the suck, it just depends on where people want to go and how much, if anything, they're willing to pay for parking.

I feel bad for those of you who've never been to a meat raffle.

20. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aren't meat raffles just a Minnesota thing? I mean, I'd feel bad for people that haven't been here too, but I haven't heard of them elsewhere.

Sergeant Preston's is no more. It is now Preston's Urban Pub and holy shit do they have a beer list: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.prestonsurbanpub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.prestonsurbanpub.com/</a>