Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

TiB Beer Thread

Discussion in 'All-Star Threads' started by rei, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently the brewery got really strict as to how much can be purchased as well as refusing to increase output. The terms of purchase is that you can not re-sale to a third party.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm

"Our beer is sold in limited quantities and the reservations which we accept are always for a particular type of beer. Since we want to serve as many customers as possible, orders are limited to one order per car per per telephone number within any given month.
    Anonymous numbers cannot be used.
    You yourself must be the consumer. The receipt stipulates that the beer is not to be sold commercially to a third party. We reserve the right to prosecute offences.

Our beer is sold by the crate, with 24 bottles per crate. Prices (excluding the deposit for the crate and the bottles) are:

Trappist Westvleteren Blond (5,8 % ABV) 28,00 euros
    Trappist Westvleteren 8 (8 % ABV) 32,00 euros
    Trappist Westvleteren 12 (10,2 % ABV) 38,00 euros"

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren_Brewery

I've had the Westy 12 and the 8 four or so years ago when they were both $12 a bottle (World of Beer in Tampa). Preferred the 8. Wasn't quite as hostile while still being incredibly complex. 12 needs to sit and mellow for a few months. There was a dude on the ratebeer forums that had several vintages, said they aged impressively. I'd love to have a few for my cellar.

2. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Had two Lagunitas IPAs before my last final of the semester and I'm a lightweight.

That may be me go-to beer as I slurred my way through my presentation and still got an A-. Rock on.

3. amjoyce

amjoyce
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm typing this from my local bar, so I aplogize for any...erm... errors.

Anyways, my personal favorite is battlefield bock brewed by red oak breweries in NC. It was formerly known as battlefield black and is roughly 8.5% alc. The chocolately, nutty, and java filled taste make this the smoothest and most refreshing way to get tanked.

Right now I am enjoying a He'Brew Jewbelation which is 13% alcohol (or 13.5, can't remember). It's an amazing stout with a very sweet aftertaste. Try it if you can find it.

4. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

13% brewed with 13 malts and 13 hops. This is their 13th anniversary beer. L'chaim!

Love Jeremy Cowan and everything He'Brew comes up with. These guys also brew the Coney Island beers. Coney Island Lager is one of my favorite session beers out there.

edit: I should point out that Jewbelation is a series of beers. This one is Jewbelation: Bar Mitzvah, which is their 13th. Every year the beer is different.

5. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yesterday I decided to cool off my Great Lakes Brewing (Ontario.. on the one in Cleveland) Winter Ale in a pile of snow, it cooled the beer off better than my effing fridge

[​IMG]

6. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Two of my favorite beers are in this morning-after photograph. Utica Club, brewed by the F.X. Matt/West End/Saranac Brewery (whichever name you want to call it) in Utica, NY, and Brewery Ommegang's Rare Vos. Got blackout drunk at a friend's after finishing my last final of the semester, and woke up to see this picture-waiting-to-happen in front of my bleary eyes.
    The Saranac brewery is just 15 minutes from home, and UC was the first beer sold after prohibition. As a 21 year old, I get strange looks from the 'old timers' drinking UC at the bar. They seem to think I'm too young to be drinking UC. Fuck 'em. It's good beer. Brewery Ommegang brews Belgian style beers in Cooperstown, NY. I've yet to have a bad brew from them.

Attached Files:

• subs.jpg
      subs.jpg
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
  7. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Had an Achel 8 Blonde, Westmalle Dubbel, Lost Coast Great White and split a 22 oz. bottle of Stone Smoked Porter this past Saturday. Not a bad one in the bunch.

They had a whole bunch of Unibroue's, so I'm hoping to try a couple of them next time. I can't go there too often as it can get really pricey.

I'm counting down the days, 3, until I get my first wonderful taste of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It's been way too long.

8. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hi, my name is Samr; I enjoy long walks on the beach and anything by DFH, Stone, or New Belgium. I have a serious question I'm hoping you drunkards can answer.

What is your favorite drinkable, cheap (think Bud, Coors, Miller etc), HIGH CALORIC beer?

