Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Therapy at 166 below zero.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trakiel, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So apparently cryotherapy is a new thing:

The whole story sounds like nothing but pure quackery, “The shocklike extreme cold stimulus, and the severe reduction in skin surface temperature over minutes, brings about a cryogenic influencing of the functions of neural structures as well as induction of neuroreflexive process that exert effects on various regulatory pathways,” explains the spa’s manual and high-tech therapy manager, Christophe Fautrier.

Personally, I'd be curious to try just for the experience of being in a -166 degree chamber, irrespective of the supposed health benefits. I wonder how many people have actually tried it for that reason alone.

Focus: Would you ever try this? Have you had any experiences with alternative medicine, and if so what were the results?

Clutch likes this.
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its not exactly quackery, but its definitely fringe treatment. People dont get frostbite from it unless something comes in contact with their bare skin. I would give it a shot, sounds cool.

[​IMG]

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

An FB friend of mine was doing it and said he felt it helped some of his sports injuries, but then he went all conspiracy theory and blocked almost everyone but his inner circle on FB so I don't know if it long term helped

4. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck that noise, if I want cryotherapy I can sit outside in January.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joe Rogan never stops pimping this. I'd have to see some pretty obvious benefits found from the research community not just because it's a new fad. Im guessing it is pricey as fuck too. I thought I was getting tendonitis in my elbows again I rubbed a huge knot out of each of my triceps and I am basically pain free. Who needs absolute zero temps?

I tried the whole bullet proof coffee thing since it was supposed to be a revolution in coffee drinking. I just got a stomach ache from the huge amounts of fats. Bunch of bullshit. Two tablespoons of butter does make for a good cup of coffee but I think you're supposed to skip breakfast if you drink it. Anyway Ive also tried a few green shakes, haven't gone full bore on them though. Joe Rogan's hulk load and an avocado one. Barely choke down the first. The fresh ginger and garlic does seem to settle my stomach and I do feel more energetic after drinking them.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Is it this or a deprivation tank that Rogan always raves about? Or is it both?

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It's not a deprivation tank, it's different. A deprivation tank is essentially a big dark egg with warm water you float in with zero sound or sight.

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Other than threatening a podiatrist who tried to sell my mother a set of magnets to align her chakra or some shit, I tend to steer clear of eastern/middle eastern/ wikkan/new age "alternative" therapies. Stuffing a crystal up my urethra to cure my snoring doesn't sound comfortable.

10. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But I bet it'll stop you from snoring.

11. LongVin

LongVin
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Once after being shown a sensory deprivation tank I stated that it looked like a coffin and I would bug the fuck out if I ever went in one. I was then told having a session in the tank would "cure" my claustrophobia. I laughed and laughed. Because, yeah, sticking me naked in a pitch black water filled tomb is totally going to relax me.

12. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This shit is stupid, they're not actually being exposed to those low temps. Those conditions would essentially give them cold burns. Whats happening I imagine is they're being exposed to a cold frosty air thats probably warmer than the lows in Minnesota in the winter.

If people really want to experience this effect, the Russian bathhouse is apparently the way to go. First the person does the sauna then jumps in the cold lake. I imagine that get the circulation going.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

For what it's worth Floyd Mayweather uses (used?) cryotherapy during the training for his last fight, and swears by it.

http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/04/...sing-cryotherapy-to-train-for-manny-pacquiao/

I've got to think that even if there haven't been any scientific studies or conclusive results found, if he's doing it and he says there is a huge difference in his post-training recovery and injury rate, that there might be something to it.

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think there is something to the whole Russian/Finish bana thing. I think it makes sense that cold shocks kind of force the body into a response that may/may not release endorphins and increase circulation. If anyone here has jumped into a cold lake they know how that effects you and somehow despite being miserable is refreshing and energizing.

If endorphins promote healing then it makes sense. If an adrenaline rush makes someone feel better (and it tends to) I believe his claims. At the end of the day perception is reality and placebo really does effect a person as much as a drug. So if it works fuck it why not, whats the harm.