Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TiB Beer Thread

Discussion in 'All-Star Threads' started by rei, Dec 9, 2009.

1. samno33

samno33
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Lagunitas Censored - so delicious that the hippies that brew it used to call it The Kronik (until it was, you know, censored). http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/censored.html

St. Peter's IPA - tougher to find, but worth it when you do. An English style IPA (for those who don't like the extreme hoppiness of American IPAs) that I buy by the case when I find it. http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php

And for the American IPA lovers, DFH (60, 90, and 120 min) and Lagunitas have been mentioned, but Bear Republic's Racer 5 is amazing (http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php). Also, I'm not sure how widely available it is, but a new microbrewery in Boulder called Upslope has a good IPA in can (yes, seriously, a good IPA in a can!). http://upslopebrewing.wordpress.com/

2. Benny

Benny
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Well, I'm a cheapskate, so I primarily Drink Pabst Blue Ribbon. $3.50 for a sixer of Tall boys. Plus, It's Union made, and I am all about supporting my Union Brothers. If I have some money and feel like something good, I like a good hefeweizen. Widmer, Pyramid, and this one really good German one I had but can't remember what it's name was. They usually have it on tap at German restaurants. Also, I have seen a few post's about Rolling Rock. This used to be one of my favorite beers when I was single and could spend my money however the hell I pleased, but after they sold out their company, they changed the recipe, and the current rolling rock doesn't taste ANYTHING like it used to. I think the Pabst Blue Ribbon Company bought out Rolling Rock, I'm not sure though...... too bad, they really fucked up there.

3. Doli

Doli
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Don't do it! Celebration Ale is fantastic. If you don't like really hoppy beers, you won't like SNCA. It's a medium strength IPA - so naturally - if you're not a fan of IPAs, stay away. Don't pour it down the drain, give it to someone who appreciates something beyond medium lagers.

Or (better yet!), if you're interesting in expanding your pallet, stick the SNCA in the basement or pantry or something. Drink a lot of pale ales over the next few months. After those have gotten old hat - try some other IPAs. I recommend Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, Big Sky IPA and Sierra Nevada's own Torpedo IPA. Once you start liking those (or any other IPA, really), then give the Celebration Ale another chance. It's a seasonal brew that changes yearly, so don't be quick to toss it or discount it just because you haven't been exposed to (m)any IPAs.

4. gtmargie899

gtmargie899
    Expand Collapse

If you're new to hops rich beers you're probably not going to be a big fan. But, if you give it a second chance, or try your hand at a few less hoppy beers you might like it. The problem with jumping right into it without knowing what's coming is the sharp bitterness. I quite liked it but, that's just my opinion.

Beers I like include Newcastle Brown Ale, which is always enjoyable. Nothing crazy or out of this world but, I like it as a good go to beer. I'm never disappointed. I'm also quite fond of Yeungling. Both the Black and Tan and the traditional lager. I also like Golden Monkey mostly because I found it very smooth. It's a Belgian Tripel beer and it's sweeter than you would imagine a beer that's 9.5% alcohol by volume to be. The alcohol really sneaks up on you and the hops are pretty light. If you're not into hoppy beers this might be a good one for you to try. It's sweet and really enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

5. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

If you do this after a long enough time you'll lose that hoppy taste. Many beers I like to drink one and age one, but IPAs I drink as soon as possible. The longer they sit the more they lose their hop profile.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've come to the conclusion that I pretty much love everything by Bear Republic Brewing.

Their Racer 5 IPA is a prime example of the genre. The Hop Rod Rye is one of my favorite beers of all time. Even the Red Rocket Ale which I've discovered, upon a back-to-back tasting of all of their hoppy beers, is one of my least favorite - is still outstanding.

I can't recommend Hop Rod Rye enough; it's a piece of heaven, distilled, fermented, bottle conditioned and sold to the mortals lucky enough to taste its goodness.

I've made a few beers in the past few years with a friend's equipment. My girlfriend bought me brewing equipment for Christmas, though, so I expect my alcoholic tendencies to increase exponentially in the coming months.

7. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Love that beer, but man oh man wait til you've had Racer X. I've only seen it on tap, so if you're lucky enough to find it pull up a stool and drink til you can't taste anymore. Five pounds of hops per barrel! Ridiculous beer dude.

8. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just did a $90 beer haul from Knightley Spirits in Orlando. Easily, EASILY, could have spent three times as much.

Got J.W. Lee old ales vintages 199, 2007, 2008, and one aged in old calvados casks. How fucking cool is that? Beer that ages like wine.

Also picked up a Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel stout, De Dolle Belgian Strong Reserve and Stout, Bell's Cherry Stout and Third Coast Old ale, and a Cigar City Winter. Cigar City Brewery in Tampa is going to blow up. They appear to make solid, hearty brews; which is a very rare thing in Florida.

9. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good to see you again stab and you are dead right Boags draft is awesome although up here in Queensland i drink a lot more Boags premium.

As far as my favourite beer goes I'm originally a Kiwi and Waikato Draught is my favourite althougha few year ago i found this little brewery in the middle of Auckland called Shakesperes and the drop they produced was very tasty.

http://shakespearehotel.co.nz/beers.htm

10. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When I was in Cleveland for Christmas, I was able to get my fill of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It is always fantastic, but my best friend up there brought something to my attention after I was already gone as he just found out about this as well. He's lacking really reliable info as well.

He said he was told that one of the brew masters jumped ship over to Thirsty Dog out of Akron and took the Christmas Ale recipe with him. I was told that Thirsty Dog's 12 Dog's of Christmas Ale was extra spicy and like what GL's Christmas Ale was last year, with this years just not being as good as years before. This would make sense if the brew master responsible for it's goodness left.

Does anybody know anything about this? I've never had any of Thirsty Dog's beers and have a feeling that if this is true, this brewery might start upstaging Great Lakes.

Also, I've been hearing a lot about Bells, but haven't had any of their beers. A couple places in the area here stock some. Any suggestions. I'll pretty much drink most types of beers depending on mood, etc. so I'd be up for trying anything of theirs.

11. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just had a 2007 vintage Goose Island Bourbon Brand Stout. The smell of alcohol is overpowering in this beer and at 13% ABV its got quite a bite to it as well. Decent flavor mostly bourbon, very one note, and it has a heavy but smooth texture. Overall not a top tier bourbon barrel aged stout, IMO. The Bluegrass Brewing Company's Jefferson's Reserve B.B.S. still remains my favorite of the aged beers.

Edit:

Local watering hole has a few barrels of Bell's Double Cream Stout. This is a great beer, tons of flavors but very balanced. If you're lucky enough to be in Bell's distribution area, try everything they make. Awesome brewery.