I hate writing in all capital letters but the last part is extremely important. Over in the New Year's Resolution thread I posted this:

I'm relatively new to the (legally) drinking world, and my comfort zone throughout high school and fishing weather was Coors Light. So that's what I stuck with. But it's just not doing it anymore. For serious, medical reasons involving something called "idiopathic juvenile osteoporosis," I am in dire need of putting on weight; over the past few days and doctor visits it has been brought to my attention that -- since I'm flat not going to stop my excessive drinking -- I might as well help myself a bit and turn the drinking to my advantage.

I could have fun and blow cash just try absolutely everything I may or may not enjoy, or I could cut to the chase and see what y'all recommend.

[PM me if you have any specific question. And to head off the assumptions, yes, I am well aware that carbonation is terrible for the bones.]

9. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lately I've taken to drinking Henry Weinhard's Blonde and Premium beers. At $15 for a 12pack they're not ridiculously expensive and it's damn good beer.

11. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I came across this website, for those alcoholics among you that live in Ontario: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.beerdeals.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.beerdeals.ca</a>

I promise I'm not spamming. I'm just trying to save you all $4 on cases of Alexander Keith's.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But nothing gets the taste of a dead hooker out of your mouth like Alexander Keith's. From what I hear.

13. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your opinion is negated by their motto: those who like it, like it a lot.

Thing about Keith's is that, while I won't buy it from the store, it's usually the best beer most bars around here have on tap. Sleeman's is too upmarket, and everything else is Coor's/Bud/Canadian/Blue and their light varieties, plus Guinness, which I don't like and is usually expensive at the bars.

Fact: if I ever need a beer to do a boilermaker with, it's Molson Canadian. Otherwise, forget it.

Actually, if you're in Ontario, I highly suggest you try something from Cameron's. You can't go wrong with anything from them, but I particularly like the Auburn and Cream ales.

14. Pussy Galore

Pussy Galore
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Guinness is my go-to beer, at home or at a bar. Beyond that, I'd like to reiterate the greatness of both Left Hand Brewing and He'Brew [Schmaltz]. LH's amber ale and nitro milk stout are most notable in my book, and their St. Vrain's Tripel Ale is a bit bizarre, but an interesting try. He'Brew's amber and brown ales are extremely drinkable. Their Origins Pomegranate Ale is good for those that like a high grav. Lastly, kudos to my hometown brewery Sweetwater, for their work on the Dank Tank, particularly the BOBB (If I remember correctly, it stands for big ol' blue balls) blueberry Belgian light ale. So good.

15. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Keith's out in the west is now made in Creston (by Columbia Brewery, brewer of Kokanee), but it disturbs me that it says "Halifax, Nova Scotia, St Johns, Montreal, London, Edmonton, Creston" on the label, it's as if it's not JUST made at those two breweries.. but who knows. On the upside to the shift in production, the price of 24s have gone down $2/case, which is a first for beer prices to actually go down here in Manitoba, than go up.

As for my beer tastes, I never buy the same beer case back to back. One week I'll buy Kokanee, then Moosehead, Blanche de Chambly or La Fin du Monde, Sleeman Original Draught then Molson Dry for something cheap.

The best prairie brews come from Half Pints, I have never tasted beers from the prairies as delicious as what Half Pints Makes, Little Scrapper India Pale Ale, Humulus Ludicrous, St James Pale Ale and their successful annual Burly Wine beer. Mmmm!

16. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've collected all the different beers I've drank since I moved into my apartment since September. I now have 35 different bottles, and only just last week did I buy a six-pack of something that was already on the wall.

17. guy incognito

guy incognito
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I guess it's a Texas thing but I have to go with Shiner Bock for my current favorite

18. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Immersed in a culture devoid of human intelligence
    Dram Tree Scottish Ale from front street brewery is a great beer for those of us who like a thick and rich beer. Check out the website below and if your ever in Wilmington hit the place up, the food is good too.

<a class="postlink" href="http://frontstreetbrewery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://frontstreetbrewery.com/</a>

19. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last night I had three bottles of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. After three bottles (unfortunately, I didn't have any frosted mugs at the time), I am still undecided. There was a rough, crisp undertone that I couldn't figure out and I think that's what bothered me. Thoughts? Anyone else like this stuff, or hate it?

20. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Immersed in a culture devoid of human intelligence
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a good beer, that I enjoy every once in awhile. The celebration beer tasted the way I suspect an abortion would. It was a horrible beer and definitely not what I was expecting. I couldn't even finish it. Poured it down the drain and retreated to the security of Sam Adams Black Ale.