Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anyone familiar with the Jet JJ-6OS 6" jointer? I found one on Craigslist at a great price, and am taking a look at it on Friday.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My first paid woodworking/building job:

I built two almost identical ref stands, one with red trim/umbrella, one with blue.

It's all 2 x 6 construction, and the chairs are mounted on seat swivels and pedestals from Bass Pro Shops. The front of the platform is attached to a 4 x 4 post, and two u-bolts from Summit Racing which are designed for lifting full-size trucks 4 inches hold them to the white posts. The white posts are set in sleeves which are set in 24" diameter concrete 8' deep. The platform is 7' off the ground.

Basic measurements: Platform is 44" x 44", with the front piece trimmed at a 45 degree angle so as not to affect game play. Stairs are at a 22.5 degree angle, 33" wide. They are anchored to a platform which in turn is attached via 4 sets of u-bolts to the light stand. I only had 7' to work with, so that's why the angles are so tight.

The umbrellas are mounted in 1' tall, 1 1/2" threaded pipe screwed into a floor flange, which in turn is bolted through the stand. They need to be taken off and painted so they aren't an eyesore, and I am going to cut off the top threads so they aren't totally obnoxious.

Total cost in materials for the two stands is right around $900, labor time is around 155 hours including design and drawings. There are a couple things to fix (I had to throw together some quick mounts for the truck u-bolts to have them up in time for play last night, other minor detail work).

Chair during build phase. I did a rough design and just kinda figured it out as I went. It has been all bolted together, the edges sanded down, water-sealed, then polycoated.

Blue platform while I was fitting the trim pieces. Again, the whole thing has been water-sealed, and the colored trim pieces have been polycoated, too.

Attached Files:

3. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I want to build this for the GF's birthday:

I have some woodworking experience and can get access to most of the tools i imagine ill need.

I dont have any plans or anything so im going to have to build from scratch myself. Im thinking a basic framework to rest the garden beds in and provide drainage and then clad the outside with a nice wood.

Realistically how long do you think this will take to do?

Any tips or ideas for the design would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry I didn't see this much sooner. That actually shouldn't be too awful. I can sketch you out a plan for it.

I'm buying new bandsaw blades today, pinewood derby is coming up. There is a "Parents and Siblings" bracket, so I will of course win that.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm thinking of making a bed, and wouldn't mind basing my design off of this bed; <a class="postlink" href="http://www.custommade.com/japanese-garden-queensize-bed/by/montana-fine-furniture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.custommade.com/japanese-gard ... furniture/</a>

I've never built a bed before, and I'm not exactly sure how to go about designing it. Especially the joinery at corners, since I need the bed to be able to be disassembled and moved if need be. Also wouldn't mind suggestions on what species of wood to use. I need to keep it affordable, but no point investing this much effort without stepping up from pine to something like Tiger Maple or Cherry or Walnut.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that for something like that, you are building three "solid" pieces, then bolting them together: The headboard is one piece. The end is the second piece. Then the sides are probably built with a platform connecting them, and it all bolts together.

I would also be totally not surprised to find there is some sort of center base that is basically hidden from view unless you look under the bed.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what kind of hardware and joints are used. I was thinking mortise and tenon joints pretty much everywhere; glued where they'll be permanent (such as on the headboard) and with some kind of bolt where they can be broken apart. For the slats I'm not sure if I could get all the way across with curved slats, and if so, how to build the rail they rest on.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I really like the way that looks Aetius. I need a headboard for our bed too. Your project is far beyond my skill level, I was thinking about doing a project converting an old door into a headboard. I need to find a guide online. Has anyone done this before?

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Years ago, I "restored" a bed. The head and footboard were in good shape, so I made a few repairs and just refinished them. I didn't have the rails though. All I did was cut to length 2 1x6, and added a 1x1 on the bottom inside. (Stained to match.) Then I used something like this:
    bracket on the ends.

I used 1x4's for the slats, and I used threaded rod across the middle to prevent the rails from bowing out. That was just a full size bed, but I think it would work for Queen, too. As long as the box springs rest on the rails instead of the slats, you're fine. If it's King size, you'll have to do something different though.

10. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not all lumber yards will carry the quantity you'd need of woods like that, but if you can find a bigger place that has stacks of first common or select grade lumber you can save money by hand picking good boards. For carving I'd use cherry first and walnut second, but both are very durable and would look great. Maple will be very light in color unless you dye or stain it and the really curly stuff can be more challenging to carve. If you want really premium stuff it would be expensive, but I'd personally use claro walnut.

11. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah i am, not for the GF's birthday anymore (i went the easy route and got her a diamond necklace) but still something i want to do this year.

A sketch would be freaking awesome man! Cheers

12. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My husband just finished making me a harvest table, and I'm in love with it. Saved us a shit ton of money, and it looks exactly the way I want it to. I picked up the six chairs at a local garage sale for $20 and then we painted them and scuffed the shit out of them. He's not happy with the finish (because he's a crazy perfectionist when it comes to his work), but they look good to me.

The table is actually more distressed than you can see in the pictures, because of the glare. That was my job. He let me beat the shit out of it with some tools.

Attached Files:

13. archer

archer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Recently built myself a workbench from scratch, pretty pleased with the results and now have a space to make more shit!

Treated pine for supports (2x4's for frame and 4x4's for uprights) and 18mm plywood for tops. All up cost me about $300 (which includes a couple of tools i didn't have) and a long weekend to complete to this stage (i want to build some wall storage on the right hand wall; drawers and nooks for various bits and pieces).

Attached Files:

14. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: The Woodworking Thread

[​IMG]

Farmhouse table with matching benches, matching coffee and end tables still to be built.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Table and benches finished

[​IMG]

Coffee table finished

[​IMG]

I don't have a joiner/planer/clamps/table saw so the breadboard ends don't fit to my liking but the wife loves it so thats all that matters.

16. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just picked up and assembled my christmas present

[​IMG]

Gotta make miter and crosscut sleds for it now, then maybe some cabinets for my garage.

17. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That's a nice saw, I have the same one.

18. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

End tables finished, again simple farmhouse style, no frills stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New workbench for the garage

[​IMG]

20. Unibrow

Unibrow
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

Before and after pics of a lineberry cart I redid.

Attached Files: