Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

The Woodworking Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by $100T2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ridgid has lifetime warranty, not sure about the delta.

If it’s me I am going with the Ridgid

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5-year limited warranty

I wouldn't rush. If the Rigid is the better saw and has a lifetime warranty, just order it from HomeDepot.com

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can't speak to the Delta, but I'm quite happy with the Ridgid in the little bit I've used it over the past few days. Huge difference between the contractor saw I was using before.

The only design thing I don't like is that the 4" dust collection chute is covered by the cam-arm for the wheels (which otherwise work great). All it meant is that I put a 45° ABS plastic bend piece on the end of it so that it angled away from the arm and my extraction hose can plug into it properly.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Based off some recommendations here, bit the bullet and got the $200 dewalt rolling miter saw stand. My god does that thing make life easier!!! Love that I can attach my miter saw once to it and it stores with the saw on it.

I’m normally a cheap ass so I’m glad I spent the extra money to get it right. It’s rated for 300 lbs because, I guess over-building things is fun?? I mean is there ever a realistic real scenario in which you’d need a miter saw stand to hold that kinda weight?

5. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I bought my big ass Hitachi compound miter it came with a rolling stand. It's such a game changer. My wife also bought me roller stands for Christmas so long pieces are a breeze.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the dewalt stand has arms that extend out to either side to accommodate up to 8 feet of wood. It's a nice luxury, given that before I was using a circular saw (or sometimes jig saw) on a costco folding table with various sawhorses and chairs to support the wood.

Now I have a dual bevel dewalt miter saw (not sliding), who's capabilities will far exceed anything I'll ever use it for.

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah the Hitachi does the same thing. Occasionally I get 12' stuff, plus the roller stands are nice for out feed from my planer and jointer.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just made a portable server rack for my electronics. Totally enclosed, filtered air (filtered vent on the bottom), temperature controlled fans, internal strip lighting (Hue colour strip), on wheels.

Made the top and bottom shelves out of some white, cheap metal shelving from Home Depot, cut to size, added to a wood frame, and then painted them with some leftover black bedliner spray that I had... turned out pretty well. Solid, and lots of airflow.

My 2 big APC's will sit on the bottom shelf, and my drives, network gear, and mini-computers (that power NAS and torrenting, Plex, etc) will sit on the top shelf.

The weird thing sticking out the back under the fans is a home-made cable trap that keeps the box somewhat air-tight while letting the cables in/out. Basically some high-density packing foam cut to size that will keep dust out and be somewhat air resistant.

All I'm waiting for is a piece of custom cut security glass for the front, wooden frame door, which will be mounted with hinges, and have a compression gasket around it and closed/locked with a couple of clasps on the side of the box.

It's on locking castor wheels, and specifically designed to fit all my gear exactly right, and to fit under my custom made desk with a half inch to spare.

One step closer to emptying my current office so I can demo it and do a complete custom reno.

All in all, that's about $20 worth of rough-cut pine I picked up months ago from a local saw mill... and I love how some of the wood had some weird colouring in it... saved it for the top and visible pieces. Only staining is a natural Danish Oil followed by a couple of thin applications of wipe-on poly.

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Awesome! And that helps me with a question: I bought a refinished antique chest of drawers that I converted into a TV stand. It currently has a PS3, PS4, Blu-ray home theater player and the cable box in it. I'm concerned about heat inside it, especially when either of the PlayStations are running. Is this a good option for my set-up?

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... it's got a temp probe and you can set up the controller to turn on the fans around specific temp setpoints.

If it's just a bit warm, it'll spin the fans up a little bit just to get air flowing.. if it's crazy hot, it'll run them full blast.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beautiful. I turned the drawer fronts to hinged covers to keep the wife's cats from going inside it to hang out. I would love to keep them closed and just run fans.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got the Ridgid saw. $529 before my veterans discount, so 480+tax

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think that's what I paid for my contractor's saw with stand, so yeah, sounds like you got a good deal.

Congrats!

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weight of 246 pounds. I can testify to that. Jesus.

16. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That cast top is a bitch that’s for sure. I could balance a nickel on the surface while the machine was running right out of the box.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah. It was 11pm when I put it together.

Alone.

Tipping the thing up was one of those “hmmm... this could go wrong” sketchy moments we all seem to have every now and then.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Picked up the glass piece for the front, hot-glued it in place, attached the front door hinges, wired up the lights, and attached the weather stripping.

The problem I have now is that the catches I wanted to use just aren't big enough to hold the door closed against the pressure of the weather stripping, so they'll get picked up tomorrow.

I'm really happy with how the security glass (with the wire mesh in it) looks.

IMG_4936.jpeg

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I have my 5'10", 112 pound 13 year old son to help. Too bad the Mastiff can't lift anything.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I'm missing something, but... what's the point of security glass if you hot-glue it on?