Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20180402_1827282.jpg

Had to completely redo the bench. Because the floor isn't level on both planes. The posts for the table were only sitting on one corner. Well I measured out how far they were out to the 1/16" marked it out. Well what I did was I put an x on where it was touching and put a 3 or what ever on how high it was. So when I went to go cut the angle I never swapped them and just cut, so where it was touching it was still touching, but it was now double the height out.

So here is the bench. 1-1/8"OSB with 1/2"G1S plywood screwed from the under side so it is easy to change top.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Cyclone is working like a champ!

605F1032-542A-4388-8F7D-3782EA1DBD2E.jpeg

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Had a few pieces of hard maple laying around so made myself a new end-grain butcher block style cutting board:

It's pretty heavy, and has lots of surface area... with handy meat juice catching grooves. Right now it's just soaking up oil like crazy.

54550641471__A6E55BC2-25ED-4711-BA8D-B051F98D23AB.jpeg

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Spent some time in the shop today refinishing the cutting board a bit, and making a simple charcuterie board out of some birds-eye maple I had in the racks.

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

6. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I refurbished a cool old door at a property yesterday, versus just replacing it. Super heavy, I am a stong lad but it was about all I would want to move solo. Anyway, it was a ton of fun. Turned out really well.

Attached Files:

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Very cool! Nice job.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I have a workbench that is heavy ply covered in metal. I would like to attach a heavy bench vise to the top. I am thinking I need to bolt it all the way through and the metal may be enough to secure it. Do I need any anchors or anything to secure it in the plywood part? I may be overthinking this but I love my workbench and am trying to prevent this vise from pulling out and messing up my workspace.

Attached Files:

9. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Some big washers on bottom would probably do it. If you don't like how that feels, you can make a plate for the bottom, sandwiching the plywood.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So I don't know what it is, but it seems like there are a ton of great deals right now on pipe clamps.

I just picked up 8 of them (Bessey 3/4" pipe clamps) for $50, next day delivery from Amazon.

It also seems like others are having big discounts now as well.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone's looking for clamps... because really, what woodworker isn't?

IMG_5698.JPG

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

@bewildered Yeah, I'd probably get a metal plate for the underside of the bench top. That'll really help distribute the load. Some big, strong, well-fitting washers could also have the same effect, as Improper says. Just be sure to drill the holes the exact right size... any gaps/etc will help with it ripping up the bench top.

It also depends on what you're trying to do with the vise... are you banging or reefing on some wrought iron to bend up a new gate or are you just holding a lawn mower blade to gently file it?

#531 Nettdata, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The sky is the limit, but projects will probably not be as heavy as a wrought iron gate given my own physical limitations. Light to medium duty if I am being realistic.
    For sure I eventually need to bend some electrical conduit which I think is more of a gentle bending action, and will be also be bending some thinner steel pieces to make hanging barn door hardware. Hubs does stuff with his guns.
    A metal plate on the back for additional strength is the route I'll go. For stuff like this I like to err on the side of caution.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

FYI, Amazon also seems to be having a big sale on "do it yourself wax kits".

Not that I'm looking to do deforest my legs or anything, but for $14 it's a fucking cheap heater for waxes and finishes.

Last night I just did up a 4:1 mix of mineral oil and bees wax to redo my cutting boards, and it worked awesome. Heated it all up, wax melted into the oil, applied warm/hot, let it sit overnight and soak in, buff this morning, and it is a really nice cutting board finish that will last for quite a while.

IMG_5699.JPG

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

PS: If anyone is looking for any Chineseum beauty wax of various colours and asbestos content, let me know... I have some for cheap.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

you should know better then to say there is this sweet deal on Amazon without providing the link.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Gah.....you guys are gonna get me into trouble. I've already gotten a lot of deals of Amazon this season and I'm driving to home depot to look at miter saws now...

Edit.... "look"

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess for $14 you can't really complain, but I did it just by putting the oil and wax into a glass jar, and sitting that glass jar into a pot of water on the stove. Basically a poor man's double boiler. Also by picking a decorative jar they made a nice accessory gift to the cutting board I gave as a wedding present.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, but that's a pain in the ass when I want to do some warm finishes in the shop... having a $14 warmer that I can sit on the bench without worrying about going into the house and fucking with the stove is hugely worth the money.

Really like your idea of a "maintenance gift" that goes along with the board, though... hadn't thought of that. I'm making a puzzle board for my sister for Xmas and might just include something like that with it.