Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I built a workshop table once that was stacked 2 x 4s, and I planed four 2x4s at a time to do it. I screwed 4 together, planed them, then took 2 of them and 2 new 2 x 4s and planed them to match. It was not a quick process, but it came out pretty well enough that belt sanding them got it very nice. Could that approach work here?

2. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A guy that makes a lampshade out of a log. For those of you that like working with wood might get some type of wood-like reaction from this video:
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/LgsDWb0orSQ[/youtube]

3. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A pictorial step-by-step of building a tobacco pipe
    http://www.dmpipes.com/pictorial.html

Also, I have a table saw that needs some rehabilitation. The trunnions and arbor assembly are solid as all fuck, and I just replaced the motor last year...but the wings aren't cast iron and the rip fence wobbles. I know Beisemeyer is considered the measure with which all other fences are measured; what else is out there on the market? Does anyone know of a reliable place to get cast-iron wings?

My Google-fu is strong, I'm just looking for an opinion that has experience with either of these to back it up.

4. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What kind of tablesaw is it? Can you post a pic?

5. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't actually have the saw with me at the moment, since it's still up north - I'm hoping to bring it home in the next month or so. This is the best picture I could find:

Attached Files:

6. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hmm. Kind of a tough one - I don't know that make of saw, so finding cast iron wings is kind of hit-or-miss if you want to see about fitting delta or powermatic wings, maybe. You might also try Saw Stop - they're near you and very nice people to deal with. If any of those are the right outside size you could always re-tap and fit them to your saw.

You could use a delta unifence or a beisemeyer, or one of the many knock-off third party fences, but be careful - by the time you outfit this saw with all the things it needs, you might have spent enough that you could've bought a pretty nice used saw. I would check the local auctions and craigslist before doing all this, you might just get lucky. I've seen beautiful machines sell for a few hundred bucks, and in the upper midwest you're in prime 40's, 50's beautiful cast iron machine territory.

Sorry I can't be more help here - without having a better idea of what that is, I can't say too much with any surety. And even then, I'm much better with the professional/industrial grade stuff.

Good luck - let me know if you do come across an old Oliver/Northfield/General/Delta/Rockwell/Powermatic/Tannewitz/Yates, etc., and want an opinion there. I had an old 5hp Oliver with a 3 foot sliding table that I sold for $500, a while back, and I bought my current Wadkin of about the same size for $600 a few years later - in today's economy I'll bet you could do better.

7. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't know if any of y'all are in Long Island or nearabouts, but I'm doing a little lecture/artist presentation thing tonight for the Long Island Craft Guild tonight in Syosset.

I'm pretty sure it's open to the public: http://www.licg.org/calendar.html

8. Firefnd1982

Firefnd1982
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

s
    Jesus fuck man, what the hell are you doing here?

9. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Right this minute? Making a gift for a friend's new baby, waiting for some paint to dry so I can hit it with the next stencil before I go to another friend's opening.

In general? I don't know - goofing off and killing free time, maybe helping people see that they don't have to be a cubicle jockey if they work at what they love, definitely sneaking in a little "trying to make young men act like better human beings, especially to women," trying to make people interested in the arts and occasionally laughing at some young'un who thinks I don't know what I'm talking about.

Mostly just goofing off, though.

10. Firefnd1982

Firefnd1982
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ohh so you're people too, just like the rest of us... Interesting.

11. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, I would like to build my wife a present.

It needs to NOT look like shit, but it doesn't need to be perfect, either.

She's into the rustic/antique/primitive shit. So far I've built her a jelly cabinet and another small cabinet, both of which she loves. This project, however, is much more difficult:

I want to build her a farmhouse table.

Something like this:

I'm looking to make it fairly large, probably 8' long. It doesn't need to look perfect, but I need it to be functional: We're supposed to have her family over for Easter, and it seems they've taken it upon themselves to invite extra people. It has to be built well enough to seat 8 to 10 and hold plates, silverware, food, etc. It doesn't need to be fancy, but since it will be permanently in our dining room, it needs to not look like something I banged together in three weeks (which is the time frame I have to get it done).

Attached Files:

12. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Looks like a great project.

What are you going to use for lumber? Do you have clamps to glue up the top, or is it finally time for me to draw and post a damned picture of the opposing wedge setup (I'll do it anyway, asap.)? Have you ever cut mortises and tenons before? Do you have a jointer or planer? Sorry I don't remember - tablesaw?

Hit me with your questions. You can do this, I think.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No idea on the lumber. I've seen plans online where people just use 2 x 10s or 2 x 12s. I have a few clamps, but the biggest I have are 24".

I have a small hand planer (18v Ryobi). My planing machine died. No, I don't have a jointer, and I've never cut mortises or tenons.

Table saw, yes, I have the ShopSmith that can handle that.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Other questions: I was debating doing tongue and groove on the table top. Worth it, or no? How about using dowels to put the table top on the frame?

15. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I was up north this weekend picking up the boat, and managed to get a picture of the manufacturing label: United by Newcorp

Attached Files:

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK, I have my basic design ready, so now I just some construction tips. Definitely want to see the opposing wedge setup, suapyg.

17. suapyg

suapyg
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sorry, man - If I haven't posted it by tomorrow afternoon, harass me mercilessly.

18. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

GET ON IT!!

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where, oh where has Swahpig gone? Oh where, oh where can he beeeeeeee?

20. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not making the furniture I'm working on, but I have no idea where else to put this. If it's off-topic - sorry.

For the last month I've been picking up various pieces of old furniture from random garage sales and Craigslist and then re-finishing and distressing them.

Here's my latest project. Distressed/beat-up nightstands:

Painted the kinda fancy looking old nightstands in white.

Then beat the shit out of them, to make them look like this.

I love the way they look. I know the old/distressed/beat up look isn't for everyone but it really suits our decor at home.
    I'm also working on re-finishing an old but amazing wood dresser, which I won't be painting or beating up. The wood is too beautiful. It just needs a little TLC. And I'm working on re-purposing an old door as a headboard, but I'm still undecided about what to do with the glass panels on the door I found. I certainly don't want glass on the headboard. I think I'd like to wrap fabric around a piece of wood/insert for each hole (I have no idea what the technical term for this is - and I'm not very good at explaining). Any other suggestions?

Tonight I'll be finishing up with another dresser, which I painted a grey-ish colour and then rubbed gel stain over over for a light antique look. The creases look awesome because there is some stain build-up in them.

I'm loving the way all these things look, but I really want each piece to be uniquely different. Not a fan of "everything the same." I have plenty of other pieces to place with.

Any tips or tricks for distressing/refinishing/revamping old furniture?

Attached Files: