Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Them foreigners sure know how to eat!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Aug 11, 2012.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Ethnic foods you must try. What are your little-known foods that need to be recognized for their deliciousness?

My favorite food in Honduras was called a baleada. It was a giant, thick flour tortilla filled with eggs, sausage, refried beans and hot sauce. You could add nearly anything: mantequilla, avocado, tomatoes and it would still be utterly delicious. The best was when it was thrown on a grill for 30 seconds before you ate it. Heavenly.

In Indonesia, it was babi guling, or their version of barbecue. Slow roasted, stuffed with spices, and so moist and tender you would think it wasn't fully cooked. Life-changing, I don't think NC, SC, or TX barbecue will ever be as good.

2. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Czarnina. Polish duck soup made with the duck's blood. I had a great aunt who made it and she and I were the only ones who would eat it. My parents and siblings couldn't get past the whole blood thing. When I was little, she would take me to the poultry market in town and have me pick out two ducks, she'd give the butcher a jar and he'd disappear into the back. I'd go to the door and peer in as he decapitated them, drained the blood into the jar, then dressed the ducks (I really miss having a fresh poultry market).

Awesome stuff.

3. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Xiao long bao:
    [​IMG]

If you know a lot of Chinese people you're probably aware. It's a Shanghai dim sum dish with pork and a pork soup inside a little dumpling, eaten with a vinegar and ginger sauce. It changed my life. It can be hard to find outside of major china towns, but a lot of asian grocers carry frozen packages. I can eat this every day. Generally the thinner the skin, the fresher and higher quality they are.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Damn beat me to it, quick little fucker. Yes, these things are the shit. I used to eat it three-four times a week at a street shop near my place in Shanghai. There is also a deep fried version that is good drunk food as well but are hotter than molten lava and drunk eating never ends well. The steamed version is perfect hangover food.

Also, if you're in Shanghai, Di Shui Dong ribs can't be missed. A dry rubbed rib heavily spiced with cumin. There is one half assed recipe Ive found on the internet but it's not even close to how good they are. Ive heard they are braised, smoked, and finally flash fried before serving.

[​IMG]

Lastly, Sichuan cooking, Gong Bao Ji Ding or kung pao chicken. The real deal. They use ungodly amounts of dried red chilis and sichuan pepper corns (which numbs your mouth in an odd coke/Novocain sort of way.)

[​IMG]

5. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greek Tripe Soup; traditionally eaten on the breaking of lent at Easter is also reputed to be a great hangover cure.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magiritsa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magiritsa</a>
    <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe_soup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe_soup</a>

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The McDonald's around here serves those. They call them breakfast burritos. You can get two of them with hadhbrowns and coffee for $4.50

7. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There’s a good Caribbean/Trinidadian place about a 45 minute drive from me (Midland and Lawrence) that sells Doubles. It’s a little sandwich where the dough is fried and inside are curry chick peas. I’ve made the drive to satisfy my craving several times and turned many friends into believers.

Here’s a picture of one of the leftovers I teased a friend with:
    [​IMG]

I swear, the lady at the shop plays games with the pepper. I’ll ask for medium, but never really know what to expect. Sometimes it's hardly there, but other times she’s vicious and I'll be sweating or taking breaks. Still delicious though.

8. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I've had an obsession with these things for a few years now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found them in a little Russian grocery store that I used to live near in Boston, and they are so delicious. The whole wrapper was in Russian, though, so I had absolutely no idea what they were. The only thing that was in our alphabet was the speech bubble of the little panda mascot saying "Pum purum!" So I would call them that. I thought that they were chocolate-covered frozen cheesecake bars with a center of black currant filling. Years later, I finally hit just the right combination of words to Google and discovered that they're called Tvorozhnie Syrki and are actually made of cottage cheese. Ew. But whatever, they're still delicious and I still love them. The only thing is that I have scoured Brighton Beach for these goddamn things and not a single place seems to stock them, and no one that works there speaks enough English for me to ask about them. They may be the only thing that Boston has that New York doesn't and I'm outraged.

9. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Korean food is hardly fringe, but I find a lot of people don't know about it even though it's fairly accessible.

Skip the tabletop barbecue shit, that's for people who are easily amused and have little taste. Go for the bulgoki instead. Marinated beef, onions, carrot, garlic, sesame oil and hot sauce. Fucking delicious. And the literal translation is "fire-meat" which is pretty awesome.

There are some other excellent things to be had, like bibimbap, as well.

Also, the Koreans are not our mortal economic enemies.

10. Candles

Candles
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

There's an amazing Ethiopian restaurant I go to all the damn time (It's the Queen of Sheba in Kentish Town for any Londoners. GO. Right now!)
    [​IMG]

now, it may look like various lumps of brown mush. But the masses of spicy curries and vegetable dishes served on the sour flat bread are delicious. You eat it by picking it up with the bread. And then when you've eaten everything, you eat the plate, which is now soaked full of meat juices.

11. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cabeza tacos are possibly the best tacos I have ever consumed, cabeza means head in spanish and these tacos are made from the meat of a cows head, they slow cook the whole thing for hours untl the meat is fall off tender and throw it on some corn tortillas with onions and cilantro. Not many places make this stuff it is mostly mom and pop places but it is worth it.

Attached Files:

12. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There's this Portuguese recipe called arroz de cabidela (giblet(?) rice) where the first step is kill a chicken, drain the blood, and everything but the feathers gets used. That's the first thing I'll be eating when I go back there.

13. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Roti Prata
    [​IMG]

I used to eat it constantly in Singapore (where the food is incredibly cheap btw. Unless you go to a nice restaurant you can pretty much eat out for the same price you would cook for and the food is delicious.) It's like a pancake put it's made with mostly flour. I can only describe it as an incredibly soft and light tortilla. The sauce you get with it looks like the most vile dhiarhea i've ever taken but it's far more delicious.

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Flat Top Grille, for anyone who lives in the Midwest, has this as a side. Its basically a Mongolian BBQ place, but the addition of Roti makes it super clutch. This stuff is amazing.

15. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ethiopian restaurant, huh? I always thought that was just a gag. You'd walk in the door and they'd seat you. You sit there a while with flies landing all over your face and stuff while sad music and messages from Sally Struthers begging for money play over the intercom. About 3 hours later after your stomach distends and you're so hungry you can barely move, they tell you that the food is gone until the next relief truck arrives.

That's the true Ethiopian dining experience.

16. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was served a phenomenal meal by a Somali family when my family had dinner with them a couple years ago. Same story... using flatbreads to scoop up food but they mainly had meaty stews. If you mention Eastern African food you cannot leave out sambusa. Crispy, fried pastries filled with spicy, savory ground meat with minced onions and stuff. There is never enough sambusa. I love it.

Focus: Feijoada... Brazil's national dish. I ate a ton of it when I was in Sao Paulo.

[​IMG]

You simmer black beans with sausage and/or other meats for hours and serve over rice. It is very simple and uncomplicated yet delicious and completely satisfying. Super filling too. Of course you can thank Brazil for the churrascaria-style steakhouses like Fogo de Chao but feijoada stands out to me as more unique and culturally significant.

17. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's pretty basic, but:

[​IMG]

eating one of these (with gravy and a sweet potato) in a Bavarian beer hall smashing down steins of beer was one of the food highlights of my European trip last year. German men have it easy - beer and meat.

18. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Don't know if Persian/Iranian cuisine is considered "little known" or not, but it is definitely my favorite ethnic food. The dish I like the best is the Barg Kabob and Rice, which is thin slices of marinated filet mignon, skewered and cooked on an open flame. Normally served over a bed of super fluffy Basmatti rice.

Another great Persian dish is Zereshk Polo and Chicken. It's barberry saffron rice, served with chicken.

Persian ice-cream is also fantastic. They use rose water for flavoring and aroma, so the first time you try it, it may seem a bit weird, but it grows on you very quickly.