Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Thread Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Jul 8, 2013.

1. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Diamonds Are Forever

My girlfriend and I have been dating for over four years now and she recently opened up the discussion of getting engaged. Not the first time we've talked about it, but it was a little more serious now.

Now one of the things on my mind now is a ring. Some people think you should spend the equivalent of three months' salary on it, while others support the market for cubic zirconium.

Focus: Engagement rings. What's your story? How did you get yours? What would you do differently?

#101 katokoch, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Chellie

Chellie
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Current Events Thread

Instead of starting separate threads for things like the Olympics, Crimea, the missing plane, etc, discuss world events here in a running thread.

3. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

How do you spend your rainy day?

It sucks. It's rainy outside, and all plans are canceled. Or maybe it's snowing or hurricaning.

Focus: What's your protocol? Make manhattans and paint? Do some boring work shit? Recreate artistic works painstainkinly on grains of rice? Drink yourself to stupidity on mid-level scotch? Bone the nearest opposite sex until you forget your true reality? Post on a pseudo-anonymous messageboard until you feel social validation? Fall asleep without a true meal because it's easier? Put in after-work hours to validate your self-preserved image of importance? Watch TV because it's mindless? Watch your stocks because off hours trading is still important? Cook an elaborate meal because it's fun?

4. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe its possible to have a craft beer and liquor thread. Maybe place it in the permanent threads. Might not be a bad idea considering how many of us enjoy a fine craft brew every now and then.

5. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Perhaps the existing Home Brew Thread could be expanded to cover those topics? Seems a bit daft to have more than one tread for craft alcohol, beer and home brews.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could it be that there's an actual, honest-to-god alcohol thread that's probably on the second page that exists precisely to discuss these things?

Nawww...

7. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cutting the Cord

Directv keeps fucking up auto-pay, overdrawing my bank account and cutting my service off for non-payment. Between me and my wife we must have talked to them ten fucking times about this problem and it never gets fixed. Even they agree the problem is on their end yet they are constantly showing us behind when we are not. We cut our package down to the bare minimum and still we are still paying 120.00+ a month. No bundles. No extras. The equipment is great but the rest sucks sweaty gorilla balls.

So, for over a week now we have been going without cable. Aside from a little withdrawal from a bad cable addiction, I’m finding more choices for way less money. We’ve had a Roku stick for a while but have only recently discovered just how useful it is. For basic TV we are using a small indoor antenna and getting pretty good channel numbers and a better HD picture – I read something about cable companies compressing the signal causing a loss in picture quality, and I noticed it was clearer over the antenna right away. We aren’t getting enough channels to make it worth it so I’m getting a large multi-directional antenna for the roof with a 70+ mile range that should pull in nearly everything that covers a Basic cable package. We plan on picking up a TiVo Bolt tomorrow to be able to record our shows on the broadcast channels that come in perfectly.

For the cable withdrawal and fear of missing Better Call Saul I’m using the Sling app on my Roku and for 25 bucks a month I get all the cable channels I need. There are a few that are missing but not enough to cry over. It also has apps for Android and iOS devices. The Android version is really nice and functions perfectly. I also found a program called Playon that seems to turn a computer into a DVR. I looks like it gathers all the online content into one GUI and lets you record it to your hard drive and cast to your Roku. Not sure if it’s worth the 60.00 for lifetime use, but it has commercial skip and a few other good features. This also has Android and iOS apps that work beautifully. We already have Netflix and are toying with the idea of an Amazon subscription. We're two weeks into a 30 day free trial and Amazon is pretty much all we've watched in that time.

Focus: Anyone have experience or advice on cutting the cord? Am I missing anything?

Alt Focus: What are your electronics addictions?

Alt Alt Focus: Ever experienced crappy cable provider customer service or crappy customer service in general?

#108 E. Tuffmen, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016