Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Workout/Exercise thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Crown Royal, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There's no way I can eat 150+ grams of protein a day without these shakes.

2. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't buy them. Make them. Get some protein powder, some good fruit, some 2% milk and make them. At least then you'll have some control over what you're consuming. I dunno man, I don't trust a lot of pre-made stuff.

3. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You need to be consuming about 262 gs of protein a day for optimal growth. Protein heavy meals, shakes between meals and load up on water before bed so you wake up to piss and have a shake.

Making your own is definitely the best bet. I bought a few cases of Myoplex, and between having to look at Matt Hasselbeck on the carton and the vileness of that concoction I went back to the big Dave deluxe shake.

2 scoops whey
    1 banana
    1 large scoop natural 'do I really have to stir it up?' peanut butter
    3 or 4 eggs
    Milk

I have picked up that the body can only absorb 40-50 gs of protein at a time, which may be wrong (I'm not looking it up now), so make sure you're spacing it out.

Sleep and grow, brother.

4. JDTheHero

JDTheHero
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Two things:

I just bought a set of resistance bands, and am having a hard time finding exercises that suit my needs. I am trying to cut 15 lbs of fat, while adding muscle to my chest and back. I already have a weight regimen, but I was told that using the resistance bands will help me tone everything up as I am adding the muscle to make it more defined. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Secondly, I am allergic to eggs, therefore fucking me for a lot of the protein shake ideas. Does anyone have a protein shake they make themselves that does not contain any egg proteins at all? Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone send me a fucking lmgtfy, you'll go down as the biggest fucking comedian I have ever seen. I'll try my damnedest to get you an HBO special with Carlos Mencia. Fag.

5. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You were misinformed. Bands aren't going to do anything to help you with weight loss that sweating and raising your heart rate won't do. If anything, use them for some high rep accessory work at the end of your primary exercises. Things like tricep extensions (band pushdowns), band pull-aparts, and x-band walks are good ones.

Bands will, however, help make you a lot stronger by using them for accomodating resistance on exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses, etc.

6. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Don't listen to people who talk to you about toning and defining like something other then a sensible regular work out will have an impact. They're wrong and usually stupid or selling something.

Muscle Definition is just a reflection of body fat percentage or excess skin if you've lost a bunch of weight. Passage of time or cosmetic surgery are your options for dealing with the excess skin. Presumably you already know how to decrease body fat and increase your muscle mass.

Anyone who says you can 'tone' your muscles is a liar trying to sell you a program, or is just misinformed. Your muscles can grow or atrophy, but genetics determines the way they look after those changes. All you can influence is how quickly they change.

7. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't do a proper dead lift without putting strain on my back. Instead I've been holding the bar, and having the bar go down until I feel the stretch in my hamstrings, then pulling it back up (of course keeping my back straight). Is that as effective as doing a dead lift? I even put the bar (plus 1 45 lb weight on each side) on small blocks to try and start higher off the ground but it's still making me bend my back to pick it up so I'm not doing it.

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Post a vid of you doing a standard deadlift. THat's the only way to tell if/what you're doing wrong.

Most people don't realize that the deadlift IS a back exercise. It is meant to give you a strong back. You should be feeling strain in your back. It's not a leg exercise.

9. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sounds like you're doing stiff leg deads or something. I don't understand when you say you're bending your back to pick it up and you're putting it on blocks to get it higher off the ground because you have to bend your back to pick it up. Are you trying to keep your legs straight the whole time and then having to bend over to reach the bar?

10. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Check your form is the best advice. But what about the most obvious... use less weight?

11. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Starting to workout again and I have a couple questions if you kind people can help me. First let me tell you about myself I am 5'10 about 160 pounds. I have been relatively skinny my whole life up til about a year ago when my beer gut slowly set in. Now I have small arms and legs with a huge soft center.

Now comes what I want to change. I obviously want to lose the beer gut and the soft center but I also want to bulk up everywhere else. I wouldn't mind weighing 180 as long as it was muscle. So whats the best way to lose my beer gut and bulk up? Is there certain kinds of food I need to eat?
    Any help would be awesome thanks in advance.

12. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For whatever it's worth, guys, the Chasing Kaz forum from RMMB has its own forum now: InStrength

Might interest those of you who want to get some more in-depth information. As you may remember from TMMB, Chasing Kaz is no bullshit, pretty much all the info there is reliable. Hopefully that link is of value to someone.

13. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the plug. There isn't a whole lot of discussion there right now, mainly because no one is asking questions. I'm not one to proselytize about training philosophy, but will certainly offer advice when asked.

14. TreDay

TreDay
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Not sure if this exactly belongs here but while I was lifting weights today I was in my last set and in the middle of the exercise it felt like my shoulder popped out of socket and then immediately back in. Now I'm having soreness with any rotating movement and raising my arm above shoulder level as well as a "hot" sensation in the shoulder area. I'm guessing that it was a minor dislocation or something like that but my question is do I need to see a doctor? Or should I just rest it for a bit, pop some Ibuprofen and let it work itself out? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

15. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's most likely a subluxation. While not a dislocation, it still requires rest and ice. It happened to me a while back. The first few days it hurt like a mother. About a week later, it was 100%.

If, after a few days of rest there isn't any marked improvement, see a doctor.

16. theRookie

theRookie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Agreed with the above.

Once it calms down:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab</a>

17. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a weird shoulder thing where it hurts to bench and do things like flyes. Incline doesn't really bother it too much. I've been doing hammer strength chest and dips and things like that because they don't hurt at all. I think I'll try the diesel crew rehab for a few weeks and see how it goes. Thx for posting.

18. theRookie

theRookie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you're having problems with those exercises specifically, you're probably not retracting your shoulders and providing a "shelf" to press with. When you bench, you want to be squeezing your shoulder blades together and tucking them into your pockets (together and down.) If you aren't doing this, you're just asking for injury. You probably also have over-developed "beach muscles" which is exacerbating the problem by pulling your shoulders forward.

One of the best things you can do for that is to throw some inverted rows into your routine.

19. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just started running in April and followed the Couch to 5K running plan. I ran my first 5K on the 4th of July then crapped out in training, I am back to 2 miles and working my way back up to 3. I am doing a Warrior Dash Columbus Day weekend & want to run a 10K in November. Does anyone have a plan, or know of one, for a 10k similar to the Couch to 5K? I have seen a few online, but they weren't quite what I wanted. I mostly run on a treadmill, so one tailored to that would be awesome. Thanks on advance!!

20. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm just starting to get into working out and wondered what a common two day workout split was. I know you're supposed to do chest and triceps on the same days (I think)? I think I've also heard back and biceps? I don't really know. When do you do shoulders? Help a noob please.