Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used these plans for mine, tweaking the dimensions to meet the needs I had for my garage space. I had Home Depot rip the plywood down at the store on their panel saw so the pieces were easy to transport. First two cuts are free, and that's all you'll need.

With the recessed ends, you can easily clamp things down, and with a large enough clamp, you can do it on any edge (since it's just 5/8 plywood and a 2x4). I've used the bench to build a dining room table and King size bed frame, so I can vouch for it's ability to foster larger projects. The recessed edge also works great for hanging stuff underneath and out of the way.

The thing is solid as hell, since it's basically two decks with 16" on center joists tied together with the vertical stringers. I routinely stand on top of mine with no concerns.

Good luck with the project.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

FYI, if you're looking for lumber racks, Busy Bee has a hell of a deal on some pretty skookum shelves.

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/lumber-rack-6-shelf-system-craftex.html

They're on for $34 (almost half off), and I just put up 2 sets of them in the garage. I'm impressed. I looked around at Princess Auto, Home Despot, Lowes, etc, and nothing came close to the price.

Did a great job of getting my rough cut lumber off the floor.

[​IMG]

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks, i just bought 3 of them. Cheap enough that if i dont use all of them it isn't a big deal.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Almost 200 board feet of wormy maple, mahogany, and walnut.

Custom ceiling light fixture and wooden walls for the home office incoming.

F66D3ECC-7A56-4054-8C44-9455771CE75B.jpeg

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woodworking Idiots, I need your help. A couple of years ago I bought a teak outdoor patio furniture set and now it's time to do a bit of refreshing work as the weather warms up.

That being said, I've never done this before, so if anyone has any tips or tricks they'd like to offer, I'm all ears.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How has it been finished?

7. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm honestly not sure. I don't even know that it has. I just know that it's definitely gone grey over the past year so I'd like to freshen it up. Wasn't sure if I needed to do anything more than a light sanding and a coat or two of teak oil, or if that should cover it.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pressure wash it?

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My guess would be it’s hasn’t been finished then, teak naturally ages to a silver grey color, I’d pressure wash it under a low pressure setting and then a light sanding, then some teak oil.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed.

11. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great, that's what I was planning, but glad to have the confirmation from people obviously much more informed than I.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you and fuck you all at the same time, looks like i will be spending some money.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Do your part to stimulate the economy, you essential worker you.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

heads up that's only for canada. Not sure if you can order it from the US on the Canadian website with the borders closed and all that right now.

What's funny is I wouldn't bat an eye spending $500 on a gun. But a tool for $500 and my immediate reaction is "does it wipe my ass too?" Different tools for different fools I guess.

Really want a joiner though.

16. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A bit rough using a firearm to wipe your ass. There must still be some toilet paper available. Suggestion though, I'd avoid trying to use a shotgun for cleaning duties.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

You made an unintentionally hilarious joke.

In the early 90's, a gun manufacturer named one of their riot control shotguns the "Street Sweeper."

So yes, it was marketed as a literal tool for cleaning duties, in the very morbid sense. Because, USA in the 1990s, that's why. Riot control and military, and it stuck around for quite sometime despite being a complete bitch to load and an even bigger bitch to maintain. "Street sweeper" can also refer to the Thompson submachine gun -- though it was never marketed as such -- which was favored by prohibition-era pinstripe suit wearing gangsters as an efficient method of "cleaning the streets" during their drive-by and club shootings.

My shop vac works better though.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I prefer "The Room Broom."

19. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm about to turn a 3rd stall in a garage (already walled off and insulated) into a dedicated wood (stockmaking) shop. I still haven't decided on how exactly to heat and cool the thing. There's a window slot in the side that I'd board off either way so an A/C unit can go there, but the big question to me is heating. Wondering about a mini split, or electric heating unit. I'd rather not bother with a gas line and vent unless I have to. Any thoughts?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you do your own oil changes, an oil drip heater is crazy effective.

Personally I have a gas fired ceiling mounted infra-red that will keep my shop like a beach at noon if I wanted it to... but again, small gas line and a vent.

For me it's way, WAY less expensive than an electric heater (our gas is way cheaper than hydro), but you can get some pretty cheap electric ceiling mounted heaters. Depends on how often you're looking to run it I guess.

The Wood Whisperer just moved and redid his shop and did a video on "heating solutions"... might be worth watching.