Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

These are my problem solvers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 18, 2019.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Inspired by this:

I think he does a great job. As far as essential tools, I would also add a fixed blade knife (a morakniv is cheap and worth its weight in gold), a good length of 550 cord, some kind of basic tool sharpener, and a flashlight.

Since I got my new leatherman, the re-designed FREE P4, I haven't left home without it and it's rarely out of arm's reach when I am in the house.

Of course, the definition of "tool" is open to interpretation, and each individual's needs vary.

Focus: What do you consider to be an essential tool? What are your problem solvers? Do wind your watch and pocket your zippo as soon as you wake up? Is there something out there -- like the rigging axe (I've always called it a carpenter's axe) -- that people are missing the boat on? Do you consider your steel-toe boots a hammer?

Alt. Focus: What tools do you think are completely unnecessary that others consider essential? Still swear by your old red Swiss Army Knife and think the Leatherman (and Gerber, SOG, etc.) pliers-based platform is overrated? Your facebook filling up with people talking about the rolling knife and now you want something pointy just to stab them with?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Honestly a good, high lumen flashlight. I keep one in my bedroom, in my car, and in my basement and have needed each of them in many situations that had nothing to do with power outages. Always good to have around and one of those things that you never really notice until you need it.

3. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Overrated: high lumen flashlights

Underrated: high quality headlamps

Flashlights have their place, but more often than not, the times you need a flashlight you also likely need to use both of your hands.

Also, a high lumen count doesn't do you any good if it doesn't focus into a beam that'll throw the light a meaningful distance.

Hands down, an LED light beat filament bulbs for durability.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If I were to pick five small ones, I’d go with:

- an index of Allen keys
    - needle-nosed pliers
    - an adjustable wrench
    - 1-pound ball peen hammer
    - portable flood lamp

A wood hatchet is also a great tool. Have a good one, keep it sharp.

Alt-Focus:

Philips and flat-head screwdrivers. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooou. Why use the vastly superior and ready-landed Robertson when you can strip screws that cant be replaced? These two stupid screwdrivers should strictly be reserved for shanking motherfuckers in the Joint.

#4 Crown Royal, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Co-sign on the screw drivers. I’ve only known the square heads as deck screws, don’t know why, but I agree they are vastly superior. Torx can suck my dick. Hate messing with those things on my guns especially.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate small hex keys they strip so easily just stripped a set screw with a 1.5mm hex key

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Ball-end hex keys are your friend. They won’t necessarily solve your stripping problem (only years of therapy can do that), but they will make life easier. Also, Father’s Day is coming up so it’s a good excuse to go amazon shopping or down to the local big box store. A good set of ball-end SAE and Metric hex keys is money well spent.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well this is for around the house, I have a decent headlamp for night hiking, outdoors and coal mining purposes. But I get your point on beam focus. The one on my nightstand can legitimately blind someone if shone in their eyes for more than a few seconds.

9. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ball end can be problematic as well, they tend to be slightly smaller than the straight end and can still rotate inside the fitting.

10. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll play. These are the things that I use every day, and never leave home without (in case you didn't know, I'm a mechanic):

- Knife. You never know when you're going to need a sharp object.
    - Mini Maglite flashlight. You never know when you'll have to read a small part number, or look inside of a dark space.
    - Snap On (TM) low profile ratchet. This thing will get where no other 3/8" drive ratchet will, and it has a very smooth 80-tooth design.
    - Snap On (TM) mini screwdriver. I got this thing from a Snap On rep who made a presentation to my diesel technology class 17 years ago. This thing is invaluable for springing tiny clips on electrical connectors that are too tough for a finger nail, and you can actually use it for surprisingly large screws.

11. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What, no Hi-Points?

For things I carry daily:

Kershaw Blur pocket knife
    Small Pelican 1AAA LED flashlight
    Leatherman Micra
    Prybar multi-tool on my keychain.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's what I was referring to when I said that the definition of "tool" is open to interpretation. I almost always have either my glock 19 (9 mm), Taurus .40 caliber, or .357/.38 special revolver either on me or within arm's reach depending on need and circumstance. For me, it's a tool, and it is definitely a problem solver. Though obviously there's a certain connotation that goes along with firearms, and I understand that people under different circumstances will view it -- and sometimes, accordingly, me -- differently if not negatively. Not sure how much down that particular rabbit hole I wanna go, as it's been debated before on this board and is kinda one of those things where no one changes their mind and everyone leaves pissed off.

Aside from that, I also always carry my leatherman (FREE P4), a knife of some kind (I'm a fan of CRKT, especially the Squid), a streamlight stylus pen thing, a pilot G2 black pen, and a spyderco bug on my keychain just because it's cute.

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Same. My ex's friends gave it to me for Christmas 25 years ago because they couldn't think of anything else to get me. It's been the handiest thing I've ever owned.....even the scissors. That was back when I worked as a glazier and they were invaluable for cutting gaskets and even thin wire. 25 years later it's still going strong.

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also a mechanic and carry all of the above and would add that the smallest pair of Knipex cobra pliers to the list, they are handy for all sorts of odd jobs. Add a small o ring to the handle so it doesn’t open in your pocket and your good to go.

KNIPEX 87 01 125 Cobra Pliers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EXOKKE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UbM7CbC0BCEAQ

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Knipex is good shit. Lasts forever too. Little costly sometimes, but it’s always worth it.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will add a Leatherman MUT. I've had issues with smaller ones slipping out of my pocket never to return. Not so with the MUT.

These days I carry a fountain pen as I just enjoy writing with it so much more. It's still disposable, so I don't fuck with ink spilling, but so nice.

I have a weird little Gerber tool on my key ring, and an ever-escalating series of "Oh-Shit kits" in my work bag (laptop repair, charging anything made in the last 8 years, presentation controls), gym bag (a whole bunch of things to not smell, spare towel, undershirt/underwear, tablet and kindle) to my car where I'm pretty sure I could survive for 4 days out of my damned Prius.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Gerber Dime? Amazing little bugger. I also had mine on my keyring, used it until the scissors wouldn't cut anymore and the knife needed sharpening. But for about $20 I got my money's worth out of it several times over.

My truck is basically a mobile workshop at this point. I have every tool I might need in it short of my welder. If I ever get stuck and I have my truck with me, I'm pretty damn certain I could build a shelter that would pass inspection in most municipalities. I certainly wouldn't want for food, as I can and have used what is normally in it for hog hunting in a pinch (I don't recommend hunting with a glock 19, but if you see a feral hog on your property, you kill it).