Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

This Soup Is Terrible! (SOPA Thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What is being debated on changes to the law.

I guess they are trying to take out the DNS blocking provisions of the bill but three other provisions, according to the article will likely remain:

As far as the slippery slope arguments have went these are three of the biggest offenders. Have they talked about removing the 3rd party accusation/shutting down of sites part that people have really been upset with? Wikipedia is a really good start as far as going black to raise awareness. If google got on board and shut down it's sight for a day, probably a pipe dream, it would really garner some attention.

2. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My concern with this is that under section 1021 it states (bold is mine):

It is unclear to me who determines this or what are the parameters of this. That is very concerning. If you look at some of the memos produced by the FBI and DoJ here and here it's clear to me that there are groups who are being included under the terrorist activity umbrella for peaceful activity that the Government finds objectionable because it is incongruent with their ideology.

The second link I included tells me that if you are displaying the Gadsden Culpepper flag, buying ammunition and perhaps buying gold that you should be looking over your shoulder because big brother may be taking an interest in you. How far from that point is it before the activity goes from questionable to full-blown terrorist activity and you are now labeled as the "associated forces" who has committed a "belligerent act"?

To me, this is the slippery slope that people have warned about since the inception of the Patriot Act.

3. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

So Wikipedia is blacked out....except that everything is still accessible. You just have to click the stop loading button before it redirects to the blackout page. Sounds good to me...gets the point across while still maintaining usability for those with even a trace of intelligence.

4. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They also left the mobile site working, and there's always caches. Weak.

5. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're giving the casual internet user FAR too much credit.

For the record, I think all websites should disable functionality for the day. Can you imagine the shitstorm if Facebook went offline for a day to protest a bill? I'm of the belief that it'd be this generation's version of Walter Kronkite telling our parents that the Vietnam War was unwinnable.

6. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I fucking love The Oatmeal

[​IMG]

7. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just to show you how stupid people are: What happened to Wikipedia

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Some tweets off my least favourite internet site of them all.

Hold on to your butts:

I would just like to go on record as saying that these were Things That Were Said. And who says this generation is dumber than the others?

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don't like to double post on a non-drunk thread, but seriously-- READ THE QUOTES ABOVE, word for word. I believe "engineer" pops up.

We are all going to die.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Very compelling. Looking over list included points out some of the inaccuracies of public information, as well as the Quixotic irony in this "fight." A lot of general comments I heard were about MPAA and RIAA type complaints. Don't "steal" music or movies. Or, how YouTube would be impacted. But, didn't a lot of those companies support SOPA because they thought it would help fight internet trading and sales of counterfeit material? Like, Nike doesn't want people selling fake Nike shoes or golf clubs. That's different than the RIAA being mad that people share mp3's, isn't it? Instead of boycotting Nike, wouldn't it have more impact if you stopped buying fake Nikes?

I'm not asking to try and make a point, or support SOPA. It was dumb legislation. I just don't have enough information to process why Nike would support SOPA.

12. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Because you can currently sell your used Nikes on Craigslist or Ebay, and those are new Nike purchases that then don't happen.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

In that case, goodbye Craigslist altogether, as well as EBay and any other site where you buy anything preowned. Also, any meme that's ever been created would, by definition, become illegal.

14. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

It's the same mentality as the fight that occurred just recently between game developers and GameStop isn't it?

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, Megaupload was shut down for charges of piracy. If the Feds can already do that, what was the point of the new law?

16. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The point is to make you change your facebook picture and bitch about.

17. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Following the legal procedures for protecting your copyright is hard. I mean, you have to contact a lawyer and everything! It's so much simpler to just be able to shut down a site right when you make the charge, instead of having to wait for the legal system to "determine the facts" and such.

18. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this was a great explanation of why piracy is actually a good thing.

#78 E. Tuffmen, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spelling and grammatical issues aside, The Pirate Bay makes a few good points about anti-piracy legislation: <a class="postlink" href="http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt</a>

20. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I know this is difficult to swallow, given that we all know that our government is totally trustworthy and all, but this bill is not about piracy at all and we're silly to be discussing it as such. Just like other bills with such perfectly appropriate names such as the "no child left behind" act, and the "blue skies initiative," our friends in congress have wrapped a corporate-interest-friendly bill in a pretty title that makes it sound as though they're doing something with a pure and legal purpose.

But, read it. It seriously has very little to do with piracy, and the parts that do don't even address it in such a way that it will even work to stop piracy. This bill, and the PIPA bill, are about finding more ways to charge the user for use of the internet.